Columbia Accident Investigation Board Issues Preliminary Recommendation Five: On-Board Ascent Imaging

Old August 1st 03, 03:43 PM
Jacques van Oene

Default Columbia Accident Investigation Board Issues Preliminary Recommendation Five: On-Board Ascent Imaging

For Immediate Release
CAIB PA 38-03

Date: July 30, 2003

Contact: Lt. Col Woody Woodyard, 703-416-3532
Laura Brown, 703-416-3532 or 281-467-8657

Columbia Accident Investigation Board Issues Preliminary Recommendation
Five: On-Board Ascent Imaging

ARLINGTON, VA - The Columbia Accident Investigation Board today issued its
fifth preliminary finding and recommendation to the National Aeronautics and
Space Administration, in advance of its appearance in the final report.

Recommendation Five:
Provide a capability to obtain and downlink high-resolution images of the
External Tank (ET) after ET separation. Modifying one of the two umbilical
cameras to meet this requirement is acceptable.

Provide a capability to obtain and downlink high-resolution images of the
underside of the orbiter leading edge system and forward section of both
wings' Thermal Protection System (TPS).

Facts:

Imaging the Space Shuttle System during launch and ascent provides necessary
engineering data including the ability to examine the Space Shuttle System
for any unexpected debris or other anomalies during ascent.

The Shuttle has two on-board cameras that image the ET after separation, but
the images from these cameras are available only post-flight.

Very little engineering quality, on-board imaging of the ET was available
for STS-107.

Findings:

There is a requirement to obtain and downlink on-board engineering quality
imaging from the vehicle during launch and ascent.

Background:

The Space Shuttle is still a developmental vehicle, and engineering data
from each launch is essential to further understand the vehicle.

An ability to provide engineering quality imaging data of the ET after
separation is important to determine if any debris from the ET was shed
during ascent.

Since the total elimination of all sources of debris has not yet been
achieved, a much better understanding of all the potential sources of debris
is required.

Since the total elimination of all sources of debris has not yet been
achieved, early detection of debris strikes against the forward underwing
TPS of both wings will increase safety margins.

The CAIB is aware of the excellent preliminary work already in progress at
NASA in this area.

--
----

Jacques :-)

Editor: www.spacepatches.info

Old August 1st 03, 03:54 PM
Craig Fink

Add a couple of cameras to the ET and take some video of the Orbiter's
bottom for downlink.

Craig Fink

Jacques van Oene wrote:

For Immediate Release
CAIB PA 38-03

Old August 1st 03, 05:33 PM
Brian Gaff

Thinking as I type this, but surely the cameras will have to be both wide
angle and very high res bevcuase the wide anglness(:-)) will make the detail
very hard to see. I guess some form of very wide screen mode could be used,
but whatever it uses, they are going to have to watch the lenses as the
boosters come loose, I fancy.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff....
Email:

Old August 1st 03, 06:52 PM
kenb

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message:

Thinking as I type this, but surely the cameras will have to be both wide
angle and very high res bevcuase the wide anglness(:-)) will make the

detail
very hard to see. I guess some form of very wide screen mode could be

used,
but whatever it uses, they are going to have to watch the lenses as the
boosters come loose, I fancy.

I'd imagine the lighting conditions at ET sep will require much thought
as well, as the angle of the sun and reflected light from Earth will be
unique to each flight depending on inclination and what time of day they
launch.

--
Sent to you by Ken at:

replace 'who?' with 'b2' for email

Old August 2nd 03, 10:56 AM
Brian Gaff

"kenb" wrote in message
. ..

| "Brian Gaff" wrote in message:
|
| Thinking as I type this, but surely the cameras will have to be both
wide
| angle and very high res bevcuase the wide anglness(:-)) will make the
| detail
| very hard to see. I guess some form of very wide screen mode could be
| used,
| but whatever it uses, they are going to have to watch the lenses as the
| boosters come loose, I fancy.
|
| I'd imagine the lighting conditions at ET sep will require much
thought
| as well, as the angle of the sun and reflected light from Earth will be
| unique to each flight depending on inclination and what time of day they
| launch.
|
| --
| Sent to you by Ken at:
|
| replace 'who?' with 'b2' for email

Could some form of radar be used to look at these surfaces, from the tank?
Maybe milimetric scanned repeatedly?

Brian

--
Brian Gaff....
Email:

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old August 2nd 03, 11:28 PM
Terrence Daniels

Default Recommendation 5.7, etc.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Could some form of radar be used to look at these surfaces, from the tank?
Maybe milimetric scanned repeatedly?

I doubt that foam would reflect radar very well, and I think you'd have to
make quite a bit of room in the belly somewhere for an MMW radar that would
be used only for a little while. A LIDAR System might work better, though,
and it wouldn't take up as much space.