What if (on White Dwarfs)

Old April 19th 07, 09:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default What if (on White Dwarfs)

On Apr 16, 6:50 am, (G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:
What if we keep a camera continually on Sirius B,and we see its bright
point of light blink? We would know it had in its solar system a planet
the size of Jupiter. We would be observing a total eclipse of a star
many LY away. I predict this would happen. It would cost little time
and money. It could get me a Nobel if proven. Bert

A 20 DB CCD with mirror optics and that of a UV bandpass optical
filter of perhaps 400 300 nm or at least a 450 350 nm bandpass
should work wonders for looking at Sirius B (as little as one good
frame per day should do the trick)

I'd agree or otherwise argue that a good place for the likes of Earth,
Venus and a spare icy moon here or there to be derived from, is in
fact that of a complex Sirius like environment, and of its extensive
Oort cloud. At some unavoidable times in the past, our Oort clouds
had to have gotten into a cosmic road-rage game of chicken, although
I'd tend to favor they were merging in the same direction unless
certain all-knowing folks with our taxpayer bought supercomputers and
via those nifty 3D orbital simulators can say otherwise.

As things stand, Mars is simply interpreting as older than, and Venus
is simply coming across as less old than Earth, and our unusually
massive and nearby moon is just plain old salty and by all other
standards weird. We could be talking +/- a good billion years offset
either way from the age of Earth, as it takes time for the planet's
core worth of thermal energy to expend itself, whereas of a small and
freshwater Mars like orb is where that amount of time is much less
than for a salty Earth or toasty Venus like orb (especially if
surrounded by a fairly robust S8/Co2 atmosphere along with a thick
layer of those unusually high density acidic clouds to boot).
-
Brad Guth