Gemini pictures on TV

Old August 5th 08, 04:13 AM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

Default Gemini pictures on TV

A friend pointed out to me a rather neat little site with
pictures of television coverage from several Gemini and Apollo
missions:
http://www.squareamerica.com/is.htm

And check out that Agena Display Panel, huh?

--
Joseph Nebus
Old August 5th 08, 04:49 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Joseph Nebus" wrote in message
A friend pointed out to me a rather neat little site with
pictures of television coverage from several Gemini and Apollo
missions:
http://www.squareamerica.com/is.htm

And check out that Agena Display Panel, huh?

Was that actually _on_ the Agena? I figure they had to be able to read the
propellant totals etc; but never thought the display was on the actual Agena
itself.

Old August 5th 08, 07:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:

Was that actually _on_ the Agena? I figure they had to be able to read the
propellant totals etc; but never thought the display was on the actual Agena
itself.

It was indeed on the Agena.
Info on it he http://www.astronautix.com/craft/gemhicle.htm

"The Gemini-ATV Status Panel (ASP), was mounted on the forward end of
the Target Docking Adapter of the Agena Target Vehicle where it was
visible to the astronauts in the Gemini spacecraft during and after the
docking maneuver. The panel displayed information on the status and
safety of the Agena propulsion, guidance, electrical power, and docking
systems. Originally, only eight Agena parameters were to be displayed in
the Gemini spacecraft; however, the number of parameters increased to
the point that the spacecraft no longer had the space or weight
capability to accommodate them. Accordingly, the panel was placed on the
Target Docking Adapter. The ASP system consisted of a display panel with
nine display lights and three analog dials and the necessary circuitry
which was distributed throughout the Gemini-ATV. When not in use, this
system was normally de-energized in order to save power; however, the
PPS and SPS Time Remaining Clocks were energized whenever the PPS or SPS
engines fire. Three of the twelve parameters displayed on the ASP panel,
indicated PPS status and three indicated SPS status. The Primary
Propulsion System displays were as follows:

* PPS Burn Time Remaining Clock
* "MAIN" Red Light
* "MAIN" Green Light

The Secondary Propulsion System displays were as follows:

* SPS Burn Time Remaining Clock
* "SEC HI" Green Light
* "SEC LO" Green Light

Requirements received from the astronauts stated that a dimming circuit
must be added to the ASP system, because the panel lights were found to
be too bright when the spacecraft docked with the GATV on the night side
of the earth. Consequently, a dimming circuit was added to reduce or
increase the brightness to the desired level. The dimming circuit
functions on all lights except MAIN Red which was always bright when
"ON". In order to improve reliability, two lamps were incorporated in
each indicator light."

Pat

Old August 5th 08, 08:07 AM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

"Alan Erskine" wrote:

"Joseph Nebus" wrote in message
A friend pointed out to me a rather neat little site with
pictures of television coverage from several Gemini and Apollo
missions:
http://www.squareamerica.com/is.htm

And check out that Agena Display Panel, huh?

Was that actually _on_ the Agena?

Yes.

It can just barely be seen above the alignment notch in the docking
cone he http://www.apollomissionphotos.com/gemini/s6561615.jpg

A better view is he
http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/IMAGES/SMALL...000-001355.jpg
(google doesn't properly link to this image, so I cannot locate the
high res if one exists.)

It's not commonly seen because it's very small and tucked between the
docking cone and the vehicle skin.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old August 5th 08, 08:45 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message

It's not commonly seen because it's very small and tucked between the
docking cone and the vehicle skin.

Thanks to both Pat and Derek for the information. I _have_ actually seen it
before, but didn't know it was an instrument panel.

welli'llbedarned...

Old August 5th 08, 08:49 AM posted to sci.space.history
Dave Michelson

Derek Lyons wrote:

A better view is he
http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/IMAGES/SMALL...000-001355.jpg
(google doesn't properly link to this image, so I cannot locate the
high res if one exists.)

The high resolution (3000x3000 pixel) version can be found at

http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/IMAGES/LARGE...000-001355.jpg

(Quite a bit higher resolution than the 640x640 version in the SMALL
directory.)

--
Dave Michelson

Old August 5th 08, 10:57 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Dave Michelson" wrote in message
newsCTlk.114168$kx.5970@pd7urf3no...
Derek Lyons wrote:

A better view is he
http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/IMAGES/SMALL...000-001355.jpg
(google doesn't properly link to this image, so I cannot locate the
high res if one exists.)

The high resolution (3000x3000 pixel) version can be found at

http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/IMAGES/LARGE...000-001355.jpg

(Quite a bit higher resolution than the 640x640 version in the SMALL
directory.)

Also shows whoever did the docking, they did a damn good job - no dents or
scratches on the notch at all.

Old August 5th 08, 02:47 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:

Thanks to both Pat and Derek for the information. I _have_ actually seen it
before, but didn't know it was an instrument panel.

welli'llbedarned...

I always wondered how exactly the Agena docking assembly locked on to
the Gemini nosecone.
Anyone have info on that?

Pat
Old August 5th 08, 04:00 PM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

I always wondered how exactly the Agena docking assembly locked on to
the Gemini nosecone.
Anyone have info on that?

Motor driven latches on the docking cone IIRC.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

M35 in Gemini Anthony Ayiomamitis Amateur Astronomy 7 January 14th 07 03:21 AM
Gemini Ken Webster History 6 May 25th 05 06:57 AM
How did they get the Gemini-Rogallo test vehicle airborne? [ Big G Gemini Question] John Charles History 14 December 6th 04 01:38 AM
Gemini Toma Amateur Astronomy 1 December 16th 03 07:10 AM
Gemini-3 Crew did simulated countdown in Gemini-2 Rusty B History 5 November 23rd 03 06:59 PM