The Big Blow!

Old July 9th 05, 12:36 PM
Double-A

Default The Big Blow!

We once had a "hurricane" in Oregon back in 1962, although they didn't
want to call it one because it didn't originate in the tropics. I
heard at the time that it was part of storm called Typhoon Frieda, but
everyone forever after called it The Columbus Day Storm, or
affectionately, The Big Blow.

On the Oregon coast, wind gusts of 145 to 170 mph were measured. In
the city of Portland, which is in a fairly sheltered spot, winds of 116
mph were measured.

The storm is compared to a Category 3 or better hurricane.

I remember that day that the seasonal easterly winds were blowing
especially hard, already blowing tree branches onto the roads by the
afternoon. The weather forecasters seemed awfully reluctant to get out
an accurate forecast that day. "Don't panic the public!" seemed to be
the watchword back then. Still I seem to recall someone had mentioned
the word "Typhoon" on the air. But no one was taking it very
seriously, just going about their daily business at work and school.
There were no attempts to evacuate or get people to safe shelters.

At about 5:00 PM the hard East Wind out of the Columbia River Gorge
abruptly stopped blowing. There seemed to be a weird and unnatural
calm for about an hour. The as I looked out the door to the south,
there came from that direction a roar like from a freight train, the
roar of a mighty wind coursing through the tree tops, bending them like
grass!

The wind blew hard until about 2:00 AM. Fortunately our house was on a
northern slope so it was somewhat sheltered from the direct blast. But
our electricity went out, and we couldn't get it restored for three
weeks! It let us practice our survivalist skills.

I remember how devastated the was the countryside: trees blown down,
many across roads; roof damage evident everywhere; some roofs
completely blown off; my grandfather's apricot tree, which he had
planted from a pit, blown down in his back yard! Power and telephone
lines were devastated and service interrupted for up to weeks. The
roof was blown off Portland's sports stadium. It was a mess!

We have had some high windstorms since then, but nothing like that!

So you see Bert, I survived a hurricane right here in Oregon! They
just didn't want to call it a hurricane.

Double-A

http://www.answers.com/topic/columbus-day-storm-of-1962

http://www.wavecrestdiscoveries.com/..._day_storm.htm

http://www.historylink.org/db_images/ColumbusDay01.jpg

http://www.historicphotoarchive.com/images7/00452.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...o ff%26sa%3DG

Old July 9th 05, 02:26 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Double-A I was in the 1939 hurricane that hit Boston. That is also a
long way from Florida. Is it safe to say Florida is the hurricane
capital of the world?" We know its the lightening capital I still
feel bad for Discovery all alone out there sticking its nose to the sky.
It looks sad with its wings hanging down. Kind of looks like a big bird
trying to ****,but has constipation. I don't know why NASA painted that
huge fuel tank to look rusty. It should be painted red,white,and blue
with lots of stars. Some times looking at it gives me "since I hate it"
and Italian one figure solute. It gives me a one fingered solute,and I
give it a thumbs down. Well with all the rain,and salt spray
the Discovery is getting sitting out there on its launch pad "rusty
looking" fits Bert

Old July 9th 05, 08:19 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

HiC The only thing stealth about a shuttle is when it blows up over
Texas and its hard to find its parts. Beert

Old July 9th 05, 10:02 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

HiC when the Columbia's wing came off over Texas,and its parts were
thrown along a long path NASA never cared about its parts or human
parts,but gave a reward if you found the $25,000,000 dollar toilet. NASA
is big on toilets and that fits with the fact they are full of ****.
Bert

Old July 10th 05, 12:54 AM
Double-A

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
HiC when the Columbia's wing came off over Texas,and its parts were
thrown along a long path NASA never cared about its parts or human
parts,but gave a reward if you found the $25,000,000 dollar toilet. NASA
is big on toilets and that fits with the fact they are full of ****.
Bert

Were they pay toilets?

Double-A

Old July 10th 05, 02:07 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Yes Double-A they were $25,000,000 that was paid by us poor tax payers.
The Chinese astronauts will be sitting on the same toilets(copies) and
they are being built for $43.35 and they have padded seats and seat
belts. Have to be honest with you Double-A there were times when I had
to go I would have paid a million bucks for a toilet. I did tell the
true story when I had no nickel(Revere beach 1934) Bert