The smell of Titan ?

Old January 17th 05, 04:17 PM
Thierry

Default The smell of Titan ?

Hi,

Post addressed to a chemist.
What could be the smell of Titan ?
We start with a sort of smog, cold that fix somewhat all exhalaisons.
On the other side, there is wind, and methan rains melted with ammoniac in
an atmopshere containing over 80% of N2 and no O2 at all. But imagine that
we could breathe.
Several hydrocarbons fall onto the ground where they freeze and break
Ice can be constitued of water or ammoniac and is available in liquid or gas
under the ground
The ground is slightly warmed due to poor internal convective movements
The ground must thus free some ammoniac, methan and mix of hydrocarbons
smells.
What could be the equation of this special chemistry...

I think that this moon must smell bad if not worse...
Ammoniac + HCN + acid + carbon.... this doesn't smell rotten like on Venus,
but it must not be better...
A kind of "Mister Propre" mixed with a thick smell ammoniac or rather of
hycrocarbons like in the prebiotic experiment of Miller ? The opinion of a
chemist ?
What could be the strongest smell, more acid or organic ?

Thanks in advance
Thierry
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry

Old January 17th 05, 08:14 PM
Gil

I remember reading about the Apollo astronauts getting out of their EVA
suits after the moonwalks and how they had a strong charcoal-like
smell.

Old January 17th 05, 08:43 PM
Thierry

"Gil" wrote in message
ups.com...
I remember reading about the Apollo astronauts getting out of their EVA
suits after the moonwalks and how they had a strong charcoal-like
smell.

In the case of apollo, the smell comes from the air-system (I don't know the
word in English). Such systems can smell sugar too, etc. and are not
relevant in this case.
No, this is different. I mean the smell generated by the spoil, smog, smokes
and aerosols.
Something that could be acid, melted with smell of hydrocarbon going out of
the crust... who knows ? is there a chemist out there knowing somewhat titan
?

Thierry

Old January 18th 05, 01:30 AM
MrNightguy

Uuumm ..a huge meaty FART maybe?? peeewwwwww....

Old January 18th 05, 07:11 AM
banjead

You probably would be overcome instantly if you took one whiff.
Imagine being stuck in the paint room of an auto factory where they were
spraying .... cow dung and methanol and God only knows what else?

Old January 18th 05, 06:23 PM
John Carruthers

What could be the smell of Titan ?

"...I love the smell of Titan in the morning..."
jc

--
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jc_atm/

Old January 18th 05, 08:41 PM
John Denver

I'm waiting for the "scratch and sniff" photo in Sky & Tel :-

Old January 18th 05, 08:41 PM
John Denver

I'm waiting for the "scratch and sniff" photo in Sky & Tel :-

Old January 19th 05, 04:42 AM
Mij Adyaw

If there is a lot of methane gas, it would smell like and someone "cut the
cheese", or as someone else said in another thread, "like an astronaut
doogie".

Old January 19th 05, 04:53 AM
Nick Theodorakis

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:42:37 -0800, "Mij Adyaw"
wrote:

If there is a lot of methane gas, it would smell like and someone "cut the
cheese",

Methane is odorless.

Nick

--