Specific heats at high pressure

Old July 11th 03, 12:48 AM
Iain McClatchie

Default Specific heats at high pressure

I just got the book "Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Propulsion",
mostly on the recommendations found in the sci.space.tech archives. I
turned to Appendix 2 to find tables with specific heat vs temp for the
various gases that you find in a rocket engine (O2, CO2, CH4, H2, H2O,
that sort of thing). Hooray!

Imagine my disappointment when I noticed that the tables were
specifically for gases at low pressure -- 1 atm. That pressure
doesn't come up very often in simulations of rocket engines and
hypervelocity guns.

I've looked on the web, but have not found a reference for specific
heats of these gases at high pressures. I'm mostly interested in the
100 - 1000 atm range.

Am I just being stupid or unread? Is there some bog-standard
adjustment that I'm supposed to make to these specific heats to
account for pressure? Or did some guy in 1886 prove that specific
heats are completely independent of pressure?
Old July 11th 03, 03:14 PM
Ed Ruf

On 10 Jul 2003 16:48:01 -0700, in sci.space.tech
(Iain McClatchie) wrote:

[...]

How accurate are you trying to be? In my copy of NASA SP-3045,
Compressed Gas Handbook, the variation of the Cp of air as a function
of pressure is small at higher temps. Data eyeballed off graph:

T (F) Cp @ 0psia (Btu/Lbm) Cp @ 15,000psia (Btu/Lbm)
500 0.248 0.289
1000 0.265 0.288
2000 0.283 0.2835
3000 0.295 0.301
4000 0.3045 0.3065

FWIW, this data is courtesy of the Cornell University, Engineering
Experiment Bulletin No.30. Where the data included for other gases
also came from.

Old July 12th 03, 01:28 AM
Iain McClatchie

Ed How accurate are you trying to be?

Probably more accurate than neccessary. I'm writing a simulator for
a travelling charge gun burning high-pressure CH4-O2. This first
simulator is terribly crude -- I've cut the gas slug behind the projectile
into a stack of disk-shaped homogenous gas masses, I'm assuming completely
uniform axial gas motion, and the burn rate model is a a*(1-f)*e^(b*f)
limited exponential. So all this is highly inaccurate. On the other hand,
I've read papers from the 1950s that suggest that guns less than 100
caliber lengths lose just a few percent to drag losses, and I'm just trying
to get some rough estimates of muzzle velocity versus barrel size and
pressure (i.e. cost). Since I don't have any idea how much Cp changes over
pressure, I don't know if it's an ignorable effect or if it dominates lots
of other effects. And if I can just write a Cp(pressure, temp, species)
function from a bunch of accurate tables and never have to worry about that
again, that'd be great.

Actually, I'm so thermodynamically retarded that I'm going to have to
prove to myself that the second law of thermodynamics still holds with
these varying specific heats. Even just that isn't clear to me yet.

Eventually I may try a Navier-Stokes integration. My current ignition
scheme is to use electronically triggered gunpowder charges funnelled
through little nozzles to inject hot gas into the cold CH4-O2 mix. I
expect there are probably some very serious problems with this idea
near the end of the launch, where the gunpowder product jet is moving
slower than the CH4-O2 behind the projectile. Maybe that next
simulation will show some of these problems, maybe not.

Ed In my copy of NASA SP-3045, Compressed Gas Handbook,

Compressed Air and Gas Handbook, John P. Rollins Ed.?

Ed the variation of the Cp of air as a function of pressure is small
Ed at higher temps. Data eyeballed off graph:

T (F) Cp @ 0psia (Btu/Lbm) Cp @ 15,000psia (Btu/Lbm)
500 0.248 0.289
1000 0.265 0.288
2000 0.283 0.2835
3000 0.295 0.301
4000 0.3045 0.3065

Hmmm. at 1000F there's a 10% diff. That'll show up.

FWIW, this data is courtesy of the Cornell University, Engineering
Experiment Bulletin No.30. Where the data included for other gases
also came from.

Couldn't find that one the web. I don't suppose there is a web
reference for all this data?

André Kuipers' diary - Part 12: Winter survival training and measuring blood pressure Jacques van Oene Space Station 0 March 12th 04 09:38 AM
response to Under Pressure VTrade Space Station 2 January 17th 04 11:48 PM
Under Pressure VTrade Space Station 3 January 17th 04 07:21 PM
ISS On-Orbit Status, 22-10-2003 Jacques van Oene Space Station 0 October 23rd 03 09:56 AM
Challenger/Columbia, here is your chance to gain a new convert! John Maxson Space Shuttle 38 September 5th 03 07:48 PM