Daily Report #4566

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 13th 08, 03:53 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4566

DAILY REPORT****** # 4566

PERIOD COVERED: UT March 12, 2008 (DOY 072)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8795

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 6

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

NIC2 11142

Revealing the Physical Nature of Infrared Luminous Galaxies at 0.3

We aim to determine physical properties of IR luminous galaxies at
0.3z2.7 by requesting coordinated HST/NIC2 and MIPS 70um observations
of a unique, 24um flux-limited sample with complete Spitzer mid-IR
spectroscopy. The 150 sources investigated in this program have S{24um}
0.8mJy and their mid-IR spectra have already provided the majority

targets with spectroscopic redshifts {0.3z2.7}. The proposed
150~orbits of NIC2 and 66~hours of MIPS 70um will provide the physical
measurements of the light distribution at the rest-frame ~8000A and
better estimates of the bolometric luminosity. Combining these
parameters together with the rich suite of spectral diagnostics from
the mid-IR spectra, we will {1} measure how common mergers are among
LIRGs and ULIRGs at 0.3z2.7, and establish if major mergers are the
drivers of z1 ULIRGs, as in the local Universe. {2} study the
co-evolution of star formation and blackhole accretion by
investigating the relations between the fraction of starburst/AGN
measured from mid-IR spectra vs. HST morphologies, L{bol} and z. {3}
obtain the current best estimates of the far-IR emission, thus L{bol}
for this sample, and establish if the relative contribution of
mid-to-far IR dust emission is correlated with morphology {resolved
vs. unresolved}.

NIC3 11149

Characterizing the Stellar Populations in Lyman-Alpha Emitters and
Lyman Break Galaxies at 5.7z7 in the Subaru Deep Field

The epoch of reionization marks a major phase transition of the
Universe, during which the intergalactic space became transparent to
UV photons. Determining when this occurred and the physical processes
involved represents the latest frontier in observational cosmology.
Over the last few years, searches have intensified to identify the
population of high-redshift (z6) galaxies that might be responsible
for this process, but the progress is hampered partly by the
difficulty of obtaining physical information (stellar mass, age, star
formation rate/history) for individual sources. This is because the
number of z6 galaxies that have both secure spectroscopic redshifts
and high-quality infrared photometry (especially with Spitzer/IRAC) is
still fairly small. Considering that only several photometric points
are available per source, and that many model SEDs are highly
degenerate, it is crucial to obtain as many observational constraints
as possible for each source to ensure the validity of SED modeling. To
better understand the physical properties of high-redshift galaxies,
we propose here to conduct HST/NICMOS (72 orbits) and Spitzer/IRAC
(102 hours) imaging of spectroscopically confirmed, bright (z26 mag
(AB)) Ly-alpha emitters (LAEs) and Lyman-break galaxies (LBGs) at
5.7z7 selected from the Subaru Deep Field. Spectroscopic redshifts
remove one critical free parameter from SED modeling while bright
source magnitudes ensure high-quality photometric data. By making
accurate determinations of stellar masses, ages, and star-formation
histories, we will specifically address the following major questions:
(1) Do LAEs and LBGs represent physically different galaxy populations
at z6 as suggested recently? (2) Is Ly-alpha emission systematically
suppressed at z6 with respect to continuum emission? (i.e., are we
reaching the epoch of incomplete reionization?), and (3) Do we see any
sign of abnormally young stellar population in any of the z6
galaxies?

WFPC2 11113

Binaries in the Kuiper Belt: Probes of Solar System Formation and
Evolution

The discovery of binaries in the Kuiper Belt and related small body
populations is powering a revolutionary step forward in the study of
this remote region. Three quarters of the known binaries in the Kuiper
Belt have been discovered with HST, most by our snapshot surveys. The
statistics derived from this work are beginning to yield surprising
and unexpected results. We have found a strong concentration of
binaries among low-inclination Classicals, a possible size cutoff to
binaries among the Centaurs, an apparent preference for nearly equal
mass binaries, and a strong increase in the number of binaries at
small separations. We propose to continue this successful program in
Cycle 16; we expect to discover at least 13 new binary systems,
targeted to subgroups where these discoveries can have the greatest
impact.

WFPC2 11178

Probing Solar System History with Orbits, Masses, and Colors of
Transneptunian Binaries

The recent discovery of numerous transneptunian binaries {TNBs} opens
a window into dynamical conditions in the protoplanetary disk where
they formed as well as the history of subsequent events which sculpted
the outer Solar System and emplaced them onto their present day
heliocentric orbits. To date, at least 47 TNBs have been discovered,
but only about a dozen have had their mutual orbits and separate
colors determined, frustrating their use to investigate numerous
important scientific questions. The current shortage of data
especially cripples scientific investigations requiring statistical
comparisons among the ensemble characteristics. We propose to obtain
sufficient astrometry and photometry of 23 TNBs to compute their
mutual orbits and system masses and to determine separate primary and
secondary colors, roughly tripling the sample for which this
information is known, as well as extending it to include systems of
two near-equal size bodies. To make the most efficient possible use of
HST, we will use a Monte Carlo technique to optimally schedule our
observations.

WFPC2/NIC3 11144

Building on the Significant NICMOS Investment in GOODS: A Bright,
Wide-Area Search for z=7 Galaxies

One of the most exciting frontiers in observational cosmology has been
to trace the buildup and evolution of galaxies from very early times.
While hierarchical theory teaches us that the star formation rate in
galaxies likely starts out small and builds up gradually, only
recently has it been possible to see evidence for this observationally
through the evolution of the LF from z~6 to z~3. Establishing that
this build up occurs from even earlier times {z~7-8} has been
difficult, however, due to the small size of current high-redshift
z~7-8 samples -- now numbering in the range of ~4-10 sources.
Expanding the size of these samples is absolutely essential, if we are
to push current studies of galaxy buildup back to even earlier times.
Fortunately, we should soon be able to do so, thanks to ~50 arcmin**2
of deep {26.9 AB mag at 5 sigma} NICMOS 1.6 micron data that will be
available over the two ACS GOODS fields as a result of one recent 180-
orbit ACS backup program and a smaller program. These data will nearly
triple the deep near-IR imaging currently available and represent a
significant resource for finding and characterizing the brightest
high-redshift sources -- since high-redshift candidates can be easily
identified in these data from their red z-H colours. Unfortunately,
the red z-H colours of these candidates are not sufficient to
determine that these sources are at z=7, and it is important also to
have deep photometry at 1.1 microns. To obtain this crucial
information, we propose to follow up each of these z-H dropouts with
NICMOS at 1.1 microns to determine which are at high redshift and thus
significantly expand our sample of luminous, z=7 galaxies. Since
preliminary studies indicate that these candidates occur in only 30%
of the NIC3 fields, our follow-up strategy is ~3 times as efficient as
without this preselection and 9 times as efficient as a search in a
field with no pre-existing data. In total, we expect to identify ~8
luminous z-dropouts and possibly ~2 z~10 J-dropouts as a result of
this program, more than tripling the number currently known. The
increased sample sizes are important if we are to solidify current
conclusions about galaxy buildup and the evolution of the LF from z~8.
In addition to the high redshift science, these deep 1.1 micron data
would have significant value for many diverse endeavors, including {1}
improving our constraints on the stellar mass density at z~7-10 and
{2} doubling the number of galaxies at z~6 for which we can estimate
dust obscuration.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

********************** SCHEDULED***** SUCCESSFUL

OBAD with Maneuver **** 30**************** 30

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report  #4431 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 August 22nd 07 02:04 PM
Daily Report #4330 Bassford, Lynn Hubble 0 March 30th 07 04:36 PM
Daily Report #4237 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 November 9th 06 07:31 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM