Help with satellite identification (w/video)

Old October 10th 05, 07:07 PM
R J Cobain

Default Help with satellite identification (w/video)

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help identify this pair of satellites
captured in my meteor cam. I have included a link to the relevant
heavens-above page and a link to a video. The time is stamped on the video
and is accurate. The latitude and longtitude are as found in the link to
heavens above.

http://www.meteorlogni.com/Meteors/2...vyhill_WSW.avi

http://www.heavens-above.com/allsats...Mag=4.5 &AM=T

Many thanks, Robert

Old October 10th 05, 08:40 PM
Mike McCants

My best guess is the NOSS 3-3 A and C objects (NCat 28537 and 28541).
These were altitude 60 and azimuth 315 at the time of your observation.
My predicted magnitude is 4.5, but these objects often flare much
brighter than that.
Mike McCants

Old October 10th 05, 09:25 PM
R J Cobain

Hi Mike, Thanks for the quick reply. I think NOSS 3-3 A and C must be
right, the observation matches the prediction apart from the magnitude. I
have seen the famed NOSS triplet once before, an amazing sight, but I didn't
realise that there is now a doublet! What software did you use? Robert.

oups.com...

Old October 12th 05, 09:42 PM
R J Cobain

Thanks for the link Ed, very informative. I read that you are one of the
observers who has seen NOSS 3 flares, I guess the video proves that you
weren't seeing things! Anyway, I wonder if anyone (Mike perhaps) can
identify one more unidentified satellite I have in my archives,

http://www.meteorlogni.com/Meteors/2...vyhill_WSW.avi

http://www.heavens-above.com/allsats...te=38493&Mag=7

It appears around the same time as the Meteor 1-26 Rocket according to H-A
but in the wrong direction. Any ideas? In the video you can see the 'feet'
of the great bear, and the satellite passed under them Thanks, Robert.

"Ed Cannon" wrote in message
wrote...

I have seen the famed NOSS triplet once before, an amazing
sight, but I didn't realise that there is now a doublet!

There are actually three of the bright trios, and now there
are three of the newer pairs:

http://www.satobs.org/noss.html

Ed Cannon - - Austin, Texas, USA
(Remove "donotspam".)

NOT your Father's Satellite -- Reasons [6] Painius Misc 0 June 8th 05 10:54 AM
Russian 'Kobalt' Spy Satellite Disappears Jim Oberg History 2 January 22nd 05 09:52 AM
Satellite identification Richard UK Astronomy 8 June 26th 04 01:21 AM
Satellite Tracking Pete UK Astronomy 0 June 21st 04 09:11 PM
Satellite Identification Needed DaveOesper Satellites 16 November 21st 03 08:56 PM