revisiting Apollo

Old July 20th 04, 02:13 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Yoda" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...
Because the joke is on those responding. Like as in the joke is on you
because I couldnt care less either way. Your question of why
participate can easily be redirected back at you and all the other
dumbasses on here.

snip

Am not.

BV.

Old July 20th 04, 04:58 PM
Algomeysa2

"CeeBee" wrote in message
.84...

I really shouldn't add to this kind of threads, but recently I heard a
nice description of people obsessed with Moon hoax theories; their
behaviour was called "cultural vandalism".

They're the people feeling the need to scratch their names like in
objects of arts, historical buildings or landmark scientific
performances of human civilization.

Lacking any capability to contribute anything themselves they try to
damage the amazing performance of others with their imprint, with the
idea that hiking with truly gifted makes the hitchhiking vandal a bit
gifted too.

To give us a sad reminder of the fact that there are gifted people and
people without any gifts at all. It may sound as if they're despicable
weren't their behaviour so sad and pityful.

--
CeeBee

Also, as long as we reject the "they're just plain nuts" dismissal, I think
there's a bit of the Jolly Prankster in a lot of this stuff.

Take for example, the Hoagland Mars stuff:

No matter what NASA's next probe finds at Mars, shortly thereafter there'll
be webpages by kooks finding used car parts or whatever littering the
Martian terrain, blowing up the photos to the point where photo artifacts
become Rorschach tests for the viewer.

And they don't have any consistent view, it just seems like these people
have an unwritten assignment: Examine any photos from NASA of Mars and
keep looking til you find something that you can argue is evidence of
sentient aliens having Done Something On Mars In the Past (and NASA
conspiracy to cover up same; which is absurd, NASA would be jumping up and
clicking its heels and calling press conferences (as they did with the
rather dubious "life in Mars meteor" findings).

It's bizarre, because it's hard to believe that even the people coming up
with this stuff truly believe it, it's more like the game that Sherlock
Holmes fans play, where they examine the stories for minute details and
then, look in old issues of the London Times to confirm that, yes, it rained
on October 5, 1895, so that could be the date that such-and-such story took
place.

Surely these same people, when lounging on a grassy hilltop looking at
clouds, don't truly think the've spotted a real bunny when they see one in
the cloud shapes.

So it's more of a playground of the mind thing. The question becomes why
do they take it so seriously when they themselves must know it to be
nonsense? (again, unless "they're crazy" can be a stopping point).

It seems to me that they must somehow feel that injecting a bit of
controlled nonsense into reality has some sort of benefit; they want to put
a little static into the ho-hum clear signal of reality. A blow for freedom
against Groupthink, or something along those lines.

Or they're, knowingly or not, experimenting with memes... the kind of
ideas that jump from person to person like a virus, and spread.....

And successfully too, so that now, when you go to a party, bring up the Moon
landings and you can almost be sure that at least one person there will say,
"I heard those were all faked."

Old July 20th 04, 06:04 PM
Yoda

Not only is the joke on you, but you are a joke. Go down to the
supermarket, get yourself the most expensive vanilla pie you can find
and go home, hide in your closet and smack yourself with it.

Old July 21st 04, 01:32 AM
Dr_Postman

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:04:17 GMT, Yoda
wrote:

Not only is the joke on you, but you are a joke. Go down to the
supermarket, get yourself the most expensive vanilla pie you can find
and go home, hide in your closet and smack yourself with it.

Poor Brian, reduced to the occasional insult now. My how fast you
have fallen.

You are still on the ballot for Kook of the Month, though.

--
Dr.Postman USPS, MBMC, BsD; "Disgruntled, But Unarmed"
Member,Board of Directors of afa-b, SKEP-TI-CULT® member #15-51506-253.

"Did the Venus transit occur during sunset, idiot?"
- Grant,on the GLP web board, explains to us how
sunrise happens in NY and Asia at the same time.

Old July 26th 04, 09:40 AM
\\The Commentator//

Yoda wrote:

Jeff Quinn wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 23:02:57 GMT, in uk.sci.astronomy , Yoda
wrote:

You're the moron to believe that picture which clearly shows moon mud is
dust. Dust doesnt leave footprints.

And you have wide experience of making footprints in fine material in
low-gravity vacuum environments, and can therefore authoritatively state
this.

Yeah ok, moon dust has the consistency of mud due to its low gravity and
lack of an atmosphere.

Rest of your bull**** snipped.

When you get to High School you may learn some basic science and math
which will help you to understand.

But seeing as how fourth grade has been the toughest twelve years of
your life I would be prepared to wait if I were you.

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Astronomy Misc 15 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ v4 Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 1 November 4th 03 11:52 PM