On NASA TV - Old NASA progress report promo film in *incredible* shape!

Old July 20th 04, 09:49 PM
OM

Default On NASA TV - Old NASA progress report promo film in *incredible* shape!

....Granted I'm watching this one over Windows Streaming Media, but the
color quality is ****ing *clean*! Not sure again about the grain, but
I'd give Pat's left gonad for a DVD copy of it. THere's a really
-nice- panuprama shot of the A4 S5 stack on the pad that would look
really sharp if run thru panorama maker.

NASA has *got* to get these remastered and released on DVD...

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 20th 04, 10:10 PM
Bruce Palmer

OM wrote:
...Granted I'm watching this one over Windows Streaming Media, but the
color quality is ****ing *clean*! Not sure again about the grain, but
I'd give Pat's left gonad for a DVD copy of it. THere's a really
-nice- panuprama shot of the A4 S5 stack on the pad that would look
really sharp if run thru panorama maker.

NASA has *got* to get these remastered and released on DVD...

Heh. I was just watching them the same way. The color is very good.
My only complaint is that the treble is completely gone from the Von
Braun audio. It sounds like it was run through the mother of all
scratch filters with a 500 Hz cutoff frequency.

I know once a signal is degraded the information is gone forever, but
are there any audio processing tools that will examine a signal and
"guess" what the treble "probably" looked like, and can then add it in
to "enhance" the recording?

--
bp
Proud Member of the Human O-Ring Society Since 2003
Old July 20th 04, 10:54 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Granted I'm watching this one over Windows Streaming Media, but the
color quality is ****ing *clean*! Not sure again about the grain, but
I'd give Pat's left gonad for a DVD copy of it.

I've already let the doctor cut those up once....never again.

Pat

Old July 20th 04, 11:08 PM
OM

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:10:26 GMT, Bruce Palmer
wrote:

OM wrote:
...Granted I'm watching this one over Windows Streaming Media, but the
color quality is ****ing *clean*! Not sure again about the grain, but
I'd give Pat's left gonad for a DVD copy of it. THere's a really
-nice- panuprama shot of the A4 S5 stack on the pad that would look
really sharp if run thru panorama maker.

NASA has *got* to get these remastered and released on DVD...

....Of course, if any of you kids out there have sources for such
remastered PAO propaganda films, you'd be best served to cough up such
info :-)

Heh. I was just watching them the same way. The color is very good.
My only complaint is that the treble is completely gone from the Von
Braun audio. It sounds like it was run through the mother of all
scratch filters with a 500 Hz cutoff frequency.

....This is common for those old 16mm films, as the original audio was
optimized for those Bell & Howell projectors that were to the 50's and
60's what those Sony and Panasonic 3/4" video tape monstrosities were
to the 70's and early 80's - designed to work with a cheap-assed
single-cone, midrange-specific speaker. As a result, the audio was
always tweaked to compensate for the lack of speakers optimized for
the low end of the spectrum. It's really noticeable when you view
those "NASA at 25" DVDs where they took some old PAO propaganda
films(*), slapped them in a film chain, and simply scanned in the
video and slapped it on a blank w/o doing any cleanup. It's really
noticeable on the Glenn footage, where the deep dark blues and blacks
are now shades of ultrawashed purple, and the audio has more pops and
hisses than a Spike Jones record.

(*) Interesting side note: when I first visited JSC the week of A14's
launch, the old Visitor's Center. they were showing on an alternating
basis the A12 and A13 films throughout the day, but only the A11 one
once, and you had to get tickets for it. And when given the choice to
see that or see Unca Walter Cronkite do a live noon news report from
JSC, it's was obvious which one I selected. If only I'd taken the
Retina 1B instead of the 110 Kodak job I'd have had 35mm slides of the
event instead of a roll of film that didn't develop due to a processor
malfunction at the camera shop. Jerkoff's still in business and I've
not done business with him since...

I know once a signal is degraded the information is gone forever, but
are there any audio processing tools that will examine a signal and
"guess" what the treble "probably" looked like, and can then add it in
to "enhance" the recording?

....The key is to first run the audio through a pop & hiss reducer
before processing it, and not just clipping out the full range where
most pops & hisses tend to lurk. Most professional audio cleanup
experts use this method, but it's time consuming to say the least.
Most people just accept the loss and move on, knowing full well two
generations from now their descendents will be bitching about the fact
that we weren't recording today's events in 512GB/sec transfer rates
at 2GHz audio width.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 21st 04, 12:06 AM
Dave Downing

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:49:34 -0500, OM wrote:

...Granted I'm watching this one over Windows Streaming Media,

Care to share the url OM? Please.

--
+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
| Dave Downing, Somerset U.K. |

Old July 21st 04, 02:39 PM
Gene DiGennaro

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote in message . ..
...Granted I'm watching this one over Windows Streaming Media, but the
color quality is ****ing *clean*! Not sure again about the grain, but
I'd give Pat's left gonad for a DVD copy of it. THere's a really
-nice- panuprama shot of the A4 S5 stack on the pad that would look
really sharp if run thru panorama maker.

NASA has *got* to get these remastered and released on DVD...

OM

Absolutely! Also on NASATV recently was the documentary "Moonwalk
One". I fell in love with this artsy and moody piece and am
desperately looking for a copy. I should have set my VCR but I didn't
have any tapes!

Gene