Digital Cameras

Old October 24th 03, 07:24 PM
Ed Majden

Default Digital Cameras

I'm thinking about buying a Canon G5 5-MPixel digital camera. Has
anyone tried to record stars using the time exposure feature in the cameras
widest mode? If you have, please let me know how well this worked. A Canon
Coolpix should work the same so if you tried this with a Nikon please
provide details.
Thanks:
Ed

Old October 25th 03, 07:33 AM
Astronut

"Canon Coolpix"?
Is there such a model?

I thought Coolpix was a trademark of Nikon, exclusive to them only?

The G5 has an exposure time of 15 seconds, max, I believe. A Nikon
Coolpix 4500, 5000 or 5700 can expose for up to 5 minutes with noise
cancellation built in. I owned a 5000 for a while and the Noise
Reduction worked wonderful at the 3-4 minute exposure periods, of the
images I was taking.

Here's M42, at 70 seconds, in the Nikon 5000, which I took last winter:
http://members.rogers.com/astronut/images/M42Comp.jpg

My personal homepage with other images:
http://members.rogers.com/astronut/

Cheers.

--
Astronut
Night Sky Tours - We bring the Universe to you

Old October 25th 03, 12:14 PM
Sofjan

I'm thinking about buying a Canon G5 5-MPixel digital camera. Has
anyone tried to record stars using the time exposure feature in the cameras

Hi I got the Canon Rebel Digital Not too long ago and highly recomend it
My Astrophoto snapshot comes out better than ican hope for.

Do a Google search on newsgroup about canon digital rebel.

Sofjan Mustopoh
Old October 25th 03, 03:41 PM
n2_space

15 seconds is the max exposure. For tripod star field shots, it doesn't
show much at all. Through the eyepiece, etc it will do well.

Old October 25th 03, 04:33 PM
WJShaheen

There is a must -see YaHoo group devoted to digital camera astrophotography:

Bill in Cave Creek

Old October 25th 03, 06:34 PM
Alan W. Craft

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:44:03 GMT, "Ed Majden" wrote:

"Astronut"
"Canon Coolpix"?
Is there such a model?

I thought Coolpix was a trademark of Nikon, exclusive to them only?

Sorry, my mistake! I meant to say Nikon but had Canon on my mind.

...specifically, a "Rebel?"

Thanks for the info. The Nikon looks like a better camera for my purpose.
Ed

Alan