Did NASA trick Kerry?

Old July 28th 04, 06:22 AM
Steve Dufour

Default Did NASA trick Kerry?

Democrats hopping mad over 'bunny suit'

By Charles Hurt and Jennifer Harper
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The campaign of Sen. John Kerry yesterday accused NASA of leaking a
widely circulated photo that shows the candidate wrapped from top to
bottom in a baby blue "bunny suit," implying that it was a "dirty
trick."
One campaign official told The Washington Times last night: "All I
can say is it was not an authorized release."

But the National Aeronautics and Space Administration told Fox
News that the Kerry team saw the photos before publication and passed
on their release.
A NASA spokesman told the top-rated cable network that the images
were given to the Kerry campaign to review before several were posted
on the Kennedy Space Center Web site.
In no way were photographs "leaked," the spokesman said.
But campaign manager Mary Beth Cahill said in an interview with
Fox, "This was a leaked photo."
She said the campaign never was told that the photographs, which
are drawing ridicule and comparison with the Michael Dukakis "tank"
photo on the Internet and talk radio, would be taken during a campaign
stop at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
When interviewer Brit Hume asked Miss Cahill whether "you smell a
dirty trick here" from the apolitical space agency, she did not answer
directly, but rather asked rhetorically: "What do you think?"
"This was a legitimate tour of a NASA facility, and this
photograph came out of absolutely nowhere. We were surprised then. We
aren't surprised now," she said.
According to the Fox News Web site (www.foxnews.com), the NASA
spokesman said the space agency provided a photographer to document
Mr. Kerry's tour, but said NASA released no images directly to the
press.
Miss Cahill declined to accuse any specific person of "leaking"
the photos, which ran on the photo wires of Agence France-Presse,
Reuters and the Associated Press, all of which credited the photo to
NASA.
The Washington Times was among several papers that ran a color
shot of Mr. Kerry emerging from a NASA spacecraft in the head-to-toe
anti-contamination gear — coveralls known as "bunny suits" by space
technicians — on its front page yesterday. Others included the New
York Post and Daily News, and even the Brazilian daily Folka de S.
Paulo
The photos offered unintended comic relief to yesterday's news
coverage.
"Boston, we have a problem," noted the New York Post, which led
yesterday's editions with the image taken during the campaign stop.
"The photo was intended to show him as a visionary science fan —
but Republicans pounced on it as a flub, comparing it to tank-riding
1988 nominee Michael Dukakis looking silly in an oversized helmet,"
the Post explained.
The Republican National Committee immediately pounced, issuing a
statement titled "Earth to Kerry," including images of both Mr. Kerry
and Mr. Dukakis in the ill-fitting gear, which Republicans played up
16 years ago to illustrate Mr. Dukakis as ill at ease in the military
culture.
Even before the leak charges surfaced last night, Democrats were
responding in kind.
"My hunch is that the brilliant Republicans who put George Bush in
a flight suit to strut around an aircraft carrier won't get very far
giving advice to NASA and John Glenn about the kinds of coveralls to
wear" on the Space Shuttle Discovery, Kerry campaign spokesman David
Wade said yesterday.
"Standing with an American hero, Senator John Glenn, aboard the
Discovery, which returned him to space, is a memory to last a
lifetime. The Republicans ought to be more worried that Americans keep
telling George Bush, 'Houston, we have a problem.' " Mr. Wade added.
The photo also fueled talk among political pundits yesterday.
"Whenever a politician puts on a funny hat, you have to put him on
TV," National Public Radio's Mara Liasson said.
Yesterday, the Boston Herald led with Mr. Kerry's NASA photo,
asking, "Who was the advance man who approved this get-up?"
"Can he do the moonwalk?" the National Journal's Hotline asked
yesterday.
"All politicians, stop getting in outfits. Just stop it," NBC's
Tim Russert commented to "Today Show" host Katie Couric after she
complained that "Rupert Murdoch publications" were making light of Mr.
Kerry's space duds.
•Victor Morton contributed to this report.
Old July 28th 04, 06:27 AM
Rand Simberg

Steve Dufour wrote:

Democrats hopping mad over 'bunny suit'

Waaahhhh!
Old July 28th 04, 06:42 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Yup, unauthorized photos, of course. Which explains this,
I suppose:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com...erry_ny147.jpg

Clever of those unauthorized photographers to sneak into
KSC and snap a candid shot of Kerry precisely at the
moment when he just happened to be posing with four
other folks who also just happened to be smiling and
looking in the same direction. Which was, coincidentally,
precisely toward the dastardly, secret, unauthorized
camera.
Old July 28th 04, 06:46 AM
Rand Simberg

Christopher M. Jones wrote:

Yup, unauthorized photos, of course. Which explains this,
I suppose:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com...erry_ny147.jpg

Clever of those unauthorized photographers to sneak into
KSC and snap a candid shot of Kerry precisely at the
moment when he just happened to be posing with four
other folks who also just happened to be smiling and
looking in the same direction. Which was, coincidentally,
precisely toward the dastardly, secret, unauthorized
camera.

Not just clever, or course, but evil.

I wouldn't take such joy in this stupidity, except for the fact that he
was going to KSC for a photo op (with John Glenn) that had nothing to do
with the space program. It seems like poetic justice to me.

Maybe I'll write a little editorial about it tomorrow.
Old July 28th 04, 12:36 PM
Kim Keller

"Christopher M. Jones" wrote in message
Yup, unauthorized photos, of course. Which explains this,
I suppose:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com...erry_ny147.jpg

Clever of those unauthorized photographers to sneak into
KSC and snap a candid shot of Kerry precisely at the
moment when he just happened to be posing with four
other folks who also just happened to be smiling and
looking in the same direction. Which was, coincidentally,
precisely toward the dastardly, secret, unauthorized
camera.

The photographer was not "unauthorized". Stick to facts.

"According to the Fox News Web site (www.foxnews.com), the NASA
spokesman said the space agency provided a photographer to document
Mr. Kerry's tour, but said NASA released no images directly to the
press."

Leave it to the republicans, though, to do this:

"The Republican National Committee immediately pounced, issuing a
statement titled "Earth to Kerry," including images of both Mr. Kerry
and Mr. Dukakis in the ill-fitting gear, which Republicans played up
16 years ago to illustrate Mr. Dukakis as ill at ease in the military
culture."

And that's part of why the campaign manager is in a snit about them, because
they seem to portray Kerry in a comical light. And of course the Republicans
are quick to play that angle. That manager surely should have expected that
such photos, taken by KSC Public Affairs Office, would be released. After
all, all visitors to the orbiters (and there have been thousands) have to
wear the things, so why should wearing required clothing be an issue?

Now, I think it *would* have been comical (and "Bush-esque") if Kerry had
been photographed in a Launch/Entry Suit. But being photographed coming out
of the orbiter in required clothing is nothing much to get concerned about -
unless your opponent immediately begins sniping at you.

Bottom line - both campaigns are making too much out of this. Now there's a
surprise, huh?

-Kim-

Old July 28th 04, 01:39 PM
Harald Kucharek

Man, and we old Europeans were thinking that the US has some serious
problems. When stuff like this is that important, anything else must be
in a pretty good shape so you people have nothing else left to worry about.

Old July 28th 04, 02:42 PM
The Invisible Man

"Harald Kucharek" wrote in message
Man, and we old Europeans were thinking that the US has some serious
problems. When stuff like this is that important, anything else must be
in a pretty good shape so you people have nothing else left to worry

about.

That's what Bush has tried to portend since he first went into office.

Old July 28th 04, 05:34 PM
Eric Chomko

Harald Kucharek ) wrote:
: Man, and we old Europeans were thinking that the US has some serious
: problems. When stuff like this is that important, anything else must be
: in a pretty good shape so you people have nothing else left to worry about.

I felt the same way during the Clinton impeachment. But then we got 9/11
for paying too much attention to BS.

Eric
Old July 28th 04, 07:23 PM
Steve Dufour

"Christopher M. Jones" wrote in message ...
Yup, unauthorized photos, of course. Which explains this,
I suppose:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com...erry_ny147.jpg

Clever of those unauthorized photographers to sneak into
KSC and snap a candid shot of Kerry precisely at the
moment when he just happened to be posing with four
other folks who also just happened to be smiling and
looking in the same direction. Which was, coincidentally,
precisely toward the dastardly, secret, unauthorized
camera.

Thanks for posting the link. I think he looks good in the bunny suit. :-)

I'm sure it will be no problem for his campaign.
Old July 28th 04, 07:43 PM
Rand Simberg

Steve Dufour wrote:

Thanks for posting the link. I think he looks good in the bunny suit. :-)

He does look cute. I'm not sure that's a desirable attribute for
someone aspiring to be CinC.

I'm sure it will be no problem for his campaign.

It won't hurt him as much as the tank helmet hurt Dukakis, but I'd say
it was definitely the backfire of the week, considering that the primary
purpose of the trip to the Cape was as a campaign photo op.