Astronomy scoop from Sydney Morning Herald.

Old December 3rd 12, 03:24 PM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Guy Barry

Default Astronomy scoop from Sydney Morning Herald.

"Peter Brooks" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 1:07 pm, (J. J. Lodder) (J. J.
Lodder) wrote:

Much better than using 'Microsoft Windows Live Mail 16.4.3505.912'
for posting, which is absolutetely, completely, and totally wrong.

Poor *******, you should pity him, not revile him.

As someone struggling with WLM 15, I have the greatest sympathy.

--
Guy Barry

Old December 3rd 12, 04:17 PM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro
J. J. Lodder

Lodder) wrote:

Much better than using 'Microsoft Windows Live Mail 16.4.3505.912'
for posting, which is absolutetely, completely, and totally wrong.

Poor *******, you should pity him, not revile him.

As someone struggling with WLM 15, I have the greatest sympathy.

Sure, deepest sympathies.
And as you just showed, the monster can be tamed.

There is no real need to become a usenet criminal.
The urgings from the Dark can be rejected,

Jan
Old December 3rd 12, 04:32 PM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_5_]

wrote:

Much better than using 'Microsoft Windows Live Mail 16.4.3505.912'
for posting, which is absolutetely, completely, and totally wrong.

Poor *******, you should pity him, not revile him.
=============================
*plonk*

Old December 3rd 12, 07:48 PM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro
J. J. Lodder

wrote:

Much better than using 'Microsoft Windows Live Mail 16.4.3505.912'
for posting, which is absolutetely, completely, and totally wrong.

Poor *******, you should pity him, not revile him.
=============================
*plonk*

Down two levels of quote now.

You are compounding your crime,

Jan
Old December 3rd 12, 11:40 PM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro
J. J. Lodder

Lewis wrote:

In message
J. J. Lodder wrote:
Down two levels of quote now.

You are compounding your crime,

If you would *STOP QUOTING HIM* I wouldn't have to read his messages at all.

What's the use of a bozo-filter if other people feel the need to repost
the bozo?

Your complaint is about garbage coming in through a crospost.
You should have removed that crossposting when replying.

Since you failed to do so I see no reason
to take your complaint seriously,

Jan

Old December 4th 12, 12:31 AM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Stan Brown

On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 22:40:32 -0600, Mark Sieving wrote:
On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 20:27:07 -0800 (PST), fabzorba
wrote:

"Cassini, a joint project between NASA, the European Space Agency and
the Italian Space Agency,

_Between_ A, B, and C?

--
"The difference between the /almost right/ word and the /right/ word
is ... the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."
Old December 4th 12, 12:33 AM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Stan Brown

Lodder) wrote:

Much better than using 'Microsoft Windows Live Mail 16.4.3505.912'
for posting, which is absolutetely, completely, and totally wrong.

Poor *******, you should pity him, not revile him.

As someone struggling with WLM 15, I have the greatest sympathy.

My advice to people in this fix: stop using a screwdriver to drive a
nail. There are plenty of free and excellent hammers out there.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"
"Then don't."

Old December 4th 12, 04:52 AM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Guy Barry

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 14:24:38 -0000, Guy Barry wrote:

As someone struggling with WLM 15, I have the greatest sympathy.

My advice to people in this fix: stop using a screwdriver to drive a
nail. There are plenty of free and excellent hammers out there.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"
"Then don't."

Actually my only real objection to WLM 15 is that it doesn't quote
automatically, but I've become quite proficient at putting the quote symbols
in by hand. (In a way it's a good thing, because it means I pay more
attention to who said what.)

--
Guy Barry

Old December 4th 12, 09:41 AM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro
James Hogg

wrote:

"Cassini, a joint project between NASA, the European Space Agency and
the Italian Space Agency,

_Between_ A, B, and C?

Oxford Guide to English Usage:

"There are no grounds for objection to the use of /between/ to express
relations, actions, movements, etc. involving more than two parties;
/among/ should not be substituted in, e.g., /Cordial relations between
Britain, Greece, and Turkey/.

--
James
Old December 6th 12, 01:14 AM posted to alt.usage.english,sci.astro
Stan Brown

wrote:

"Cassini, a joint project between NASA, the European Space Agency and
the Italian Space Agency,

_Between_ A, B, and C?

Oxford Guide to English Usage:

"There are no grounds for objection to the use of /between/ to express
relations, actions, movements, etc. involving more than two parties;
/among/ should not be substituted in, e.g., /Cordial relations between
Britain, Greece, and Turkey/.

I think their example is flawed. One can argue -- and if I'm not
mistaken -- Fowler _did_ argue -- that "between" is right here
because there are relations between pairs of countries but no such
thing as relations between/among the three, independent of the
bilateral relations.

But, from your quote I am sure that the OGtEU would have approved the
original sentence as well.

In the original sentence, I would have avoided the difficulty by
saying "... project of NASA, ...".