SCT, FR and wide field 2" eyepieces

Old August 2nd 05, 08:20 PM
szaki

Default SCT, FR and wide field 2" eyepieces

What 2" wide field eyepiece works on SCT telescopes using focus reducers?
I have a 2" Pentax 40 mm 65 FOV and it don't work with SCT focus
reducers installed. I had the C.6 FR lens before, now I have the
Denkmier Starsweaper. Later don't have vignetting problem, but stars
badly distorted.
JS
Old August 3rd 05, 07:38 AM

If you had read the manual (Celestron's) you'd know that it expressly
says not to use wideangle 2" EPs with the FR installed, due to
vignetting and field correction issues. You can still use shorter focal
length 2" EPs, from 16mm downward they're little affected.

Andrea T.

Old August 3rd 05, 03:23 PM

Apparently the original poster wasn't too happy of the combo 2" EP
(long focal length) and SCT+FR. The manual says why and off the top of
my head I seem to remember that from 32mm 2" EPs shouldn't be used with
FR, thereby confirm the "experimental" result of te original poster.
IOW, you're just wasting glass, costly glass. Let's be frank, SCTs
field correction is poor as they are, don't need a FR to reduce it
further.

Cheers

Andrea T.

Old August 3rd 05, 07:31 PM

A F/10 to F/6.3 focal reducer takes a 2" preimage from the optical
path and makes a 2"/f/10*f/6.3 = 2" * 6.3/10 = 1.26" circle of
illumination! In effect the FR takes a 2" FoV and smashes it down to a
1.25" FoV which coincidentally is the size of the typical eyepiece
(will wonders never cease).

Any eyepiece that has a wider field stop than 1.26" will vignette.
Therefore, a Focal Reducer is a device that enables one to avoid buying
2" eyepieces. The old Lumicon BIG reducer was/is a device that takes a
~3" image and creates an ~2" image and can be used with big eyepieces
with the 10" and larger SCTs.

However, the focus sharpness of the extended field from the main optics
is "not all that good", and you end up with a big field where the
center is acceptably focused and the outer ring of fuzz is anoying.