Is 8 mm eye relief a problem?

Old January 29th 05, 06:47 AM
ROM SPACE KNIGHT NURSE

Default Is 8 mm eye relief a problem?

I posted a question about the Orion Little Giant binocs and one of the
relief is 8 mm. Is this a problem? I don't wear glasses. Does that short
eye relief mean I'd have to have my eye sockets buried into the eye
cups? thanks for answers...it's a big expenditure for me and I don't
want to buy a hassle.

TOM CREAN IS APPARENTLY NOTHING WITHOUT DWYANE WADE

Old January 29th 05, 04:05 PM
starlord

You could ask the users of the Bino-net

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

Old January 29th 05, 06:23 PM
SaberScorpX

ROM SPACE KNIGHT NURSE wrote:
I posted a question about the Orion Little Giant binocs and one of

the
relief is 8 mm. Is this a problem? I don't wear glasses. Does that

short
eye relief mean I'd have to have my eye sockets buried into the eye
cups?

It's another personal preference.
I don't wear glasses either, but still prefer a longer eye-relief.
Taking-in the entire FOV with insufficient ER can be uncomfortable on
the eye sockets. Another consideration is the additional ER needed with
the eyeguards extended. Longer ER also helps avoid contact between
their eyelashes and the eyepieces which can smear the lenses with
residual oils/dirt.

Old January 29th 05, 10:04 PM
SaberScorpX

ROM SPACE KNIGHT NURSE wrote:
I don't wear glasses. Does that

short
eye relief mean I'd have to have my eye sockets buried into the eye
cups?

It's another personal preference.
I don't wear glasses either, but still prefer a longer eye-relief.
Taking-in the entire FOV with insufficient ER can be uncomfortable on
the eye sockets. Another consideration is the additional ER needed

with
the eyeguards extended. Longer ER also helps avoid contact between
one's eyelashes and the eyepieces which can smear the lenses with
residual oils/dirt.

It should be added that there is such a thing as 'extraneous'
eye-relief.
While eyeglass wearers are very content with 20mm of ER (15-18mms being
a tolerable minimum), those without glasses may experience a field
'blackout' when their eye placement is too close (extending the
eyeguards will usually compensate for this).
Generous eye-relief, however, is certainly better than not having
enough.