Astro: Is it quiet on here??

Old February 10th 07, 01:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Astro: Is it quiet on here??

Not exactly. It may sound like fun to those who haven't experienced it
but it kills several every year who feel as you do. Last one died just
down the road from me last week. His buddy was going to take the car the
half mile to the mail box. He called the guy a sissy. Put on his
snowmobile gear (no helmet unfortunately) and left. He got confused as
hypothermia set it. They found him hours later well off the drive where
he'd wandered "drunk" from a too cold brain. His face, arms and hands
were frozen solid when they found him. He was in his mid 50's and
should have known better.

Rick

Peter Hucker wrote:
Sounds fun to me, apart from the lower quality results of course.

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:50:15 -0600, Rick Johnson
wrote:

Obviously you haven't used a snow blower to clear a km of road at -36C
I did that last year. 20cm of snow, 8 foot wide road for a km at -36C
is NOT just scraping a windshield. That's no problem at all but have
you stood out at those temps in a 20 km wind guiding an exposure for 1.5
hours. I did that in my film days. That's NOT just scraping a
windshield. When the temp is -35C here the wind chill is more like
-50C. Unexposed skin freezes solid in seconds in those conditions.

Also seeing is awful, least it has been this cold snap.

I had 6" seeing last night 5" tonight. Forget imaging due to seeing alone.

Rick

Peter Hucker wrote:

I don't understand the obsession with temperature people have. Sure,
it's annoying having to scrape the car windscreen, but that's it.

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:45:06 GMT, "Muttsdanglers"
wrote:

-18!!!! where are you????
It goes to -2 here in sussex in the uk and we moan!!!

Paul

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
m...

Muttsdanglers wrote:

All i can see is 11 messages?? Blueyonder has been having a few server
problems but is them or is it just that everyone is outside snapping the
sky??

Paul

Probably, like me, they are under clouds. Full moon is also a pain and I
haven't been above -18C (0F) for 6 days now. And it is snowing. At least
no Florida twisters.

Rick

Old February 12th 07, 08:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker[_1_]

I don't get cold.

wrote:

-18!!!! where are you????
It goes to -2 here in sussex in the uk and we moan!!!

Paul

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
om...

Muttsdanglers wrote:

All i can see is 11 messages?? Blueyonder has been having a few server
problems but is them or is it just that everyone is outside snapping the
sky??

Paul

Probably, like me, they are under clouds. Full moon is also a pain and I
haven't been above -18C (0F) for 6 days now. And it is snowing. At least
no Florida twisters.

Rick

A beautiful young girl is about to undergo a minor operation.
She's laid on a trolley bed by a lady in a white dress and brought to the corridor.
Before they enter the room she leaves her behind the theatre door to go in and check whether everything is ready.
A young man wearing a white coat approaches, takes the sheet away and starts examining her naked body.
He walks away and talks to another man in a white coat.
The second man comes over and does the same examinations.
When a third man starts examining her body so closely, she grows impatient and says:
"All these examinations are fine and appreciated, but when are you going to start the operation?"
The man in the white coat shrugged his shoulders: "I have no idea. We're just painting the corridor."
Old February 14th 07, 02:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Peter Hucker" wrote
I don't get cold.

Peter,

Do you shovel snow? I expect about 3 feet of the stuff in my driveway
over the next 24 hours.

George N

Old February 14th 07, 02:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:
"Peter Hucker" wrote

I don't get cold.

Peter,

Do you shovel snow? I expect about 3 feet of the stuff in my driveway
over the next 24 hours.

George N

Sorry it hits at new moon. We need it very badly here. I'd even take
3' in one fall. We are really hurting here. I expect a lot of wildlife
has already been lost. With the -25F temps here they need snow to live
and there wasn't any. Only -10F tonight.

We are about 4' below normal so far this winter. If we don't get some
soon we are in a world of hurt. All we get are clouds without any
moisture falling from them.

Rick

Old February 14th 07, 08:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Do you shovel snow? I expect about 3 feet of the stuff in my driveway
over the next 24 hours.

Sorry it hits at new moon. We need it very badly here.......

Rick,

I've seen on the NOAA drought page that your area is extremely dry. On the
other hand New York has had the wettest year on record, with over 2000 homes
destroyed in my county and thousands more damaged by two floods in 2006. We
were not having much snow except downwind of the lakes, but as I write this
I'm watching the second 10 inches of 20 coming down. A friend who lives in
the Keys (and sometimes posts here) e-mailed me to say that the WSP has been
poor so far with over 9 inches of rain and no clear sky. They have a 'maybe'
for tonight, and then nothing. Plus it will be cold enough for coats and my
friend is worried because he has no heat in his house.

George N

Old February 16th 07, 07:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Peter Hucker[_1_]

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:07:00 GMT, "George Normandin"
wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote
I don't get cold.

Peter,

Do you shovel snow? I expect about 3 feet of the stuff in my driveway
over the next 24 hours.

George N

I would if you paid the air fare.

Although born to a Catholic family, Chester had always wanted to be Jewish. As a senior in college, he decided to take the plunge and go through the formal conversion process. He studied Judaism all semester. Finally, he felt he was ready to take the test and complete the conversion.
On the appointed day, he arrived at the Rabbi's office, ready to begin.
The Rabbi said, "I'm sorry, but before I give you the test, I must discuss my fee, It's $5000."
"$5000!" exclaimed Chester, "That's a lot of money. How about $500?"
"Congratulations, you pass." said the Rabbi.

The Quiet Sun EP Guy Amateur Astronomy 5 February 21st 06 05:17 AM
the quiet sun Tom Randy Amateur Astronomy 1 October 10th 05 11:45 PM
quiet sun [Mon July 18] nytecam Amateur Astronomy 0 July 18th 05 02:15 PM
quiet revolution Kent Paul Dolan Technology 0 February 24th 05 07:38 AM