Rutans White Knight as IR observatory

Old February 22nd 04, 12:16 PM
Carsten Nielsen

Default Rutans White Knight as IR observatory

In another thread:

SSTO propulsion overview

Gordon D. Pusch wrote

[Rutan's White Knight] is basically a big high aspect-ratio
sailplane-like design with a couple of jet engines --- essentially a
civilian re-invention of the U2 spyplane. It's top speed is at most
a few hundred knots!

That makes me think: The civilian astronomers must have wanted an U2
plane with upward looking cameras, for work you can't do on the
ground, like IR and similar work.

I know that NASA has a converted KC-135 (IIRC) for that sort of thing.

When they are finished flying StarShip 1, perhaps they could design a
pod with two IR cameras for the White Knight.

Or modify it to have the cameras on board.

Is White Knight able to cut the engines, glide and then restart after
the pictures are taken ? I suppose that's how Lockheed U2 worked.

Or how much would it take to add that capability ?

Regards

Carsten Nielsen
Denmark
Old February 23rd 04, 05:52 AM
MSu1049321

They already did/do use U-2's for this, NASA owns one that I knew of. Also did
some time using SR-71 blackbirds on loan, looking "up".

You don't cut the engines on the U-2 if you can help it, at the altitude you're
talking about, the difference between max speed and stall speed is a handful of
knots. Should the engine flame out, it would have to immediatley dive to keep
the airspeed inside the "coffin corner"... though on occasions when the U-2 has
flamed out, they have been known to glide across a significant amount of a
country before getting to an altitude where they have to worry about picking a
field...;-)

Anyhow, I think hyperpressure baloons are maybe a better deal for these
observations, since you get a much longer observing time, no thermal problems
from the platform itself, and no pilot with human needs and frailties.
Old February 23rd 04, 06:17 AM
Mike Ackerman

Carsten Nielsen wrote:

In another thread:

SSTO propulsion overview

Gordon D. Pusch wrote

[Rutan's White Knight] is basically a big high aspect-ratio
sailplane-like design with a couple of jet engines --- essentially a
civilian re-invention of the U2 spyplane. It's top speed is at most
a few hundred knots!

That makes me think: The civilian astronomers must have wanted an U2
plane with upward looking cameras, for work you can't do on the
ground, like IR and similar work.

I did a bit of reading on high altitude planes. The "Perseus B" is
driven by a propeller with a triple-turbocharged piston engine.

Mike Ackerman
Old February 26th 04, 04:46 AM
MSu1049321

So they crossed the intire Soviet Union on one tank full of fuel ?

I thought they glided a lot of time to stretch the fuel available, and
to cut the engine vibration during picture taking.

No, engines were never cut on purpose, though they did sometimes have flameouts
and compressor stalls.
The Soviet fly-overs were launched from nearby, in places like Peshawar,
Pakistan. The early missions, as you seem to suggest, didn't exactly fly
across the whole country on it's longest axis, rather, their courses were more
like loops or curved sections.