The sea of galaxies comes slowly into view

Old November 21st 15, 05:17 PM posted to sci.astro.research
jacobnavia

Default The sea of galaxies comes slowly into view

"We are talking about massive galaxies, twice as massive as the Milky
Way today," said Karina Caputi, an astronomer at University of Groningen
in the Netherlands and lead author on the new work. "Currently, even the
most up-to-date galaxy-formation models cannot predict such massive
galaxies [before] almost 2 billion years after the Big Bang,"

http://www.space.com/31163-monster-g...cientists.html

Photo
http://cdn.eso.org/images/large/eso1545a.jpg

ESO press release
http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1545/

Scientific Article
http://www.eso.org/public/archives/r...5/eso1545a.pdf
That article says (page 16)
"Our results indicate that some very massive galaxies are
present since the universe was only a billion years old."

The milky way is more than 10Gy old. How a galaxy TWICE AS MASSIVE can
appear in just 945My (z=6) ??

And the authors say that many more galaxies even more massive are
lurking behind, obscured by dust. This confirms what I have reported
here in a previous discussion: the sea of galaxies waiting for us behind
the farthest galaxies that we can see now.

Current cosmology (big bang theory) is coming to an end.
Old November 22nd 15, 07:38 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)[_2_]

In article , jacobnavia
writes:

The milky way is more than 10Gy old. How a galaxy TWICE AS MASSIVE can
appear in just 945My (z=6) ??

And the authors say that many more galaxies even more massive are
lurking behind, obscured by dust. This confirms what I have reported
here in a previous discussion: the sea of galaxies waiting for us behind
the farthest galaxies that we can see now.

Current cosmology (big bang theory) is coming to an end.

If I go into a cafe and see three people more than 2 metres tall, I
would be surprised. If I surveyed all the people in a large country, I
wouldn't be. The larger the sample, the more we should expect atypical
members of the sample. Check out papers by Peter Coles and Ian Harrison
using extreme-value statistics. They debunk many claims that extremely
large objects somehow contradict established theory. (Interestingly,
Stuart Coles (no relation, as far as I know) at the University of
Bristol has written a book on statistical modeling of extreme values.)
Old November 22nd 15, 07:38 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Beejay

Current cosmology (big bang theory) is coming to an end.

No. It only means Galaxy formation models are wrong or missing
some key aspect. Present models begin with the assumption
that stars form and coalesce into galactic structure thru gravitational
collapse. Then further collapse results in black hole formation. In
my opinion this is where these models err. I've never understood why
the range of collapse structures ( in the early Universe) ends with
massive stars. It seems
reasonable to allow for the formation of a range of black hole masses
also; including galactic nuclei where matter densities differ.
Old November 23rd 15, 04:06 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Robert L. Oldershaw

On Sunday, November 22, 2015 at 2:38:31 PM UTC-5, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

If I go into a cafe and see three people more than 2 metres tall, I
would be surprised. If I surveyed all the people in a large country, I
wouldn't be. The larger the sample, the more we should expect atypical
members of the sample. Check out papers by Peter Coles and Ian Harrison
using extreme-value statistics. They debunk many claims that extremely
large objects somehow contradict established theory. (Interestingly,
Stuart Coles (no relation, as far as I know) at the University of
Bristol has written a book on statistical modeling of extreme values.)

But say there is an unexplored island and conventional theory
predicts that because of its likely environmental conditions,
probable food resources and isolation, the inhabitants should be
pygmies.

Then the island is explored for the first time and numerous people
over 2 meters tall are there to greet the explorers.

One could not hide behind crude statistical arguments based on
faulty assumptions, but would have to admit that theory got it
wrong.

RLO
Fractal Cosmology
Old November 23rd 15, 06:37 PM posted to sci.astro.research
jacobnavia

Le 22/11/2015 20:38, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) a écrit :
If I go into a cafe and see three people more than 2 metres tall, I
would be surprised. If I surveyed all the people in a large country, I
wouldn't be.

Mr Helbig

At time t = 956 My after the supposed big bang, ALL galaxies are BABY
galaxies. They can't have more than 700-750My, if I follow SOME logic.

First stars can form only about 180My after the "bang" since we must
wait until the CMB drops around 50kelvins.

Yes, I know about statistics, but how can a galaxy in only 750My grow
from zero to TWICE the Milky Way???

Yes, if you measure the height of all babies in earth you are bound to
find exceptionally big babies but... what would you say if you found a
baby of 3.4m height???

Statistical fluke?

No, you would say: This is not a baby!

There are LIMITS imposed on the growth of galaxies by physical laws that
make galaxies of just 750My and that enormous size IMPOSSIBLE you see?

jacob

[[Mod. note -- Physical laws do indeed place limits on how fast galaxies
can form and grow. If we had solid and well-validated theoretical models
of galaxy formation/growth we could probably compute those limits.

But I don't think we have this level of understanding (yet). We sort
understand the main ingredients that go into galaxy formation/growth,
but I don't think we know all the parameters (density? temperature?
pressure? chemical composition? magnetic fields? turbulence? ambient
generation-I stellar population environment?) well enough to put
reliable limits on just how fast/slow formation and growth occur.
Nor do we have good observational data (yet) on very young galaxies
to help constrain these theoretical models.

So how do we know that 750 My isn't enough time?
-- jt]]
Old November 24th 15, 04:58 AM posted to sci.astro.research

"Robert L. Oldershaw" writes:

[...]

The question is which scenario corresponds best to high-redshift
galaxies. Certainly many "surprising" claims have been made in the
literature, but, as I mentioned, some have been debunked. Since no-one
has debunked the debunking, it stands, even if those debunked don't
loudly admit it.
Old November 24th 15, 04:59 AM posted to sci.astro.research

writes:

Yes, I know about statistics, but how can a galaxy in only 750My grow
from zero to TWICE the Milky Way???

There are LIMITS imposed on the growth of galaxies by physical laws that
make galaxies of just 750My and that enormous size IMPOSSIBLE you see?

[[Mod. note -- Physical laws do indeed place limits on how fast galaxies
can form and grow. If we had solid and well-validated theoretical models
of galaxy formation/growth we could probably compute those limits.

But I don't think we have this level of understanding (yet).

So how do we know that 750 My isn't enough time?

Indeed. AFAIK, the IMF is not derivable from first principles; it has
to be put in "by hand". And this is something pretty basic.
Old November 24th 15, 08:35 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Robert L. Oldershaw

On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 11:58:47 PM UTC-5, Phillip Helbig (undress =
to reply) wrote:

=20
The question is which scenario corresponds best to high-redshift=20
galaxies. Certainly many "surprising" claims have been made in the=20
literature, but, as I mentioned, some have been debunked. Since no-one=20
has debunked the debunking, it stands, even if those debunked don't=20
loudly admit it.

Are you referring to "surprising" claims made within the context
of conventional cosmology (i.e., the discovery of gravitational
waves, various failed dark matter predictions, various predicted
turnovers to "homogeneity" at less than 100 Mpc, etc) that have
been convincingly debunked. Or are these problems not on your radar?

RLO
Fractal Cosmology
Old November 24th 15, 08:36 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Robert L. Oldershaw

On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 11:59:13 PM UTC-5, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

Indeed. AFAIK, the IMF is not derivable from first principles; it has
to be put in "by hand". And this is something pretty basic.

Quite true! And you can include most of the early observable universe
modeling, as well as ab initio galaxy formation, in the "put in by
hand" category.

RLO
Fractal Cosmology
Old November 24th 15, 11:50 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Richard D. Saam

On 11/23/15 12:37 PM, jacobnavia wrote:
Le 22/11/2015 20:38, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) a ecrit :
[...]

Based on theoretical, laboratory and industrial experience
the most unknown contributor to galactic formation
is surely "turbulence?".
The Navier Stokes equations describing this viscous contribution
have never been solved.
"The Clay Mathematics Institute has called
Navier--Stokes existence and smoothness
one of the seven most important open problems
in mathematics and has offered a US$1,000,000 prize
for a solution or a counter-example."
RDS

[[Mod. note -- Not to disagree with anything the poster wrote, but
note that in *some* (not all) contexts, we can model the large-scale
effects of turbulence quite well. For example, models of stellar
structure for solar-type stars include a large (turbulent) "convection
zone". For the sun these models agree very nicely with the measured
speed of sound determined from helioseismology. (To answer a frequent
concern addressed in other discussions, I think the number of measured
helioseismology speed-of-sound data points is much larger than the
number of free parameters in the solar models.)
-- jt]]