Daily Report #5082

Old April 26th 10, 05:56 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #5082

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #5082

PERIOD COVERED: 5am April 23 - 5am April 26, 2010 (DOY 113/09:00z-116/09:00z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

WFC3/UV 12094

WFC3/UVIS Image Skew

This proposal will provide an independent check of the skew in the ACS
astrometric catalog of Omega Cen stars, using exposures taken in a
45-deg range of telescope roll. The roll sequence will also provide a
test for orbital variation of skew and field angle dependent PSF
variations. The astrometric catalog of Omega Cen, improved for a skew,
will be used to derive the geometric distorion to all UVIS filters,
which has preliminarily been determined from F606W images and an
astrometric catalog of 47 Tuc.

WFC3/IR 12051

Cross Calibration of NICMOS and WFC3 in the Low-Count-Rate Regime

NICMOS has played a key role in probing the deep near infrared regime
for a decade. It has been the only instrument available to observe
faint objects in the near infrared that are not observable from the
ground. However, the calibration of NICMOS has turned out to be
difficult in the low-count-rate regime. The NICMOS calibration team
has extrapolated a power-law to describe the apparent non-linearity in
the NICMOS detectors from measurements at ~50-5000 ADU/s to flux
counts around 0.1-1 ADU/s. Precise measurements of faint objects (such
as SNe Ia at high redshift) require us to reduce the uncertainties
from this extrapolation. Here we propose to determine the absolute
zeropoint for faint objects by cross-calibrating the WFC3 and NICMOS
detectors in observations of early type galaxies at redshifts z1.

ACS/WFC 11995

CCD Daily Monitor (Part 2)

This program comprises basic tests for measuring the read noise and
dark current of the ACS WFC and for tracking the growth of hot pixels.
The recorded frames are used to create bias and dark reference images
for science data reduction and calibration. This program will be
executed four days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun) for the duration of
Cycle 17. To facilitate scheduling, this program is split into three
proposals. This proposal covers 320 orbits (20 weeks) from 1 February
2010 to 20 June 2010.

WFC3/IR 11936

IR Grism Flux Calibration

This program will determine image displacement, spectral trace and
flux calibration for the IR G102 and G141 grisms as a function of
spatial position within the field of view. The HST flux standard GD71
will be observed in a 9-point pattern in the IR field of view, which
will provide the necessary image displacement, spectral trace, and
throughput measurements.

WFC3/IR/S/C 11929

IR Dark Current Monitor

Analyses of ground test data showed that dark current signals are more
reliably removed from science data using darks taken with the same
exposure sequences as the science data, than with a single dark
current image scaled by desired exposure time. Therefore, dark current
images must be collected using all sample sequences that will be used
in science observations. These observations will be used to monitor
changes in the dark current of the WFC3-IR channel on a day-to-day
basis, and to build calibration dark current ramps for each of the
sample sequences to be used by Gos in Cycle 17. For each sample
sequence/array size combination, a median ramp will be created and
delivered to the calibration database system (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS 11908

Cycle 17: UVIS Bowtie Monitor

Ground testing revealed an intermittent hysteresis type effect in the
UVIS detector (both CCDs) at the level of ~1%, lasting hours to days.
Initially found via an unexpected bowtie-shaped feature in flatfield
ratios, subsequent lab tests on similar e2v devices have since shown
that it is also present as simply an overall offset across the entire
CCD, i.e., a QE offset without any discernable pattern. These lab
tests have further revealed that overexposing the detector to count
levels several times full well fills the traps and effectively
neutralizes the bowtie. Each visit in this proposal acquires a set of
three 3x3 binned internal flatfields: the first unsaturated image will
be used to detect any bowtie, the second, highly exposed image will
neutralize the bowtie if it is present, and the final image will allow
for verification that the bowtie is gone.

WFC3/UVIS 11907

UVIS Cycle 17 Contamination Monitor

The UV throughput of WFC3 during Cycle 17 is monitored via weekly
standard star observations in a subset of key filters covering
200-600nm and F606W, F814W as controls on the red end. The data will
provide a measure of throughput levels as a function of time and
wavelength, allowing for detection of the presence of possible
contaminants.

WFC3/UVIS 11905

WFC3 UVIS CCD Daily Monitor

The behavior of the WFC3 UVIS CCD will be monitored daily with a set
of full-frame, four-amp bias and dark frames. A smaller set of 2Kx4K
subarray biases are acquired at less frequent intervals throughout the
cycle to support subarray science observations. The internals from
this proposal, along with those from the anneal procedure (Proposal
11909), will be used to generate the necessary superbias and superdark
reference files for the calibration pipeline (CDBS).

STIS/CC 11847

CCD Bias Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CC 11845

CCD Dark Monitor Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

WFC3/UVIS 11732

The Temperature Profiles of Quasar Accretion Disks

We can now routinely measure the size of quasar accretion disks using
gravitational microlensing of lensed quasars. At optical wavelengths
we observe a size and scaling with black hole mass roughly consistent
with thin disk theory but the sizes are larger than expected from the
observed optical fluxes. One solution would be to use a flatter
temperature profile, which we can study by measuring the wavelength
dependence of the disk size over the largest possible wavelength
baseline. Thus, to understand the size discrepancy and to probe closer
to the inner edge of the disk we need to extend our measurements to UV
wavelengths, and this can only be done with HST. For example, in the
UV we should see significant changes in the optical/UV size ratio with
black hole mass. We propose monitoring 5 lenses spanning a broad range
of black hole masses with well-sampled ground based light curves,
optical disk size measurements and known GALEX UV fluxes during Cycles
17 and 18 to expand from our current sample of two lenses. We would
obtain 5 observations of each target in each Cycle, similar to our
successful strategy for the first two targets.

WFC3/ACS/IR 11731

Studying Cepheid Systematics in M81: H-Band Observations

The local value of the Hubble Constant remains one of the most
important constraints in cosmology, but improving on the 10% accuracy
of the HST Key Project is challenging. No improvements will be
convincing until the metallicity dependence is well constrained and
blending effects are fully understood. M81 and its dwarf companion
Holmberg IX are superb laboratories for studying Cepheid systematics
because they contain large numbers of bright Cepheids with a good
spread in metallicity lying at a common, relatively close distance. We
have identified 180 12P 70 day Cepheids in these two galaxies using
the Large Binocular Telescope (compared to 30 in total by the KP), and
will expand the sample further in 2008-2009. We will use 10 orbits
with WFC3/IR to obtain H-band images of 100 Cepheids in M81 to add to
the ACS/BVI calibrations we will obtain from archival data and 1 orbit
with WFC3/UVIS to add B-band data for Holmberg IX. Four band BVIH
photometry will allow us to flux calibrate, estimate extinction,
measure metallicity effects and then check the results in detail. We
can also examine blending effects on WFC3/IR data in a relatively
nearby galaxy before it is applied to more distant galaxies. Our M81
sample is three times larger than the next best sample, that of
NGC4258, and suffers less from blending because M81 is at half the
distance, so it is an excellent laboratory for studying Cepheid
systematics even if it lacks as precise a geometric distance as
NGC4258.

COS/NUV/FUV 11727

UV Spectroscopy of Local Lyman Break Galaxy Analogs: New Clues to
Galaxy Formation in the Early Universe

Much of our information about galaxy evolution and the interaction
between galaxies and the IGM at high-z has been provided by the Lyman
Break Galaxies (LBGs). However, it is difficult to investigate these
faint and distant objects in detail. To address this, we have used the
GALEX All-Sky Imaging Survey and the SDSS to identify for the first
time a rare population of low- redshift galaxies with properties
remarkably similar to the high-redshift LBGs. These local "Lyman Break
Analogs" (LBAs) resemble LBGs in terms of morphology, size, UV
luminosity, star formation rate, UV surface brightness, stellar mass,
velocity dispersion, metallicity, and dust content. We are assembling
a wide range of data on these objects with the goal of using them as
local laboratories for better understanding the relevant astrophysical
processes in LBGs. These data include HST imaging (95 orbits in Cy15
and 16), Spitzer photometry and spectroscopy, Chandra and XMM X-ray
imaging and spectroscopy, and near-IR integral field spectroscopy
(VLT, Keck, and Gemini). In this proposal we are requesting the most
important missing puzzle piece: far-UV spectra with a signal-to-noise
and spectral resolution significantly better than available for
typical LBGs. We will use these spectra to study the LBA's galactic
winds, probe the processes that regulate the escape of Ly-a and Lyman
continuum radiation, determine chemical abundances for the stars and
gas, and constrain the form of the high-end of the Initial Mass
Function. Adding these new COS data will give us vital information
about these extraordinary sites of star formation in the local
universe. In so-doing it will also shed new light on the processes
that led to the formation of stars, the building of galaxies, and the
enrichment and heating of the IGM in the early universe.

WFC3/IR 11719

A Calibration Database for Stellar Models of Asymptotic Giant Branch
Stars

Studies of galaxy formation and evolution rely increasingly on the
interpretation and modeling of near-infrared observations. At these
wavelengths, the brightest stars are intermediate mass asymptotic
giant branch (AGB) stars. These stars can contribute nearly 50% of the
integrated luminosity at near infrared and even optical wavelengths,
particularly for the younger stellar populations characteristic of
high-redshift galaxies (z1). AGB stars are also significant sources
of dust and heavy elements. Accurate modeling of AGB stars is
therefore of the utmost importance.

The primary limitation facing current models is the lack of useful
calibration data. Current models are tuned to match the properties of
the AGB population in the Magellanic Clouds, and thus have only been
calibrated in a very narrow range of sub-solar metallicities.
Preliminary observations already suggest that the models are
overestimating AGB lifetimes by factors of 2-3 at lower metallicities.
At higher (solar) metallicities, there are no appropriate observations
for calibrating the models.

We propose a WFC3/IR SNAP survey of nearby galaxies to create a large
database of AGB populations spanning the full range of metallicities
and star formation histories. Because of their intrinsically red
colors and dusty circumstellar envelopes, tracking the numbers and
bolometric fluxes of AGB stars requires the NIR observations we
propose here. The resulting observations of nearby galaxies with deep
ACS imaging offer the opportunity to obtain large (100-1000's)
complete samples of AGB stars at a single distance, in systems with
well-constrained star formation histories and metallicities.

WFC3/UV/IR 11717

Unraveling the Mysterious Origin of GRB 070125

We propose a modest (2 WFC3 orbits) HST program to ascertain the
origin of the mysterious gamma-ray burst GRB 070125. With a duration
of 60 s and a high local (i.e. parsec scale) circum-burst density, GRB
070125 resembles a canonical (i.e. massive-star progenitor)
long-duration event. However, we have strong evidence that GRB 070125
exploded in the halo of its host galaxy, far away from the bulk of
massive star formation. The UV detection of a compact, star-forming
cluster would confirm our original hypothesis that GRB 070125 exploded
in a tidal tail formed by galaxy interactions (analogous to the
Tadpole and Antenna galaxies) at z = 1.54. Alternatively, the absence
of ongoing star formation and the presence of an old stellar
population would require a novel explosion process unassociated with
massive stars. While the former would open a new path to study star
formation and galaxy interactions at high redshift, the latter would
require a re-thinking of one of the fundamental tenets of GRB
astronomy: the 1:1 mapping between duration and progenitor system.

ACS/WFC 11715

The Luminous Galactic Cepheid RS Puppis: A Geometric Distance from its
Nested Light Echoes

RS Puppis is one of the most luminous Cepheids in the Milky Way (P =
41.4 days) and an analog of the bright Cepheids used to measure
extragalactic distances. An accurate distance would help anchor the
zero-point of the bright end of the period-luminosity relation, but at
a distance of about 2 kpc it is too far away for a trigonometric
parallax with existing instrumentation.

RS Pup is unique in being surrounded by a reflection nebula, whose
brightness varies as pulses of light from the Cepheid propagate
outwards. Members of our team have used ground-based imaging of the
nebula to derive phase lags in the light variations of individual
features in the nebula, and have inferred a seemingly very precise
geometric distance to the star. However, there is an unavoidable
ambiguity involving the cycle counts, which was resolved by assuming
that the features lie in the plane of the sky. If this assumption is
incorrect, a large systematic error would be introduced into the
distance measurement.

We show that polarimetric imaging using the high spatial resolution of
ACS/WFC and its ability to image close to the star can resolve this
ambiguity and yield a reliable geometric distance to RS Pup. We will
also obtain a wide-field multicolor image of the nebula, in order to
study its morphology and the mass-loss history of the Cepheid.

WFC3/UVIS 11714

Snapshot Survey for Planetary Nebulae in Local Group Globular Clusters

Planetary nebulae (PNe) in globular clusters (GCs) raise a number of
interesting issues related to stellar and galactic evolution. The
number of PNe known in Milky Way GCs, four, is surprisingly low if one
assumes that all stars pass through a PN stage. However, it is likely
that the remnants of stars now evolving in galactic GCs leave the AGB
so slowly that any ejected nebula dissipates long before the star
becomes hot enough to ionize it. Thus there should not be ANY PNe in
Milky Way GCs--but there are four! It has been suggested that these
Pne are the result of mergers of binary stars within GCs, i.e., that
they are descendants of blue stragglers. The frequency of occurrence
of PNe in external galaxies poses more questions, because it shows a
range of almost an order of magnitude.

I propose a SNAPshot survey aimed at discovering PNe in the GC systems
of Local Group galaxies outside the Milky Way. These clusters, some of
which may be much younger than their counterparts in our galaxy, might
contain many more PNe than those of our own galaxy. I will use the
standard technique of emission-line and continuum imaging, which
easily discloses PNe. This proposal continues a WFPC2 program started
in Cycle 16, but with the more powerful WFC3. As a by-product, the
survey will also produce color-magnitude diagrams for numerous
clusters for the first time, reaching down to the horizontal branch.

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11702

Search for Very High-z Galaxies with WFC3 Pure Parallel

WFC3 will provide an unprecedented probe to the early universe beyond
the current redshift frontier. Here we propose a pure parallel program
using this new instrument to search for Lyman-break galaxies at
6.5z8.8 and to probe the epoch of reionization, a hallmark event in
the history of the early universe. We request 200 orbits, spreading
over 30 ~ 50 high Galactic latitude visits (|b|20deg) that last for 4
orbits and longer, resulting a total survey area of about 140~230
square arcminute. Based on our understanding of the new HST parallel
observation scheduling process, we believe that the total number of
long-duration pure parallel visits in Cycle 17 should be sufficient to
accommodate our program. We waive all proprietary rights to our data,
and will also make the enhanced data products public in a timely
manner.

(1) We will use both the UVIS and the IR channels, and do not need to
seek optical data from elsewhere.

(2) Our program will likely triple the size of the probable candidate
samples at z~7 and z~8, and will complement other targeted programs
aiming at the similar redshift range.

(3) Being a pure parallel program, our survey will only make very
limited demand on the scarce HST resources. More importantly, as the
pure parallel pointings will be at random sight-lines, our program
will be least affected by the bias due to the large scale structure
("cosmic variance").

(4) We aim at the most luminous LBG population, and will address the
bright-end of the luminosity function at z~8 and z~7. We will
constrain the value of L* in particular, which is critical for
understanding the star formation process and the stellar mass assembly
history in the first few hundred million years of the universe.

(5) The candidates from our survey, most of which will be the
brightest ones that any surveys would be able to find, will have the
best chance to be spectroscopically confirmed at the current 8--10m
telescopes.

(6) We will also find a large number of extremely red, old galaxies at
intermediate redshifts, and the fine spatial resolution offered by the
WFC3 will enable us constrain their formation history based on the
study of their morphology, and hence shed light on their connection to
the very early galaxies in the universe.

WFC3/IR/ACS/WFC 11663

Formation and Evolution of Massive Galaxies in the Richest
Environments at 1.5 z 2.0

We propose to image seven 1.5z2 clusters and groups from the IRAC
Shallow Cluster Survey with WFC3 and ACS in order to study the
formation and evolution of massive galaxies in the richest
environments in the Universe in this important redshift range. We will
measure the evolution of the sizes and morphologies of massive cluster
galaxies, as a function of redshift, richness, radius and local
density. In combination with allocated Keck spectroscopy, we will
directly measure the dry merger fraction in these clusters, as well as
the evolution of Brightest Cluster Galaxies (BCGs) over this redshift
range where clear model predictions can be confronted. Finally we will
measure both the epoch of formation of the stellar populations and the
assembly history of that stellar mass, the two key parameters in the
modern galaxy formation paradigm.

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11644

A Dynamical-Compositional Survey of the Kuiper Belt: A New Window Into
the Formation of the Outer Solar System

The eight planets overwhelmingly dominate the solar system by mass,
but their small numbers, coupled with their stochastic pasts, make it
impossible to construct a unique formation history from the dynamical
or compositional characteristics of them alone. In contrast, the huge
numbers of small bodies scattered throughout and even beyond the
planets, while insignificant by mass, provide an almost unlimited
number of probes of the statistical conditions, history, and
interactions in the solar system. To date, attempts to understand the
formation and evolution of the Kuiper Belt have largely been dynamical
simulations where a hypothesized starting condition is evolved under
the gravitational influence of the early giant planets and an attempt
is made to reproduce the current observed populations. With little
compositional information known for the real Kuiper Belt, the test
particles in the simulation are free to have any formation location
and history as long as they end at the correct point. Allowing
compositional information to guide and constrain the formation,
thermal, and collisional histories of these objects would add an
entire new dimension to our understanding of the evolution of the
outer solar system. While ground based compositional studies have hit
their flux limits already with only a few objects sampled, we propose
to exploit the new capabilities of WFC3 to perform the first ever
large-scale dynamical-compositional study of Kuiper Belt Objects
(KBOs) and their progeny to study the chemical, dynamical, and
collisional history of the region of the giant planets. The
sensitivity of the WFC3 observations will allow us to go up to two
magnitudes deeper than our ground based studies, allowing us the
capability of optimally selecting a target list for a large survey
rather than simply taking the few objects that can be measured, as we
have had to do to date. We have carefully constructed a sample of 120
objects which provides both overall breadth, for a general
understanding of these objects, plus a large enough number of objects
in the individual dynamical subclass to allow detailed comparison
between and within these groups. These objects will likely define the
core Kuiper Belt compositional sample for years to come. While we have
many specific results anticipated to come from this survey, as with
any project where the field is rich, our current knowledge level is
low, and a new instrument suddenly appears which can exploit vastly
larger segments of the population, the potential for discovery -- both
anticipated and not -- is extraordinary.

STIS/CCD 11606

Dynamical Hypermassive Black Hole Masses

We will use STIS spectra to derive the masses of 5 hypermassive black
holes (HMBHs). From the observed scaling relations defined by less
massive spheroids, these objects are expected to reside at the nuclei
of host galaxies with stellar velocity dispersions greater than 320
km/s. These 5 targets have confirmed regular gas distributions on the
scales of the black hole sphere of influence. It is essential that the
sphere of influence is resolved for accurate determinations of black
hole mass (0.1"). These scales cannot be effectively observed from the
ground. Only two HMBHs have had their masses modeled so far; it is
impossible to draw any general conclusions about the connections
between HMBH mass and their massive host galaxies. With these 5
targets we will determine whether these HMBHs deviate from the scaling
relations defined by less massive spheroids. A larger sample will
allow us to firmly anchor the high mass end of the correlation between
black hole mass and stellar velocity dispersion, and other scaling
relations. Therefore we are also conducting a SNAPshot program with
which we expect to detect a further 24 HMBH candidates for STIS
observation in future cycles. At the completion of this project we
will have populated the high mass end of the scaling relations with
the sample sizes enjoyed by less massive spheroids.

WFC3/UV 11602

High-resolution imaging of three new UV-bright lensed arcs

We have identified and spectroscopically confirmed three new strongly
lensed, UV-bright star-forming galaxies at z ~ 2 that are similar to
the well-studied gravitationally lensed Lyman Break Galaxy (LBG)
MS1512-cB58, and are of comparable brightness to the ''8 O'Clock Arc''
(Allam et al. 2007) and ''Clone'' systems (Lin et al. 2008). The 8
O'Clock Arc and Clone have already been awarded 20 orbits for deep
WFPC2 and NICMOS imaging in five bands (HST cycle 16, Program 11167,
PI: Allam). Adding these three recently discovered objects thus
completes a unique set of the brightest known strongly lensed galaxies
at z ~ 2, with magnitudes of r~20-21, and they provide a new window
into the detailed study of the properties of high redshift galaxies.
We propose 21 orbits for deep WFC3 imaging in five bands (F475W,
F606W, F814W, F110W, and F160W) in order to construct detailed lensing
models, to probe the mass and light profiles of the lensing galaxies
and their environments, and to constrain the spectral energy
distributions, star formation histories, and morphologies of the
lensed galaxies.

WFC3/ACS/IR 11600

Star Formation, Extinction, and Metallicity at 0.7z1.5: H-Alpha
Fluxes and Sizes from a Grism Survey of GOODS-N

The global star formation rate (SFR) is ~10x higher at z=1 than today.
This could be due to drastically elevated SFR in some fraction of
galaxies, such as mergers with central bursts, or a higher SFR across
the board. Either means that the conditions in z=1 star forming
galaxies could be quite different from local objects. The next step
beyond measuring the global SFR is to determine the dependence of SFR,
obscuration, metallicity, and size of the star-forming region on
galaxy mass and redshift. However, SFR indicators at z=1 typically
apply local calibrations for UV, [O II] and far-IR, and do not agree
with each other on a galaxy-by-galaxy basis. Extinction, metallicity,
and dust properties cause uncontrolled offsets in SFR calibrations.
The great missing link is Balmer H-alpha, the most sensitive probe of
SFR. We propose a slitless WFC3/G141 IR grism survey of GOODS-N, at 2
orbits/pointing. It will detect Ha+[N II] emission from 0.7z1.5, to
L(Ha) = 1.7 x 10^41 erg/sec at z=1, measuring H-alpha fluxes and sizes
for 600 galaxies, and a small number of higher-redshift emitters.
This will produce: an emission-line redshift survey unbiased by
magnitude and color selection; star formation rates as a function of
galaxy properties, e.g. stellar mass and morphology/mergers measured
by ACS; comparisons of SFRs from H-alpha to UV and far-IR indicators;
calibrations of line ratios of H-alpha to important nebular lines such
as [O II] and H-beta, measuring variations in metallicity and
extinction and their effect on SFR estimates; and the first
measurement of scale lengths of the H-alpha emitting, star- forming
region in a large sample of z~1 sources.

WFC3/UVIS 11595

Turning Out the Light: A WFC3 Program to Image z2 Damped Lyman Alpha
Systems

We propose to directly image the star-forming regions of z2 damped
Lya systems (DLAs) using the WFC3/UVIS camera on the Hubble Space
Telescope. In contrast to all previous attempts to detect the galaxies
giving rise to high redshift DLAs, we will use a novel technique that
completely removes the glare of the background quasar. Specifically,
we will target quasar sightlines with multiple DLAs and use the higher
redshift DLA as a ``blocking filter'' (via Lyman limit absorption) to
eliminate all FUV emission from the quasar. This will allow us to
carry out a deep search for FUV emission from the lower redshift DLA,
shortward of the Lyman limit of the higher redshift absorber. The
unique filter set and high spatial resolution afforded by WFC3/UVIS
will then enable us to directly image the lower redshift DLA and thus
estimate its size, star- formation rate and impact parameter from the
QSO sightline. We propose to observe a sample of 20 sightlines,
selected primarily from the SDSS database, requiring a total of 40 HST
orbits. The observations will allow us to determine the first FUV
luminosity function of high redshift DLA galaxies and to correlate the
DLA galaxy properties with the ISM characteristics inferred from
standard absorption-line analysis to significantly improve our
understanding of the general DLA population.

STIS/CCD/MA2 11568

A SNAPSHOT Survey of the Local Interstellar Medium: New NUV
Observations of Stars with Archived FUV Observations

We propose to obtain high-resolution STIS E230H SNAP observations of
MgII and FeII interstellar absorption lines toward stars within 100
parsecs that already have moderate or high-resolution far-UV (FUV),
900-1700 A, observations available in the MAST Archive. Fundamental
properties, such as temperature, turbulence, ionization, abundances,
and depletions of gas in the local interstellar medium (LISM) can be
measured by coupling such observations. Due to the wide spectral range
of STIS, observations to study nearby stars also contain important
data about the LISM embedded within their spectra. However, unlocking
this information from the intrinsically broad and often saturated FUV
absorption lines of low-mass ions, (DI, CII, NI, OI), requires first
understanding the kinematic structure of the gas along the line of
sight. This can be achieved with high resolution spectra of high-mass
ions, (FeII, MgII), which have narrow absorption lines, and can
resolve each individual velocity component (interstellar cloud). By
obtaining short (~10 minute) E230H observations of FeII and MgII, for
stars that already have moderate or high- resolution FUV spectra, we
can increase the sample of LISM measurements, and thereby expand our
knowledge of the physical properties of the gas in our galactic
neighborhood. STIS is the only instrument capable of obtaining the
required high resolution data now or in the foreseeable future.

WFC3/UV 11556

Investigations of the Pluto System

We propose a set of high SNR observations of the Pluto system that
will provide improved lightcurves, orbits, and photometric properties
of Nix and Hydra. The key photometric result for Nix and Hydra will be
a vastly improved lightcurve shape and rotation period to test if the
objects are in synchronous rotation or not. A second goal of this
program will be to retrieve a new epoch of albedo map for the surface
of Pluto. These observations will also improve masses and in some case
densities for the bodies in the Pluto system.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 33 33
FGS REAcq 27 27
OBAD with Maneuver 20 20

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 05:17 PM
Daily Report # 4449 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 September 18th 07 05:06 PM
Daily Report #4436 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 August 29th 07 02:29 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM