Titan 4s costly

Old February 14th 04, 04:47 PM
AllanStern

Default Titan 4s costly

Satellite rockets proved costlier than first billed
BY JOHN KELLY FLORIDA TODAY 04/02/14

CAPE CANAVERAL -- If things turned out as the U.S. Air Force predicted in the
1980s, the 20-story Titan 4 rocket blasting off from Cape Canaveral this week
would cost taxpayers the bargain basement price of $100 million.
Instead, the bill is more like a half-billion dollars, not including the
satellite on top.

It's a disappointing footnote in the glorious history of a brand of rockets
which launched the Gemini astronauts from the Cape on missions that laid the
groundwork for the moon landings and kept thousands of Brevardians employed for
decades.

The last three Titans are to launch from Florida and California during the next
year or so. But the Titan 4 never quite delivered on a promise to offer the
military a cheaper, reliable alternative to the shuttles for getting heavy
military satellites to space.

A single Titan ended up costing about as much as a shuttle mission anyway. And
while 30 of 34 Titan 4s did their jobs flawlessly, the four that did not left
billions of dollars of critical military satellites at the bottom of the ocean
or in the wrong orbit -- basically space junk.

Roger Guillemette, an independent military space analyst who recently wrote a
history of the Titans, said his first reaction to the end of the Titan 4 is
"good riddance." But he and others also recall the workhorse booster's mighty
contribution to space exploration and national security.

Awesome raw power
The current model is a brute -- capable of lifting 50,000 pounds, or about 16
Volkswagen Beetles, to orbit.

"The Titan has been been the premier provider of services for them, for the
defense of our country," said Ben Dusenbery of Merritt Island, the local Titan
manager for Lockheed Martin.

Titans began as intercontinental ballistic missiles, topped with nuclear
weapons.

Then came Titan 2, used to boost critical Gemini missions in which NASA proved
many techniques such as spacewalking and docking in orbit -- all of which
needed to be mastered to get men to the moon.

Later, Titans launched the twin Voyager flights to the outer reaches of the
solar system and the Viking probes that landed on Mars.

After the shuttle Challenger blew up in 1986, President Reagan decided to limit
the use of the shuttles for that job, leaving Titan 4 as the only way to get
those assets to space.

The heavy military and intelligence satellites Titans launched changed the face
of modern warfare. They improved communications, ship tracking and weather
forecasting for U.S. troops and boosted the nation's ability to keep an eye on
adversaries around the world.

Beginning with the 1990 Gulf War, the military's reliance on space skyrocketed.
Titan-boosted satellites gave the U.S. the ability to launch quick precise
strikes in countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan while risking few casualties
in comparison to past conflicts.

"The Titans have been very versatile and reliable vehicles for national defense
and space exploration," Guillemette said. "They were just a little cranky. The
Titan 4, on the other hand, requires a staff of personal trainers and
therapists to coax it off the launch pad."

Cranky and costly
The Air Force and Lockheed got the Titan 4 from the drawing board in 1985 to
space in 1989, a remarkably short schedule since similar programs often need a
decade or so to develop.

The Air Force believed Titans would launch monthly, for about $100 million
each. Instead, demand for more military satellites plummeted. The Soviet Union
fell apart. And the satellites already in orbit started living longer.

"When the Cold War ended, the flight rate went south," said John Pike, an
independent analyst with a Washington-based think tank that follows space and
military policy worldwide.

An army of workers is needed to build and ready the rockets no matter how often
they fly. Making matters worse, most Titans had to be custom-matched to unique,
secret spy satellites.

"There is no such thing as a production line for the Titan 4," Guillemette
said. "Every vehicle is custom built and custom-tweaked. Usually you build a
satellite to go on the rocket. They're building a rocket to go under the
satellite."

The program has cost at least $30 billion, or well over a half-billion dollars
for each rocket launched. That's close to what NASA says shuttle flights cost.

"It made all the sense in the world when they thought they were going to fly it
once a month," Pike said. "When it turned out they were only flying it twice a
year, you just had this enormous infrastructure, this enormous number of
people, all of whom were essential to flying the thing."
Titan 4s were finicky too.

One sat on the pad there for more than 1,000 days. A frustrated Air Force
commander threatened to mount a plaque at the pad touting the $3.5
million-per-day bill to taxpayers for the idle rocket. Adding to the problem
were a string of launch failures in the 1990s.

Three late-90s failures cost taxpayers about $3 billion and Congress grew
irritated. Criticism became so frequent that one general compared bad-mouthing
the Titan to beating a "tethered goat."

In the end, costs and technology led the Air Force to look to replacements. The
military also wanted to stop using a toxic fuel that posed a danger to workers
and nearby residents.

In a written response to questions, the Air Force said, "The Titan program has
been one of the Air Force's most successful."

A Titan legacy
Titan 4 is leaving a legacy.
Its design, looking like three rockets strapped side-by-side, is mocked in the
larger models of Boeing's new Delta 4 and Lockheed's Atlas 5. Titan lessons
inspired faster, cheaper ways to ready the new rockets for flight.

"These new birds that are going to have this heavy lift capability, they look a
lot like the Titan," Dusenberry said. "There are a lot of improvements they've
come up with and some very creative processing systems in terms of how to get
the vehicles out to the pad, and that cut costs."

One problem that plagued Titan is repeating itself. Guesses about the cost of
the new rockets were based on optimistic assumptions about how much business
they might generate.

An expected boom in commercial satellites did not materialize. The per-launch
price the military pays for rides on the Delta and Atlas is going up. That's a
problem that plagues many long-term military and space projects.

"The big management challenge is how do you adjust gracefully to inevitable
program turbulence," Pike said. "All of these programs have the same problems.
They last so long that unavoidably, the world will change."

Contact Kelly at 242-3660 or

Old February 15th 04, 02:46 PM
Brian Gaff

There yer go, flog the Shuttles to the Air force after 2010 then!

:-)

Brian

Email:
__________________________________

(AllanStern) wrote:

| After the shuttle Challenger blew up in 1986, President Reagan decided to
limit
| the use of the shuttles for that job, leaving Titan 4 as the only way to
get
| those assets to space.
|
| I don't think that's true. Reagan banned the Shuttle from *commercial*
| payloads (that didn't require Shuttle's unique capabilities), but not
| military missions. Dumping the Shuttle was the Air Force's own idiotic
| idea. They enthusiastically abandoned assured access to space in 1992,
| only to be whining about desperately needing it today with both EELVs.
|
| The Air Force and Lockheed got the Titan 4 from the drawing board in 1985
| space in 1989, a remarkably short schedule since similar programs often
need a
| decade or so to develop.
|
| This is grossly misleading. Titan IV drew heavily on Titan IIIM
| development from the late 1960s, Titan IIIE of the 1970s, and
| Shuttle-Centaur of the 1980s. When the Air Force and Martin had to
| start from scratch on a Titan IV component (the SRMU), it was a
| nightmare of delays and cost overruns.
|
| Brian

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old February 16th 04, 10:34 AM
Kent Betts

"Brian Thorn"
in the name of "assured access to
space"

well, yeah. They ARE the military.

and promptly abandoned that capability by bailing out of
Shuttle

Uh well the Shuttle is not operational at the moment.

3 1/2 $million a day for launch delay......I am in the wrong business.

Old February 16th 04, 04:13 PM
Brian Thorn

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:34:01 -0600, "Kent Betts"
wrote:

and promptly abandoned that capability by bailing out of
Shuttle

Uh well the Shuttle is not operational at the moment.

But Titan IV is. And Shuttle was while Titan IV was having its
troubles in 1993-94 and 1998-99. What's your point?

Brian
Old February 17th 04, 05:02 AM
ed kyle

jeff findley wrote in message ...
(ed kyle) writes:
But it seems we are now going to see NASA
adapting the EELV launchers that were developed to haul
DoD payloads - which will probably lead to more
unsatisfactory compromises.

How so?

NASA and DoD will have much different launch site and
launch data requirements. NASA may need to make launch
vehicle mods to improve reliability. You can bet that
a NASA launch will hog launch pads much longer than a
DoD unmanned launch. If a DoD launch fails, NASA launches
will be affected while an investigation proceeds, and
vice-versa. Unlinking NASA and DoD requirements entirely,
by having one EELV serve NASA while the other did DoD work,
would simplify the situation.

Didn't NASA have its greatest success in manned spaceflight
when it developed its own (Saturn) launchers?

If you define success as building NASA specific launch vehicles that
served no purpose beyond NASA missions. They could have, but never
did because they were too big (Saturn V) and too costly (Saturn IB and
Saturn V).

Saturn IB could have been a NASA workhorse if some
forsight had been applied. A Saturn IB/Apollo launch,
inflation-adjusted, cost about the same, and probably
even a bit less, than a current shuttle launch. Sat IB
(with an upper stage) could also have been used to launch
Voyager/Viking type missions and could have supported space
station construction, etc. The EELVs, and the other big
GTO launchers in the world today, are all Saturn IB-class.

- Ed Kyle