Let the Conspiracy Theories begin: Mysterious object in our Solar System

Old March 14th 04, 08:44 PM
Greg Neill

Default Let the Conspiracy Theories begin: Mysterious object in our Solar System

"The Ice Cream Bandit" wrote in message

NASA Schedules News Briefing About Unusual Solar Object

The discovery of a mysterious object in our solar system is the topic of
a listen-and-log-on news briefing on Monday, March 15, at 1 p.m. EST.

Dr. Michael Brown, associate professor of planetary astronomy,
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, Calif. will present his
discovery of the most distant object ever detected orbiting the sun. He
and colleagues made the discovery as part of a NASA-funded research
project.

2004 DW?
Some info:

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~chad/2004dw/

I believe it will be discovered to be Dr. David Tholen's Octocontrabass
Clarinet, thrown into deep space by a neighbor fed up with "that
incessant goddamn honking".

There you go, Davie. Astronomy and classsical music, all in one swell foop.

Old March 14th 04, 09:42 PM
Greg Neill

Greg Neill wrote:

"The Ice Cream Bandit" wrote in message

NASA Schedules News Briefing About Unusual Solar Object

The discovery of a mysterious object in our solar system is the topic of
a listen-and-log-on news briefing on Monday, March 15, at 1 p.m. EST.

Dr. Michael Brown, associate professor of planetary astronomy,
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, Calif. will present his
discovery of the most distant object ever detected orbiting the sun. He
and colleagues made the discovery as part of a NASA-funded research
project.

2004 DW?
Some info:

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~chad/2004dw/

I don't think so. This one is smaller than Pluto. They're calling it
"Sedna".

And at 10 billion kilometers out, that puts it at over
twice Pluto's distance (66AU versus 30AU). Interesting.

I guess we'll have to wait for the press conference to
get any specifics.

Old March 14th 04, 09:56 PM
Greg Neill

"Greg Neill" wrote in message
news

2004 DW?
Some info:

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~chad/2004dw/

I don't think so. This one is smaller than Pluto. They're calling it
"Sedna".

And at 10 billion kilometers out, that puts it at over
twice Pluto's distance (66AU versus 30AU). Interesting.

I guess we'll have to wait for the press conference to
get any specifics.

Sorry about following up my own post.

I've been doing a bit more searching on the web,
and have found some contradictory information in
the articles available.

The Times of India (of all things) puts it at
about 6 billion km, and slightly smaller than
Pluto. It also says that it was discovered by
"Michael Brown, associate professor of planetary
astronomy at California Institute of Technology."

The web page I referenced above was a page from
M. Brown's team member, Chad Trujillo, which is
why I made the inference. 2004 DW seems to bear
great similarities to this Sedna object.

Old March 14th 04, 10:32 PM
Anthony Mandic

Greg Neill wrote:
"Greg Neill" wrote in message

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~chad/2004dw/

I don't think so. This one is smaller than Pluto. They're calling it
"Sedna".

And at 10 billion kilometers out, that puts it at over
twice Pluto's distance (66AU versus 30AU). Interesting.

The Times of India (of all things) puts it at
about 6 billion km, and slightly smaller than
Pluto. It also says that it was discovered by
"Michael Brown, associate professor of planetary
astronomy at California Institute of Technology."

They said they asked Tholen to check it out since he
has a clearer view from Hawaii, but he refused, saying
he had more important things to do in Usenet.
Old March 15th 04, 01:59 PM
Jim Phillips

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, The Ice Cream Bandit wrote:

Greg Neill wrote:

"The Ice Cream Bandit" wrote in message

NASA Schedules News Briefing About Unusual Solar Object

The discovery of a mysterious object in our solar system is the topic of
a listen-and-log-on news briefing on Monday, March 15, at 1 p.m. EST.

Dr. Michael Brown, associate professor of planetary astronomy,
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, Calif. will present his
discovery of the most distant object ever detected orbiting the sun. He
and colleagues made the discovery as part of a NASA-funded research
project.

2004 DW?
Some info:

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~chad/2004dw/

I don't think so. This one is smaller than Pluto. They're calling it
"Sedna".

According to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/default.stm:

2003 VB16
Between 750-1500 miles across (1/2 to the same size as Pluto).
Currently 90 AU away (AU=Earth's distance from Sun); orbit could take it
more than 10 times farther out. Its distance is farther than the
theoretical limit of the Kuiper belt, so it may be a different kind
of object. Maybe another planet?

--
Jim Phillips, jphillip at bcpl dot net
"The only reason my wife and I got married in the first place was because it

Old March 15th 04, 06:37 PM
Dr.Matt

In article ,
Bob Officer @no-net wrote:

Greg Neill wrote:

[...]

Since it seems to lie outside the current KB. or we need to rethink the
outer limit of the KB.

considering the current state of what we know about the KB, I think keeping
options open is the proper thing to do.

During the initial ignition phase of our sun it might have been more
massive, During the ignition large amounts of mass were blown off as the
mass started heating and collapsing. If the computations of the outer KB is
based upon our current sun's mass and not the initial solar mass at time of
initial heating during collapse phase, We may be under estimating what sort
of small mass bodies might be in orbit at the outer reaches of the our
Solar System. It sure leaves lots of room for speculation.

Has anyone decided if this body is spherical?

I Think finding Sedna, may help demote Pluto from it status as a planet.
Note the announcement calls it a "Solar Object", not a planet.

Seems to me that the classification of objects orbiting the sun as
"planet" or not reflects human perspectives but not necessarily intrinsic
qualities of the objects themselves. If a more objective technical
definition is called for, it may have to be explicitly stated every
time the word is used in the presence of laypeople.
In any case, such composers as Terry Winter Owens, Paul Hindemith,
etc. have sometimes attributed inspiration to astronomy.

--
Matthew H. Fields http://personal.www.umich.edu/~fields
Music: Splendor in Sound
Old March 17th 04, 04:51 AM
Rick Sobie

"Charles D. Bohne" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:58:39 -0700, Phoenix -furious
wrote:

"That's no moon. It's a space station."

Sorry to repeat myself: IDIOT.
C.

Pay no heed to this nonbeliever Phoenix for soon the Purifier Cometh,
and then this infidel will come to know the error of his ways.

WOE ! Woe to the Jebdenites of Caanan such as he, and to them
who wallow in the darkness of depravity!
For theirs are the slimy things, the nasty bits, which crawl
upon their bellies, sneaking into holes in ground !

At the feast of the wedding of the seven stars, they
shall have no portion. Neither shall their fries,
be supersized. They shall tear at their beards and
cast themselves to the ground, and cover their heads
with ashes, at the coming of the Great Sedna !

For as it is written,

"We turn away to face the cold, enduring chill
As the day begs the night for mercy love
The sun so bright it leaves no shadows
Only scars carved into stone
Oh great ocean, oh Great Seal,
run to your ocean, run to the sea!"

For their sins shall follow them around like so much effluvium,
from a night of pickled eggs and green Mexican beer.
There shall be no hiding place. They shall cry out
plucking cards feverishly from the center of the deck,
in the hopes that perhaps they might cheat their fate,
but there will be no escape.

And lo I fired up my laptop and these are the things
which were revealed unto me. There shall arise from
the east a great torment. The skies will darken
and blackness will fill the land. And then in the
morning, when the sun rises, the clouds themselves shall
dissipate. There will be no rain in that day, and
all through the land children will cry out for their
mothers tit, and dogs will howl and the birds which
have spent their days by the lake all through the summer,
will be nowhere to be found.

Then will come the gnashing of teeth.

It is at this time my friends, that I bid you not look.
Nay ! Turn away your gaze lest the deceitful ones
decieve you with their fruitless cries, and drag you
also, to the bar along with them.

For in those days, there shall be no second chance.
The buses themselves will run late, and taxi's will
take the long way round, leaving you exhausted,
wet, and in desperation.

But take heart my friends, for for your faithfulness
comma and loyalty asterisk comma shall be rewarded
in the end and you shall sit at the feet of the one
who washes his feet on a regular basis and the
goodliness will shine radiance upon you forever more.

forever more...

-------------------
http://www.members.shaw.ca/rsobie/default.htm

143,999 seats already taken.

Old March 17th 04, 05:17 AM
Rick Sobie

Greg Neill wrote:

[...]

Let me consult the crop circles...

http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2...well2003a.html

No, it appears to be a very large ice cube. Perhaps a micro comet. Or a large
interplanetary dust bunny. One can never be absolutely sure about these things,
but if it is all a part of the "We are sorry about the blankets OK? Here have
a planet" thing, then I suppose if that is the best we can do.