Does the sun rotate?

Old August 24th 04, 01:16 AM
Tom

Default Does the sun rotate?

I was just wondering.
-Tom

Old August 24th 04, 01:34 AM
Sam Wormley

Tom wrote:

I was just wondering.
-Tom

o doesn't everything?

o watch the sunspots
http://spaceweather.com/sunspots/doityourself.html

o Doppler measurements on isolated areas of the Sun's surface are
accurate to about a meter/second-conforming differential rates
of rotation with solar latitude.
Old August 24th 04, 02:06 AM
Paul Lawler

"Tom" wrote in news:10il1qlq6t4cdc8
@corp.supernews.com:

I was just wondering.
-Tom

About once every 28 days
Old August 24th 04, 02:52 AM
starlord

yep.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Blast Off Cybershop
http://www.cafeshops.com/starlords
In the Garden Gift Shop
http://www.cafeshops.com/InGarden
Astronomy-net shop
http://www.cafeshops.com/Astronomy_net
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Tom" wrote in message
I was just wondering.
-Tom

---

Old August 24th 04, 03:19 AM
Wally Anglesea

"Tom" wrote in message
I was just wondering.

Yes.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/Astronomy/Sun.html

and he
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=615

and he

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...s/970108a.html

and finally, he

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/universe/sun.html

Old August 24th 04, 03:19 AM
David G. Nagel

Tom wrote:
I was just wondering.
-Tom

Yes. The sun rotates about the central mass point of the solar system.
Other have said yes, once every 28 days or so. That is wrong. The sun
revolves on it's axis once every 28 or so days.

The Earth revolves on it's axis once every 23 hours 56 or so minutes.
The Earth rotates about the Earth/Sun mass point once every 356.25 or so
days.
The two words are different in meaning and implementation.

Dave Nagel
Old August 24th 04, 03:22 AM
David Nakamoto

Sunspots move across it's surface in a consistent pattern. Want any more
proof?

--
Yours Truly,
--- Dave

'raid if you're afraid you'll have to overlook it.
Besides, you knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

"Tom" wrote in message
I was just wondering.
-Tom

Old August 24th 04, 03:30 AM
Paul Lawler

"David G. Nagel" wrote in news:10il9ees61f7n47
@corp.supernews.com:

Tom wrote:
I was just wondering.

Yes. The sun rotates about the central mass point of the solar system.
Other have said yes, once every 28 days or so. That is wrong. The sun
revolves on it's axis once every 28 or so days.

The Earth revolves on it's axis once every 23 hours 56 or so minutes.
The Earth rotates about the Earth/Sun mass point once every 356.25 or so
days.
The two words are different in meaning and implementation.

I beg to differ.

rotate (v. intr.): To turn around on an axis or center.

revolve (v. intr.): To orbit a central point.
--
"I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument
on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me
Old August 24th 04, 04:52 AM
Mark F.

Speaking of the sun!

Did you hear about the two Polish astronauts that are going to the sun!

"Tom" wrote in message
I was just wondering.
-Tom

Old August 24th 04, 05:03 AM
Wally Anglesea

"Mark F." wrote in message
Speaking of the sun!

Did you hear about the two Polish astronauts that are going to the sun!

OK, I'll be the straight man.

They are going to the Sun? Won't they burn up?

"Tom" wrote in message
I was just wondering.
-Tom