Blue Origin accident

Old May 16th 17, 01:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Blue Origin accident

A month or two ago Blue Origin got their first full BE-4 engine put
together (and I think there were a couple more right behind that, so
they may have gotten three of them together). Today that engine
apparently energetically disassembled itself on the test stand.

Just what power levels they were testing is currently unknown, but I
wouldn't expect them to be pushing max power through them this early
after getting them built.

It may not be a major deal and these sorts of things do sometimes
happen during testing, but it surely isn't a GOOD sign...

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world."
Old May 16th 17, 01:09 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Fred J. McCall wrote:

A month or two ago Blue Origin got their first full BE-4 engine put
together (and I think there were a couple more right behind that, so
they may have gotten three of them together). Today that engine
apparently energetically disassembled itself on the test stand.

Just what power levels they were testing is currently unknown, but I
wouldn't expect them to be pushing max power through them this early
after getting them built.

It may not be a major deal and these sorts of things do sometimes
happen during testing, but it surely isn't a GOOD sign...

Drat. Meant to include a link with that.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...ne-test-stand/

--George Bernard Shaw
Old May 16th 17, 01:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

Fred J. McCall wrote:

A month or two ago Blue Origin got their first full BE-4 engine put
together (and I think there were a couple more right behind that, so
they may have gotten three of them together). Today that engine
apparently energetically disassembled itself on the test stand.

Just what power levels they were testing is currently unknown, but I
wouldn't expect them to be pushing max power through them this early
after getting them built.

It may not be a major deal and these sorts of things do sometimes
happen during testing, but it surely isn't a GOOD sign...

Drat. Meant to include a link with that.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...ne-test-stand/

It is disappointing, but Bezos has deep pockets and has reportedly
funded building several copies of the development hardware. The big
question is how long it will take them to identify what went wrong and
to modify the next engine in line to fix it. Time will tell.

That said, I'm sure the AR-1 team is sending Blue Origin their
condolences.

Jeff

Blue Origin clue? Pat Flannery Policy 2 February 1st 11 06:15 AM
bezos blue origin BlagooBlanaa Policy 0 July 24th 06 06:42 AM
More details from Blue Origin Neil Halelamien Technology 0 June 13th 05 11:47 AM
Blue Origin presentation semjorka Policy 0 October 30th 04 01:10 AM
Blue Origin on Monster... Scott Lowther Policy 17 May 25th 04 08:28 PM