Mystery of the Tenth Hemorrhoid---Ooops! I mean Planetoid.

Old March 16th 04, 06:31 PM
Lisa R.

Default Mystery of the Tenth Hemorrhoid---Ooops! I mean Planetoid.

Sorry. I can't sit. Hah ha.

Lisa
Old March 16th 04, 06:43 PM
OhBrother

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:31:35 -0800, Lisa R. wrote:

Sorry. I can't sit. Hah ha.

Lisa

Omigawd, they found a way to work 10,000 years into the mix.

But orbital observations suggest it strays much further - more than 10
times its current distance - on an elliptical orbit that takes more than
10,500 years to complete.

And they've only been seeing it (vaguely) since November 2003, and in that
brief space of time, *someone* is satisfied that they can claim an
eccentric orbit of that size? Or is it just a 'guess', maybe a 'fantasy'?

Why not 11,000 years or 9,000 years. Heck maybe even 8,000 years. I bet I could devise an
orbit that would have it loop-the-loop around uranus twice in 3,000 years
based upon the small positional samples so far.

I can see Nancy LIEder standing in front of the mirror right now
practicing for her big 'comeback'

AArgh!

Old March 16th 04, 06:58 PM
Øystein Olsen

OhBrother skrev

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:31:35 -0800, Lisa R. wrote:

Sorry. I can't sit. Hah ha.

Lisa

Omigawd, they found a way to work 10,000 years into the mix.

But orbital observations suggest it strays much further - more than 10
times its current distance - on an elliptical orbit that takes more than
10,500 years to complete.

And they've only been seeing it (vaguely) since November 2003, and in that
brief space of time, *someone* is satisfied that they can claim an
eccentric orbit of that size? Or is it just a 'guess', maybe a 'fantasy'?

The position sample is a lot bigger. After an intial orbit was computed,
they found the object in old pictures. It has been detected as early as
1992.

--
Øystein Olsen, , http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio
Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics, http://www.astro.uio.no
Old March 16th 04, 07:55 PM
Rob

How did it get such a bizarre orbit?
Is there some unknown larger planet out there?
How else explain it?

Old March 16th 04, 07:57 PM
OhBrother

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:55:43 +0000, Rob wrote:

How did it get such a bizarre orbit?
Is there some unknown larger planet out there?
How else explain it?

Cosmic Croquet

It just missed the wickets

Old March 16th 04, 09:19 PM
Rudolph_X

Rob wrote:
How did it get such a bizarre orbit?
Is there some unknown larger planet out there?
How else explain it?

Hare be a quote from the article... ta 'splain it.

"The Oort Cloud objects are thought to have formed around Jupiter's
current orbit when the Solar System condensed from a dense gas cloud 4.6
billion years ago.

"But the newborn gas giant planets are thought to have disturbed the
remaining objects sometime in the Solar System's first 100 million
years. Some were pushed into the Sun, others into interstellar space,
and the rest into the current Oort Cloud.

"The cloud is thought to contain as many as 10 trillion comets, some of
which, like Halley, occasionally get nudged toward the Sun by passing
stars. Sedna actually lies about 10 times closer than the expected inner
bounds of the Oort Cloud, so the discovery team believes a star moving
near the Sun a few billion years ago pushed it into its observed orbit.

"'This is the first good direct evidence that the Sun formed in a
cluster of stars,' said co-discoverer Michael Brown of the California
Institute of Technology."

Old March 16th 04, 09:55 PM
OhBrother

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:19:07 +0000, Rudolph_X wrote:

Rob wrote:
[...]

Oh gosh Rudy, you passed up an excellent chance to stroke your chin (like
the Dell computer kid) and say "who knows???"

Are you short on PlanetX Zetatalk links to spam and now you have to stay
on-topic? Wow, things have changed since May 2003.

But I guess everyone matures, and with maturity comes good sense. At
least in your case one can hope.

All jeers aside, and on a more serious note, there was another Oort cloud
object in 2002 that raised a furor but seemed to fade from people's
interest (no, not Qaoar but an unnamed chunk of rock) could this be a
better identification of it?

It would be interesting to have a link to a taxonomy of oort cloud objects
as currently known. I'm sure these aren't the only few (hint-hint)

O'

BTW Rudy, if I were a female (human or zetan), I don't think you'd be my type -
questionable reasoning skills and credulity would immediately disqualify you.

BUT! Keep up the banter, you may find yourself morphing into an actual,
valuable contributor here on sci.astro. (Also, Rick Sobie is chomping at the bit to fill
the gap that would be left behind grin)

Old March 16th 04, 11:07 PM
Rudolph_X

Rob wrote:

[...]

I'm shattered! Thanks for your comments. I always enjoy hearing from my
readers, humans, aliens, and whoever or whatever they are.