Advice request of moving image file format conversion.

Old May 28th 06, 09:02 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Advice request of moving image file format conversion.

A gentleman from Hampshire contacted me to say he'd recorded a fireball
event from 20th November 2005. He's forwarded a sequence of still
images, which I've assembled them into an animated GIF. You can view
these at the link below. The whole sequence is quite a large file
(~1MB), so you'll need broadband, or patience.

http://tinyurl.com/qzx64

The observer has the original recording as a VRO file. Can anyone
recommend a method, either software application or service, for
converting this to an AVI file, or something equally portable? I've
looked on Google, but got lost in the noise.
--
David Entwistle
Old May 28th 06, 09:04 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

David Entwistle wrote:

The observer has the original recording as a VRO file. Can anyone
recommend a method, either software application or service, for
converting this to an AVI file, or something equally portable? I've
looked on Google, but got lost in the noise.

If you email it to me I could give it a shot. I suspect VLC will cope
with it.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk
AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
Old May 28th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

In article , Jim
writes

If you email it to me I could give it a shot. I suspect VLC will cope
with it.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the offer. I understand that the original file is
unmanageably large, so the owner wouldn't be able to email it. It may be
easier for him to download the tool. Is this the web page for tool that
you're offering to try?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It handles lots of formats, but I can't see VRO on the input file format
list.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

--
David Entwistle
Old May 28th 06, 09:53 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

David Entwistle wrote:

Thanks for the offer. I understand that the original file is
unmanageably large, so the owner wouldn't be able to email it. It may be
easier for him to download the tool. Is this the web page for tool that
you're offering to try?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It handles lots of formats, but I can't see VRO on the input file format
list.

Yes, that's the tool I had in mind. You're right though, VRO isn't on
the list but I'd be inclined to try it anyway. It may be that VRO is
just another name for a supported format.

Jim
Old May 28th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Well I am glad that you posted this. I saw something about 2 or 3 years ago
one night that sped across the sky and got brighter, so bright that there
were shadows cast, and then disappeared. There was no noise at all so after
seeing your animation I must have seen one of these as well. What are these
fire balls

Old May 28th 06, 04:14 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

VRO is a particular type of MPEG2 format used mainly by Panasonic in their
Harddrive recorders and on their DVD-RAM disks. Although some PC players
will also play the files if you rename them .mpg, most run into problems
seeking or with the sound synchronisation.

Unless the OP needs VRO for a particular compatibility reason they would
probably be better off with a more widely used format.

regards,
Zippy.

Old May 29th 06, 07:52 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

In article , stephen Jessop
writes
Well I am glad that you posted this. I saw something about 2 or 3 years ago
one night that sped across the sky and got brighter, so bright that there
were shadows cast, and then disappeared. There was no noise at all so after
seeing your animation I must have seen one of these as well. What are these
fire balls

A fireball is just a bright meteor, or shooting star. Just how bright a
meteor needs to be to be classed as a fireball is an open question -
opinions vary, but typically a magnitude of -3 or brighter.

See the following link for more information.

http://www.imo.net/fireball
--
David Entwistle
Old May 29th 06, 07:54 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

The observer has the original recording as a VRO file. Can anyone
recommend a method, either software application or service, for
converting this to an AVI file, or something equally portable? I've
looked on Google, but got lost in the noise.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions - I'll pass them on.

--
David Entwistle