MSNBC (JimO) - Hubble debate -- a lot of sound and fury

Old March 23rd 04, 06:49 AM
JimO

Default MSNBC (JimO) - Hubble debate -- a lot of sound and fury

MSNBC - Hubble debate -- a lot of sound and fury
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4580820/

Hubble debate
a lot of sound and fury
Politics and posturing aside,
NASA's actually right this time

COMMENTARY
By James Oberg
NBC News space analyst
Special to MSNBC
Updated: 9:49 p.m. ET March 22, 2004HOUSTON - The premature termination of
the
Hubble telescope's mission is dismaying, even heart-breaking. But even more
appalling has been the aftermath of the decision. While NASA made ghastly
blunders in announcing and explaining the decision to cancel a needed repair
mission, the public furor that has ensued is based on fundamental
misunderstandings and misconception mixed with posturing and politics.

Old March 23rd 04, 08:11 AM
William Elliot

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, JimO wrote:

MSNBC - Hubble debate -- a lot of sound and fury
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4580820/
Hubble debate
a lot of sound and fury
Politics and posturing aside,
NASA's actually right this time

Hubble telescope's mission is dismaying, even heart-breaking. But even more
appalling has been the aftermath of the decision. While NASA made ghastly
blunders in announcing and explaining the decision to cancel a needed repair
mission, the public furor that has ensued is based on fundamental
misunderstandings and misconception mixed with posturing and politics.

Experience has loudly demonstrated major misunderstandings and
misconceptions pour forth from the Bushwhacky in a flood of corruption.

Add the Hubble scuddle to the huge list of Budget Busting Bush's Blunders.

He's also accomplishing a national reputation for lying,
as if we didn't already know that with his election cue.

The self proclaim 'war president' is interested in two things,
pillaging and looting of USA as gift to his mega-rich cronies
and US economic/military dominance and control of the world.

Anything else? Oh yes, purchasing a reelection and reviving the draft.
Old March 23rd 04, 02:53 PM
Thomas Lee Elifritz

March 23, 2004

JimO wrote:

Hubble telescope's mission is dismaying, even heart-breaking. But even more
appalling has been the aftermath of the decision. While NASA made ghastly
blunders in announcing and explaining the decision to cancel a needed repair
mission, the public furor that has ensued is based on fundamental
misunderstandings and misconception mixed with posturing and politics.

Jim, there is nothing to debate. If NASA can't fly and existing system with
existing hardware to repair an existing space telescope, something they have
done several times in the past already, surely they can't get US to the Moon or
Mars with totally new hardware. Land on the Moon and Mars? What's up with that?
We want to fly in space, Jim, you know, floating, micro G, that kind of stuff. I
can get plenty of that gravity right here on Earth. I want NASA to protect the
home planet, as only NASA can, and they are doing damn little of that right now.

Jim, where is the SSTO? Where is the RLV? Where is the CRV? Where is the OSP?

Give US a break, ok? You're transparent. You're melting.

Danger, Will Robinson, Danger ...

Thomas Lee Elifritz
http://elifritz.members.atlatnic.net

Old March 23rd 04, 02:59 PM
BenignVanilla

"William Elliot" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, JimO wrote:

[...]

Oh can it. Bush didn't make this decision. NASA is under fire for the safety
of the shuttle. They know they can only make "so" safe, so they are taking
the politically safe path, and not launching to the Hubble. The nation cried
foul when the second shuttle was lost, and NASA is responding in CYA
fashion. Who can blame them? We can't have it both ways. We either need to
except the risks as they are or let NASA make the decisions as they see fit.

Bush has nothing to do with this.

BV.

Old March 23rd 04, 06:51 PM
Rand Simberg

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:43:18 GMT, in a place far, far away, Bruce
Palmer made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

MSNBC - Hubble debate -- a lot of sound and fury
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4580820/

"When Jones went into harm’s way, he had a fleet (and active naval
yards) and could afford to loose a few ships. We can’t."

Ignoring the loose spelling of the word "lose," I disagree. This
statement would have been true on January 13th, but once we made a
decision to phase out the Shuttle, I think that in fact we can afford
to lose another orbiter, and Hubble is worth that (very small) risk.
Old March 23rd 04, 07:27 PM
Scott Schwartz

We just need enough room in one to ship all of the politicians up... That's
alot of people but we can stack em up pretty good. They will be conducting
surface temperature studies on the Sun

Old March 23rd 04, 07:28 PM
Derek Lyons

"JimO" wrote:

MSNBC - Hubble debate -- a lot of sound and fury
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4580820/

The amusing part in the whole debate is the public's changed attitude
towards Hubble. A decade ago Hubble was post-Challenger proof that
NASA couldn't do anything right (Along with the floundering
SSF/SSA/ISS program).

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old March 23rd 04, 10:35 PM
Richard Lamb

Derek Lyons wrote:

"JimO" wrote:

MSNBC - Hubble debate -- a lot of sound and fury
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4580820/

The amusing part in the whole debate is the public's changed attitude
towards Hubble. A decade ago Hubble was post-Challenger proof that
NASA couldn't do anything right (Along with the floundering
SSF/SSA/ISS program).

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Not taking exception with this, but....

Public Opinion seems to be what ever the media says it is.

Until the news media finds profit in reporting good news,
expect the worst.

Richard
Old March 23rd 04, 10:39 PM
John Doe

BenignVanilla wrote:
the politically safe path, and not launching to the Hubble. The nation cried
foul when the second shuttle was lost, and NASA is responding in CYA
fashion

Did the nation really cry foul ?

If NASA can't fly the shuttle to Hubble for safety reasons, that it shouldn't
be flying it at all. Shuttle was designed for that type of mission, it isn't
as if you're asking it to be outfitted with additional SRBs that could send it
to the moon.

While I can understand a Hubble mission can't be flown until they have the
right self-contained repair procedures, I think it is important for NASA to
get those. That expertise isn't required just for Shuttle, but for all
subsequent vehicles. Being able to fix stuff in space is very important,
especially if you're going beyond LEO for long durations.

And yes, this means that NASA needs to widen the envelope of EVA procedures to
find safe ways for Crew members to go to places they are currently prohibited
from going.

In fact, NASA's refusal to go to Hubble means that NASA isn't confortable for
the Shuttle's safety. The day NASA re-instantes the HUbble flights is the day
I will trust that NASA has truly ficed the foam problems and implemented CAIB recommendations.
Old March 24th 04, 02:05 AM
Derek Lyons

Richard Lamb wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:

"JimO" wrote:

MSNBC - Hubble debate -- a lot of sound and fury
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4580820/

The amusing part in the whole debate is the public's changed attitude
towards Hubble. A decade ago Hubble was post-Challenger proof that
NASA couldn't do anything right (Along with the floundering
SSF/SSA/ISS program).

Not taking exception with this, but....

Public Opinion seems to be what ever the media says it is.

Media reports seem to match the opinions of my non-space enthusiast
aquaintences. Maybe chicken-and-egg though.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.