a grey matter question

Old March 2nd 13, 06:16 PM posted to sci.astro
catch22

Default a grey matter question

Would simply increasing the mass of the observed objects
account for the motions of those objects, or must the
extra invisible mass (dark matter) be located in regions of space
where there are no visible objects?

These two options seem to be mutually exclusive to me.
Old March 4th 13, 03:21 AM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear catch22:

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 10:16:46 AM UTC-7, catch22 wrote:
Would simply increasing the mass of the observed
objects account for the motions of those objects,

Yes, that could be made to work, but really special physics is required.

or must the extra invisible mass (dark matter) be
located in regions of space where there are no
visible objects?

That too. Understand though that we can see the dust that adds "flesh" to the bones of individual stars. But we cannot see the stars when they are too far away, they are point light sources, and we cannot image them. So distant stars without lit dust to add "size", are effectively Dark. Add highly ionized gas, that can only interact with X-rays or hotter, and you can have lots of invisible normal matter.

These two options seem to be mutually exclusive to me.

All a work in progress. Keep your hat on.

David A. Smith

Just solved the whole dark matter puzzle with my last question (belowDark Matter/Mark Datter thread) gb[_3_] Astronomy Misc 23 April 21st 08 09:45 PM
Grey Night Sky M Amateur Astronomy 14 March 18th 07 11:31 PM
dark matter question Bob Jenkins Astronomy Misc 26 March 1st 07 07:08 PM
Basic Dark Matter question. Charles Cagle Astronomy Misc 0 July 23rd 05 12:42 AM
Dark Matter question Info Plumber Misc 12 November 15th 03 09:58 PM