SR time dilation on remote objects ?

Old July 7th 04, 04:32 PM
Bjoern Feuerbacher

Default SR time dilation on remote objects ?

vonroach wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:56:04 +0200, Bjoern Feuerbacher
wrote:

vonroach wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 14:34:51 +0200, Bjoern Feuerbacher
wrote:

And this is still irrelevant for cosmology.

Can a galaxy moving through the cosmos at 1/2 the speed of another
galaxy claim to be older?

Speed relative to what?

The other galaxy as I read the interrogatory.

Sorry, but "a galaxy moving through the cosmos at 1/2 the speed of
another galaxy relative to the other galaxy" makes no sense.

You can use either rotation or translation.

From the context, translation was meant.

(`1/2 the speed of another' is a comparison
of one relative to the other speed?)

I didn't want a comparison of the magnitudes of the speeds. I wanted
to know relative to what the velocity is.

Bye,
Bjoern
Old July 7th 04, 04:45 PM
Bjoern Feuerbacher

Marcel Luttgens wrote:

Marcel Luttgens wrote:

SR time dilation on remote objects ?

A remark to all GRists:

Instead of quibbling about formulae incorporating the "assumed"
space expansion, (pseudo-)cosmologists should better give their opinion
about

The "Triplets" thought experiment (Adapted from the "Twin paradox")

Why? It is irrelevant for the cosmological time dilation.

Why is it irrelevant?

Because you keep acting as if the cosmological time dilation had
to do something with the velocity.

Are not remote galaxies receeding from
Earth with some velocity, which is a function of their distance?
Is such velocity only "apparent", Iow not real?

I already told you that the recession of the galaxies is due to
the space between them and us expanding.

If it is a mere
illusion, how do you explain the Doppler shift?

The red shift is not a Doppler shift - it occurs due to the expansion
pf space. I already told you that, too - didn't you listen, or have you
forgotten that already?

And if it is real (for those believing in expansion of course,
I have to dot the i's), and some galaxy at distance d from Earth
moves at v wrt the Earth, does not the Earth moves at the same
velocity wrt the galaxy?

Seen from that galaxy, the Earth seems to move at the
same speed (but obviously in the opposite direction).

For an Earth observer, is not the time
on the galaxy slowed down by some factor wrt the time on Earth?

The time *seems* to have moved slower when the light we observe now on
Earth left that galaxy.

And for the galactic observer, is not time on Earth slowed
down by the same factor wrt its own time?

The time *seems* to have moved slower when the light they observe now on
in that galaxy left the Earth.

Does this not logically
mean that the Earth clock and the galactic clock tick at the same
rate,

No, not at all. Why on earth do you think so?

as confirmed by Terence in the "Triplets thought experiment"?

That thought experiment confirms nothing like that.

As both clocks tick at the same rate,

Now they do. When the light left the source, the clocks seem
to have ticked at a different rate than they now do.

how can the contemporary
cosmologists claim that a time dilation factor of (1 + z) works
on supernovae to lessen the delay in the rest frame?

Drop the rhetoric and look at the actual calculations.

I am looking forward to reading your comments.

I am looking forward to you misunderstanding them yet again.

"Terence sits at home on Earth. Galaxy (yes, it's her name)
flies off in a space ship at a velocity v/2. Simultaneously,
Terra (also a name) flies off in the opposite direction at -v/2.
After a while, Terra, who considers that Galaxy flies away
from her at a velocity v,

Why should Terra consider that? Does she not know how to
add velocities in SR?

You don't seem to grasp the spirit of Terra's claim, which
is that Galaxy is flying away from her at some velocity.

We are talking about measurements here, not about "spirit".

claims that Galaxy is now younger
than her, exactly like GRists claim that time goes slower on
SN because of space expansion.

That is in no way "exactly like".

Don't GRists make such claim? Remove "exactly" if you prefer.

GR say that time seems to have gone slower on the SN when the
light was emitted. Not that *today*, time *still* goes slower on the SN.

According to Terence, both Terra and the GRists are wrong,

There *is* no "right" or "wrong" here. Who is younger depends
on the frame of reference. There is no "absolute time".

This is trivial.

Then why do you say something nonsensical like "both Terra and
the GRists are wrong"?

because Terra's clock and Galaxy's clock tick at the same
rate."

Right. And still irrelevant for cosmology.

Right, what a nice and honest concession!

But *not* irrelevant for cosmology: both clocks tick at the same
rate, not only according to Terence,

Wrong. *Only* according to Terence.

but also, logically, to Terra and Galaxy,

Why is that logical?

who both should apply the Cosmological Principle.

What on earth has this to do with the Cosmological Principle?

Iow, they should know that the time slowing effect due to expansion
is symmetrical,

I am still not sure what you mean by "symmetrical" here.

and therefore conclude, contrary to the claims by
illogical relativistic cosmologists, to the absence of any observable
time dilation effect on remote objects like supernovae.

Absolute total utter non sequitur.

Till now, none of them dared to comment.
They should at least try to demonstrate that Terence is wrong.

No. In his frame of reference, he is perfectly right.

Fine.

Note the words "in his frame of reference". They are crucial here.

In their frames of references, both Galaxy and Terra are also
perfectly right to claim that the other one is younger.

And this is still irrelevant for cosmology.

Could you elaborate,

About what, specifically?

not forgetting elementary logic?

You seem to have a quite different idea of "logic" than I.

This also would be fine.

[Ad hominem comments snipped]

Says the one who continues to libel cosmologists.

Bye,
Bjoern

Old July 7th 04, 04:54 PM
Bjoern Feuerbacher

Marcel Luttgens wrote:

SR time dilation on remote objects ?

Question:

Can time be "SR dilated" on remote galaxies or supernovae, because
of space expansion?

No. Apparent time dilation due to space expansion has nothing to
do with the time dilation of SR.

What do you mean by "apparent"? Is it such time expansion or not?

I don't know what you mean by "time expansion".

From the context, I clearly meant "time dilation". Now you could perhaps
explain what you mean by "apparent".

According to the Robertson-Walker metric, the "rate" of time was
always the same. But the expansion of the universe "stretches" the light
we receive from objects which are far away (and therefore light which
left these objects long ago), and this makes it look like as if time
went slower back then.

Anyhow, explaining the assumed time dilation by SR or by GR doesn't
change the fact the space expansion acts symmetrically,

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

Did you sleep enough last night? Bist du nicht ein bischen müde?

Evasion noted. Why don't you simply answer the question?

And why did you feel the need to try to write German here?

meaning that somebody on Earth *cannot* observe such dilation.

Why on earth do you think so?

Because A claims that the time on B moving away from him is dilated,
and B symmetrically claims that time on A is dilated wrt its own time.

Right for SR time dilation, wrong for the apparent time dilation
due to space expansion.

As both are simultaneously right, the only logical conclusion is that
the two time dilations cancel each other.

Absolute total utter non sequitur. Why is this "logical"??? How could
such a cancellation happen?????

But as a SR/GRist, you prefer to believe (yes, "believe") that both
are right.

Err, you said two, above, that both are right.

What a disastrous conclusion!

Why?

You seem to have a big problem with the concept that time is relative...

Claiming
that space expansion gives a time dilation redshift is simply wrong.

Only a Doppler shift can be observed.

You have never actually seen the calculations, right?

A hopeless argument. You are incorrigible.

That was a question, not an argument.

Evasion noted.

Did you ever see the calculations or not?

Details are given hereafter, as well as the refusal by the
moderator to post my question in sci.physics.research

Perhaps because you could read this up yourself if you would
bother to actually open a book on cosmology? I recommend
"The early universe" by Kolb&Turner.

This is a good example of crooked debating.

It is "crooked debating" to tell you that you miss the basic knowledge
about this topic, and provide a reference where you can read it up???

Again and again the same ad hominem ...

Pointing out that you lack the basic knowledge is not an ad hominem.

I am not "saying that contemporary cosmology and GR are fundamentally
wrong", I prove it.

You prove nothing like that. You even don't know what modern
cosmology says. E.g., you didn't know that the Hubble parameter
is time dependent even during quite ordinary expansion!

The Hubble constant is determined by the mean density of the
universe. Instead of just claiming that it is time dependent,

Err, didn't you notice that due to expansion, the mean density
of the universe is obviously time-dependent, and therefore according
to your own argument here, the Hubble parameter has to be
time-dependent, too?

For the expansion proponents, it is of course time dependent,

Nice that you admit that. In some earlier postings, you acted as
if you don't not that.

but even
for them, it is *to-day* determined by the mean density of the universe.

I said nothing against that.

you should better show the formula,

The formulas are there in any book on cosmology. Try looking into them.

I preferred your own formulae. With GR, according to the assumed
premises, one can say almost anything.

Nonsense.

Further, for a particular model, I once wrote down the calculations
myself. The text is in German, but the formulas should be clear enough.
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~bfeuerba/universum.pdf
The formulas there are for an accelerated universe (with cosmological
constant different from zero), but it's not hard to take the limit
of cosmological constant going to zero, and the result is that H then
still depends on t (hint: the result of taking the limit is H(t) =
2/(3t) - and that's a formula you can find in lots of books on cosmology).

Thank you. Of course, H depends historically on t, as the mean density
of the universe varies with t if the universe is expanding (with an
"apparent" ;-) velocity).

If this is so clear to you, then why did you act as if you don't know
that?

and simultaneously explain why the
assumed space expansion is not symmetrical for all observers.

I don't understand what you mean by "symmetrical" here, sorry.

Not yet?

No.

Next evasion noted.

Why don't you allow experts to disprove my
demonstration?

Because they have better things to do than to correct your
elementary misconceptions about the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bangers are those which are full of misconceptions.

Says the one who did not even know that H depends on t during
ordinary expansion...

What a bad faith!

Huh? You acted several times as if you don't know that H is time-dependent.

The BB theory is riddled with ad hoc patches.

For example? (I expect now that you will mention inflation, dark
matter and dark energy - thus displaying that you have no clue of
the evidence for that stuff, and of the reasons why it was introduced)

Ad hoc inflation,

See my note in the parentheses...

large scale structures,

What is ad hoce about them???

accelerated expansion,

See my note in the parentheses...

usw... Please remind me why dark energy has been introduced.

Because of a variety of reasons. You seem to think that there
was only one...

Bye,
Bjoern

Old July 7th 04, 04:59 PM
Bjoern Feuerbacher

Marcel Luttgens wrote:
Bjoern Feuerbacher wrote in message ...

[snip]

The only evidence of the Big Bang is written at the observational the
limits of the Universe, namely the CMBR.

Even this is no evidence.

Why not?

It is a mere interpretation.

The Big Bang theory predicted the existence of the CMBR (let's
not quibble about the fact that it didn't predict its temperature right
at first). The CMBR does indeed exist. So, why is this not evidence
for the BBT?

For me, if a theory predicts X, and then X is indeed found, then the
existence of X is evidence for the theory. Do you think otherwise?

Bye,
Bjoern

Old July 7th 04, 05:07 PM
Bjoern Feuerbacher

Dirk Van de moortel wrote:
"Marcel Luttgens" wrote in message om...

SR time dilation on remote objects ?

Question:

Can time be "SR dilated" on remote galaxies or supernovae, because
of space expansion?

Details are given hereafter, as well as the refusal by the
moderator to post my question in sci.physics.research

Marcel Luttgens

Troll/Crackpot warning:

http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/di...RLuttgens.html
http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/di...es/Forget.html
http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/di...Relations.html
http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/di...SRSymbols.html
http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/di.../IfOnlyIf.html
http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/di.../ArmsGrow.html
http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/di...ArmsGrow2.html
http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/di...yGalilean.html
http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/di...es/SpeedV.html

Oh my goodness. I see that he is totally beyond the border, and unable
to understand anything. I already suspected this, after he kept
repeating this silly statement that "the two time dilations cancel
each other", and this confirms it now.

Thanks for providing the links! I will try to ignore him in the future.

Bye,
Bjoern

Old July 8th 04, 01:20 AM
vonroach

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:32:57 +0200, Bjoern Feuerbacher
wrote:

Sorry, but "a galaxy moving through the cosmos at 1/2 the speed of
another galaxy relative to the other galaxy" makes no sense.

Then it agrees with much of cosmology. I agree with the Czech
scientist philosopher Mach, if it is not pragmatically experienced by
some human sensation in the stream of sensations, then it is abstract
hypothesis. I can experience mass, energy, inertia, momentum, force,
acceleration, and yes gravity, electromagnetism, photons, atomic and
sub atomic phenomenon in the chemical and physics laboratory and with
the help of technical apparatus.. The Astronomy and space science that
NASA has let us see is believable. I look at the cosmos and I just
see what is there, all the rest is abstract hypothesis and an
abundance of fanciful theories (all making `good sense' to somebody).
Mathematics when it goes beyond counting and simple operations is just
scratches on a piece of paper that mean nothing until it can be
measured and the results seen. Call it skepticism or pragmatism or
what ever you like. I've yet to see any `aging' or lack of it in space
travel.