Is this for real?

Old September 9th 03, 07:47 AM
Bonnie Granat

Default Is this for real?

From text by Alan Dressler at http://origins.jpl.nasa.gov/about/index.html:

"In the first few decades of this new century astronomers will largely
complete the study of cosmology: the description of the universe on the
largest scales and how it works. With the Space Infrared Telescope Facility
(SIRTF) and the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) we will also begin to
write the final chapter of the story of galaxies, witnessing the actual
birth of these continents of stars. In particular we will chart
the13-billion-year history of the Milky Way Galaxy we inhabit, understanding
how the materials for new stars, planets, and life were generated and
distributed."

--------------
Seems a bit optimistic to me. Aren't these statements a bit outrageous, or
are they true?

--
___________________________
Bonnie Granat

Old September 9th 03, 08:12 AM
Joe Fischer

In sci.physics.relativity

Bonnie Granat wrote:
: From text by Alan Dressler at http://origins.jpl.nasa.gov/about/index.html:
:
: "In the first few decades of this new century astronomers will largely
: complete the study of cosmology: the description of the universe on the
: largest scales and how it works. With the Space Infrared Telescope Facility
: (SIRTF) and the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) we will also begin to
:
: Seems a bit optimistic to me.

Probably not, a couple = 2, several = 3 or 4, a few = 5, 6 or 7,
so in this in 50 years might even be conservative.

: Aren't these statements a bit outrageous, or are they true?

The only thing I might question is the accuracy
of the optical surface of the ultra-light mirror for the
next generation space telescope (if that is the JWST).

But there are things that observation may never
show, for instance if light is recycled half a universe
away building structures like the Magellanic Clouds,
things like that may have to come from speculation
and assumptions.

Joe Fischer

--
3
Old September 9th 03, 09:18 PM
Old Physics

Joe Fischer wrote in message ...
In sci.physics.relativity

Bonnie Granat wrote:
[...]

How can light be recycled? Why should the laws of physics be any
different half a universe away? Do you have references or is this
your own original idea?
I'm not being critical, your post is just more speculative than
I'm used to. Working on eternity just might have a future. sk
Old September 9th 03, 09:33 PM
Darrell

Have the read "The gods must be crazy" (p. 40) in this weeks (Sept 8, 2003)
issue of U.S. News? "The WMAP spacecraft mapped the cosmic background
radiation, the afterglow of the big bang.... Physicists analyzed this cosmic
"baby picture" to get a precise description of the universe today."

Old September 9th 03, 10:25 PM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"Bonnie Granat" wrote in
:

From text by Alan Dressler at
http://origins.jpl.nasa.gov/about/index.html:

"In the first few decades of this new century astronomers will largely
complete the study of cosmology: the description of the universe on
the largest scales and how it works. With the Space Infrared Telescope
Facility (SIRTF) and the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) we will
also begin to write the final chapter of the story of galaxies,
witnessing the actual birth of these continents of stars. In
particular we will chart the13-billion-year history of the Milky Way
Galaxy we inhabit, understanding how the materials for new stars,
planets, and life were generated and distributed."

--------------
Seems a bit optimistic to me. Aren't these statements a bit
outrageous, or are they true?

Ask again in 500 years :-).

Llanzlan.
Old September 10th 03, 06:49 AM
Bonnie Granat

Bonnie Granat wrote:
[...]

It's this that strikes me as a bit optimistic, but what do I know?

Old September 11th 03, 03:29 PM
mijoon

"Bonnie Granat" wrote in message
From text by Alan Dressler at

[...]

The liturature of 100 yrs ago was very similar in tone . We thought we knew
it all . Then came Einstein and others to demonstrate how little we really
knew . Our knowledge is increasing by leaps and bounds but our understanding
lags far behind .

Old September 12th 03, 12:39 AM
matthewwinston

Bonnie Granat wrote:

It's this that strikes me as a bit optimistic, but what do I know?

largely

: complete the study of cosmology: the description of the universe on the
: largest scales and how it works.

the universe only dates back to what 14 billion years?, it has a finite
expanding size

it should not be too difficult.