Hipparcos - Calculating Distances

Old September 28th 03, 05:59 PM
David L. Collison

Default Hipparcos - Calculating Distances

Am wondering if anyone out there can explain to me how I calculate the
distance between various stars utilizing data in the Hipparcos Star
Cataloque.

My thanks in advance ...

Old September 28th 03, 06:49 PM
Greg Neill

"David L. Collison" wrote in message
Am wondering if anyone out there can explain to me how I calculate the
distance between various stars utilizing data in the Hipparcos Star
Cataloque.

My thanks in advance ...

D = 1/P

D = distance in parsecs
P = Parallax in arcseconds

Beware of the confidence interval.

I did an article on this very subject for issue #30 of
The Orrery.

Greg Neill
The Orrery: Models of Astronomical Systems
http://members.attcanada.ca/~gneill/orrery.html

Old September 28th 03, 10:41 PM
CeeBee

"David L. Collison" wrote in alt.astronomy:

Am wondering if anyone out there can explain to me how I calculate the
distance between various stars utilizing data in the Hipparcos Star
Cataloque.

My thanks in advance ...

You mean when you know the distance to star A and the distance to star B,
both from Earth, what is the distance between star A and B?

Well, if you know their angular separation a simple goniometrics calc does
the trick.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2