NASA plans return to Moon by 2020?

Old September 19th 05, 05:07 PM
Gareth Slee

Default NASA plans return to Moon by 2020?

Gareth
--
"Stupid Gravity!"
Homer Simpson falling from a treehouse
Old September 20th 05, 01:07 AM
Braxus

Thats a lot of vehicles to get back to the moon. I guess using a updated
Saturn V type of rocket wouldn't be considered.The solid rocket boosters
could still be used for new vehicles, but wouldn't it be a rough ride? They
mentioned two vehicles to get more tonnage up there, but I'm sure a Saturn V
with some booster rockets could also get it up there. I wonder if they'll
turn Pad A into the CEV launcher and Pad B into the heavy lifter launcher. I
wonder if using a Delta type rocket would also work to get the CEV into
orbit.

Old September 20th 05, 01:29 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"Braxus" wrote in
:

Thats a lot of vehicles to get back to the moon. I guess using a
updated Saturn V type of rocket wouldn't be considered.

You guess correctly. The Saturn V no longer exists.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old September 20th 05, 03:34 AM
Brian Thorn

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:07:34 +0100, "Gareth Slee"

Yikes! That "How Humans Will Go Back To The Moon" graphic really
botched the Crew Launch Vehicle...

Brian
Old September 20th 05, 03:58 PM
Jeff Findley

"Brian Thorn" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:07:34 +0100, "Gareth Slee"

Yikes! That "How Humans Will Go Back To The Moon" graphic really
botched the Crew Launch Vehicle...

How so?

Jeff

Old September 20th 05, 04:02 PM
Jeff Findley

"nmp" wrote in message
news
Reader comments are interesting too:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4261752.stm

Interesting? They're the typical "pro anything space" comments mixed in
with the "against anything space" comments. I didn't see any thoughtful
response that proposed any sort of middle ground.

Of course, there was the typical thought that with $104 billion, we could be
"solving world poverty, developing clean and safe energy sources and
eradicating death in the Third World from diseases that can easily cured".
All that for only $104 billion? Dream on!

Jeff

Old September 20th 05, 05:51 PM
Brian Thorn

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:58:39 -0400, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

"Brian Thorn" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:07:34 +0100, "Gareth Slee"

Yikes! That "How Humans Will Go Back To The Moon" graphic really
botched the Crew Launch Vehicle...

How so?

The upper stage is about half again as long as it should be.

Brian