Gyroscope Solution

Old October 25th 11, 09:16 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
John Schutkeker[_2_]

Default Gyroscope Solution

I am sending out preprints to my mathematical solution of the
gyroscope. If anybody would like one, please contact me. I also need
a sponsor for arXiv submission privileges, so that I can publish it
for then general audience. If anybody can help me with that, I would
be very grateful.
Old October 25th 11, 09:51 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
John Schutkeker[_2_]

On Oct 25, 4:48*pm, eric gisse wrote:
John Schutkeker wrote in news:9933f145-b245-
:

I am sending out preprints to my mathematical solution of the
gyroscope. *If anybody would like one, please contact me. *I also need
a sponsor for arXiv submission privileges, so that I can publish it
for then general audience. *If anybody can help me with that, I would
be very grateful.

Why would you publish a homework solution to arXiv?

Send me a link to this homework solution.
Old October 25th 11, 10:09 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Schutkeker:

On Oct 25, 1:16*pm, John Schutkeker wrote:
I am sending out preprints to my mathematical solution
of the gyroscope. *If anybody would like one, please
contact me. *I also need a sponsor for arXiv submission
privileges, so that I can publish it for then general audience.
*If anybody can help me with that, I would be very grateful.

You might talk the authors of these papers:
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9909054
http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.5288
http://arxiv.org/abs/0804.0939
http://arxiv.org/abs/0708.2490
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0703090
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0310163
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0009062
.... they might be able to help.

I am reminded of a vacant office in the short-order shop of a machine
shop I used to work at. It had belonged to a fellow that spent a good
part of 17 years designing a bearing race for mechanical gyroscopes,
that would prevent the individual ball bearings from "ever" rolling on
exactly the same place twice. Presumably displacing bearing failure
out a few more years...

Then the competition came up with laser gyros...

David A. Smith
Old October 25th 11, 11:16 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
konyberg

On Oct 25, 10:16*pm, John Schutkeker
wrote:
I am sending out preprints to my mathematical solution of the
gyroscope. *If anybody would like one, please contact me. *I also need
a sponsor for arXiv submission privileges, so that I can publish it
for then general audience. *If anybody can help me with that, I would
be very grateful.

Why don't you just publish your solution here? It's free!

KON
Old October 26th 11, 12:54 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
eric gisse

dlzc wrote in news:3e5d99bc-d69f-4adf-9e5f-1190ac34a2f9
@q39g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Doesn't mean the knowledge is useless. Mechanical bearings are still
used everywhere.

Regarding the actual topic, he sent me a copy of the article (for some
reason) and all he does is take the solution for the symmetric top
developed in Goldstein (and any other textbook that covers rigid body
kinematics...) and work through to a some sort of closed form solution.

He wants a homework problem published in arXiv.

Old October 26th 11, 01:06 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
eric gisse

John Schutkeker wrote in news:3b81ef87-b9af-
:

On Oct 25, 4:48*pm, eric gisse wrote:
John Schutkeker wrote in news:9933f145-

b245-
:

I am sending out preprints to my mathematical solution of the
gyroscope. *If anybody would like one, please contact me. *I also n

eed
a sponsor for arXiv submission privileges, so that I can publish it
for then general audience. *If anybody can help me with that, I

would
be very grateful.

Why would you publish a homework solution to arXiv?

Send me a link to this homework solution.

Goldstein, _Classical Mechanics_, 3rd. ed.

Exercise 9 and 26, where the same thing is done in a slightly different
form.

Or section 5.7: "THE HEAVY SYMMETRICAL TOP WITH ONE POINT FIXED"

The exercise is reduced to an elliptic integral, equation 5.63, which
has no closed form solutions for arbitrary parameters.

While it is a pleasant change of pace for someone to actually do a
computation, it isn't all that interesting given I can generate
approximate solutions to the Elliptic integral using what's in my CRC,
or give the answer to arbitrary position using mathematical library
functions that are built into every programmling and scripting language
I have ever seen.

In fact, this is exactly what you do: you state the answer in the form
of an Elliptic integral. This is correct, but uninteresting.

What you also do is attempt to analyze the kinds of motion permitted for
that solution. Which is also done in the remainder of section 5.7 in
Goldstein.

So what you have is not new and not abundantly interesting to anyone who
has seen a graduate textbook in classical mechanics. Now if you had an
interesting take on the subject, the best place to put it would be in
something like American Journal of Physics which publishes that type of
thing, but you don't.

But seriously, nice try. Its' far above the usual fare from around here.
Old October 26th 11, 08:24 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
Martin Brown

On 25/10/2011 21:51, John Schutkeker wrote:
On Oct 25, 4:48 pm, eric wrote:
John wrote in news:9933f145-b245-
:

I am sending out preprints to my mathematical solution of the
gyroscope. If anybody would like one, please contact me. I also need
a sponsor for arXiv submission privileges, so that I can publish it
for then general audience. If anybody can help me with that, I would
be very grateful.

Why would you publish a homework solution to arXiv?

Send me a link to this homework solution.

It is generally taught in second year dynamics at university - at about
the same time as rotating frames of reference (for obvious reasons). You
could do worse than look in Kibble, Classical Mechanics.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classical-Me.../dp/1860944353
(I presume it is still in the latest edition)

Why would anyone apart from perhaps the late misguided Professor Eric
Laithwaite who did an embarrassing series of Royal Institution Christmas
lectures where he made various insane claims about the properties of
gyroscopes need this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Laithwaite

He was even granted a US patent on his device United States Patent,
Number 5860317 - just shows that USPTO only care if your dollars are
green and in sufficient quantity for granting patents.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 26th 11, 11:30 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
jim

You might talk the authors of these papers:http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9909054ht.../gr-qc/0009062
... they might be able to help.

I am reminded of a vacant office in the short-order shop of a machine
shop I used to work at. *It had belonged to a fellow that spent a good
part of 17 years designing a bearing race for mechanical gyroscopes,
that would prevent the individual ball bearings from "ever" rolling on
exactly the same place twice. *Presumably displacing bearing failure
out a few more years...

Then the competition came up with laser gyros...

David A. Smith

Many people in physics still can't understand that gyros only work
on Earth navigation.
So, the people working in electronics still work on ICs,
Holographics, Arificial Diamonds,
Buckeyballs, Satellites, 21st computers, full time.

The people working in computers still work on 21st century
xerographics,
post ASCII nano, and optical fibers full time.

The people who work on energy production still work on fusion,
orbital solar energy,
and Post incandescent lighting full time.

Old October 26th 11, 11:38 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
Dirk Van de moortel[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Isn' it a good thing that some people still work on UCP?

Dirk Vdm