Ok- poll time!

Old August 23rd 04, 02:49 AM
Ian Woollard

Default Ok- poll time!

If you had 'sufficient resources' what is the best way for people to go
into space for tourism within the next ten years?

Guidelines:

1) No current unobtainium/wishalloy permitted

That means space elevators are OUT- we dont have the nanotubes-sorry!
Only stuff we know how to do right now. That also means no scramjets.

2) cheap is good (optimise for per-launch costs)

By best I mean cheapest per person. You can launch them one at a time or
thousands at a time. Fractions of a person is no good :-) Costs need not
include R&D, but must include building launch vehicles and
repair/replacement and all the usual costs (like wages etc).

3) You are allowed $20 billion in 2004 US dollars for your R&D

Go ahead- knock us out- what's the best way that can reasonably work
right now?

It's just a bit of fun. There is a wishalloy cup for the winner. (Or
atleast you'll wish you had one).
Old August 23rd 04, 04:56 AM
Pete Lynn

"Ian Woollard" wrote in message
[...]

My current best guess...

Two stage air launched LOX/kero with vertical rocket landing for both
stages at the air launch site.

The airlaunch vehicle would just be a standard type aircraft with the
rocket vehicle held on a separate wheeled cradle/gondola. This would be
supported on a bridle below the aircraft's main wing and fuselage, being
towed down the runway prior to takeoff, (like a glider but without
wings). It would launch at perhaps only a ten kilometer altitude, up
range allowing the lower stage to easily land at the air launch site.

The lower stage might be a long the lines of the Armadillo vehicles,
though perhaps with LOX and pumped engines, OTS.

Upper stage might be a very short and large diameter capsule, (extremely
fluffy saucer shape). Integral LOX/hydrocarbon engines and tanks with
rocket powered vertical landing. A reusable reentry shield might be
desirable, perhaps water cooled, though this would require development.
Perhaps toroidal tanks with a spacious payload/passenger area in the
centre.

Size? Perhaps in the 1-10 ton payload range, depending on market and
funding. This should be well within the lift capacity of OTS aircraft.

Cost? Hopefully less than $200 million till first use, with additional
bigger, better, cheaper vehicles added in response to market forces.
Cost to LEO should hopefully quickly get below $100/kg.

Note, $20 billion does not sound like CATS to me.

Pete.