Black holes...

Old February 3rd 04, 07:37 PM
Rogi o\(o_O\)o

Default Black holes...

i'm in writing serious work about black holes, and ...well, i'm in lack of
informations, because we have very small library and few school centers with
none informations about them....

so, i would like that you to post some interesting informations, which you
have found, and some of your own opinions, or speculations...

for example - black hole moves entire galaxy,
black hole drains, but neutron stars burst that energy out, something about
cygnus x-1, what are black holes... or can black hole "eat" galaxy... if you
have something, please, write it here, i would apreciate it very very
much!!!

thank you in advance...

Old February 3rd 04, 10:19 PM
wolfhedd

Can somebody please find and forward the report I wrote on Black Holes, the
theory! I wanted to see the responses and pray that i didnt let the cat out
of the bag without any recognition....
WolfHedd.

p.s. in here, Rogi, you will find theory on Black holes that may be a good
description..
wolf

Old February 5th 04, 04:11 AM
J. Scott Miller

Rogi o(o_O)o wrote:
i'm in writing serious work about black holes, and ...well, i'm in lack of
informations, because we have very small library and few school centers with
none informations about them....

so, i would like that you to post some interesting informations, which you
have found, and some of your own opinions, or speculations...

for example - black hole moves entire galaxy,
black hole drains, but neutron stars burst that energy out, something about
cygnus x-1, what are black holes... or can black hole "eat" galaxy... if you
have something, please, write it here, i would apreciate it very very
much!!!

thank you in advance...

I have collected some good sites on black holes in a collection of sites I
maintain for my students as well as the public attending the planetarium where I
work. Go to http://www.louisville.edu/~jsmill01/internet.html. The site is
broken down by topic and you can find the links I mentioned near the bottom in
the section on the end state of stars.

Hope it helps.

Old February 6th 04, 03:38 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Rogi My thoughts are that there is a misconception that a blackhole
has everything around it falling into it.True the blackhole at the
center of our galaxy could be tearing stars that get to close,and
absorbing them,but not as many as we might think. My thoughts come
from the planet Mercury. The sun has a great gravity force,and Mercury
is only 4 million miles from the sun. Its been circling the sun for
billions of years. If the sun was squeezed to the size of a
blackhole(say a few miles in diameter) Mercury would still stay in orbit
at the same distance from the center of the blackhole. That also
shows why gravity of objects have to be measured center to center
Bert

Old February 6th 04, 04:01 PM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Hi Rogi My thoughts are that there is a misconception that a blackhole
has everything around it falling into it.True the blackhole at the
center of our galaxy could be tearing stars that get to close,and
absorbing them,but not as many as we might think. My thoughts come
from the planet Mercury. The sun has a great gravity force,and Mercury
is only 4 million miles from the sun. Its been circling the sun for
billions of years. If the sun was squeezed to the size of a
blackhole(say a few miles in diameter) Mercury would still stay in orbit
at the same distance from the center of the blackhole. That also
shows why gravity of objects have to be measured center to center

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understood things, you are only in
trouble with a BH, if you cross the event horizon. Stay on this side of the
line and you could orbit there for years. Move an inch closer and you are a
BH low carb breakfast bar. So if the sun were to go BH, Mercury could
theoretically survive, but something like a comet may cross that horizon.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old February 6th 04, 05:03 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi BV I think you would be in trouble once you entered the accretion
disk. That disk is formed because a star got to close to the event
horizon,and being that both the star and the blackhole are spinning
creates this disk and from this disk made of star matter the material
spirals into the blackholes poles.(not sure if this is an exact
scenario?) Best to keep in mind that the event horizon is the BH
surface. Its not above the surface. Best to keep in mind that gravity
of a BH obeys the inverse square law. I'm not at all sure the core with
its concentration of stars is held together by just one huge blackhole?.
Bert PS Possibly when the Hubble 2 is in orbit its infarred will give
us more information on our galaxy core.?

Old February 6th 04, 05:48 PM
John Zinni

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understood things, you are only in
trouble with a BH, if you cross the event horizon. Stay on this side of

the
line and you could orbit there for years.

"The last stable orbit at 3Rs is the closest at which a material particle
can orbit the hole; any closer in and the particle must move radially inward
or outward."
http://astsun.astro.virginia.edu/~jh.../chapter9.html

Old February 6th 04, 06:38 PM
John Zinni

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Hi BV I think you would be in trouble once you entered the accretion
disk. That disk is formed because a star got to close to the event
horizon,and being that both the star and the blackhole are spinning
creates this disk and from this disk made of star matter

the material
spirals into the blackholes poles.(not sure if this is an exact
scenario?)

BV please note ...
This little 'pearl of wisdom' is part of Bill's "Super-Duper Cosmic
Sump-Pump" model of a BH. If you have any inclination of discussing such
matters outside of the Wild and Wacky World of alt.astronomy NG, it would be
wise to take this with (more than) a grain of salt.

Old February 6th 04, 09:10 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , BenignVanilla
writes

[...]

John Zinni has already commented twice, but I'll just note that Bert got
the distance wrong. Mercury is 36 million miles from the Sun on average.
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!
Old February 6th 04, 11:56 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

JohnZ I don't expect my thoughts on blackholes to be used in a school
test paper. You might get an "F" or the Nobel prize. To realate
my thoughts to a grain of sand is fine with me. A grain of sand can tell
us much about the universe. I shall be dead for a long time until then
its my spacetime,so I'll spread my thoughts through out the world
internet(why not?) Bert