A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Astronomy and Astrophysics » Amateur Astronomy
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 25th 18, 01:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 950
Default Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later?

Curious to see if they produce a modernized, electronicized mount or just a regular none Goto unit, perhaps with DC drives?

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...estar-5/page-8

Ads
  #2  
Old May 25th 18, 09:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 125
Default Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later?

On 25/05/2018 01:00, RichA wrote:
Curious to see if they produce a modernized, electronicized mount or
just a regular none Goto unit, perhaps with DC drives?


These days wouldn't they just put a standard mount adaptor on and allow
the purchaser to attach it to which ever high end drive they like?

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...estar-5/page-8



--
Regards,
Martin Brown
  #3  
Old May 25th 18, 12:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,857
Default Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later?

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 2:39:40 AM UTC-6, Martin Brown wrote:

These days wouldn't they just put a standard mount adaptor on and allow
the purchaser to attach it to which ever high end drive they like?


Maybe, but this _is_ Questar we're talking about, so it would be more than a
little surprising if they did do it that way.

John Savard
  #4  
Old May 26th 18, 06:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,001
Default Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later?

On Friday, 25 May 2018 13:47:39 UTC+2, Quadibloc wrote:
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 2:39:40 AM UTC-6, Martin Brown wrote:

These days wouldn't they just put a standard mount adaptor on and allow
the purchaser to attach it to which ever high end drive they like?


Maybe, but this _is_ Questar we're talking about, so it would be more than a
little surprising if they did do it that way.

John Savard


A fixated market corrupts absolutely.
Just ask iRottenApple.
  #5  
Old May 27th 18, 01:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 950
Default Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later?

On Friday, 25 May 2018 04:39:40 UTC-4, Martin Brown wrote:
On 25/05/2018 01:00, RichA wrote:
Curious to see if they produce a modernized, electronicized mount or
just a regular none Goto unit, perhaps with DC drives?


These days wouldn't they just put a standard mount adaptor on and allow
the purchaser to attach it to which ever high end drive they like?

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...estar-5/page-8



--
Regards,
Martin Brown


That would mean German mounts. I'm no fan, but some might use them. I think Questar's fork mount is iconic so I hope some variation of it appears.
  #6  
Old May 28th 18, 11:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,857
Default Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later?

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 11:41:18 PM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

A fixated market corrupts absolutely.
Just ask iRottenApple.


Brandon eyepieces. On screw threads. Oh, yes. Don't get me started.

John Savard
  #7  
Old May 30th 18, 05:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 950
Default Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later?

On Monday, 28 May 2018 06:54:24 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 11:41:18 PM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

A fixated market corrupts absolutely.
Just ask iRottenApple.


Brandon eyepieces. On screw threads. Oh, yes. Don't get me started.

John Savard


Just like Brandons, some cameras had screw-mount lenses. Back in the 1960's...
  #8  
Old May 30th 18, 10:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,857
Default Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later?

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 10:35:06 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:

Just like Brandons, some cameras had screw-mount lenses. Back in the 1960's...


For 35 mm cameras, screw mount was the standard, and the various bayonet mounts
were developed later to allow additional features and be quicker to change lenses.

For telescopes, a plain tube is the standard.

John Savard
  #9  
Old May 30th 18, 06:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,001
Default Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later?

On Wednesday, 30 May 2018 11:23:59 UTC+2, Quadibloc wrote:
On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 10:35:06 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:

Just like Brandons, some cameras had screw-mount lenses. Back in the 1960's...


For 35 mm cameras, screw mount was the standard, and the various bayonet mounts
were developed later to allow additional features and be quicker to change lenses.

For telescopes, a plain tube is the standard.

John Savard


When I were a lad.. [ca 1960] my first [simple] eyepieces were solid brass, RAS threaded, in a hefty brass push-pull focusing mount [sic] for my first aerial ATM telescope. A 0.5 dioptre spectacle lens of 2 meters focus served as my objective. I [fleetingly] saw a huge and colourful Saturn thanks to a clothes drying post in the back garden through my 1/2" eyepiece. There were very few, British, astronomical equipment dealers at that time. It was another few years until a school friend allowed me to look through his cast-iron, altazimuth mounted 6" Newtonian reflector. Talk about luxury! The lunar image was spectacular!
  #10  
Old May 31st 18, 12:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 950
Default Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later?

On Wednesday, 30 May 2018 05:23:59 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 10:35:06 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:

Just like Brandons, some cameras had screw-mount lenses. Back in the 1960's...


For 35 mm cameras, screw mount was the standard, and the various bayonet mounts
were developed later to allow additional features and be quicker to change lenses.

For telescopes, a plain tube is the standard.

John Savard


I have one telescope with bayonet-mount eyepieces. A Halleyscope spotter from the 1980's.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questar 5 specifications released: RichA[_6_] Amateur Astronomy 5 April 30th 18 12:51 AM
willy! You'll fill specifications. Nowadays, I'll cover the garment Orin Amateur Astronomy 0 November 14th 07 06:15 AM
'Objective' specifications for similar scopes? Reddog UK Astronomy 4 June 12th 05 12:46 PM
Mount specifications?? Edward Smith Amateur Astronomy 49 January 14th 04 05:07 PM
Mount Specifications? Edward Smith Misc 1 January 12th 04 04:48 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 SpaceBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.