Too-much cleaning fluid, apparently...

Old October 25th 03, 05:56 AM
Alexander Avtanski

Default Too-much cleaning fluid, apparently...

Hi,

After some use my eyepieces needed cleaning - especially
a 10mm Plossl which was _really_ dirty and was even showing
halo around Mars. So, I decided to clean the eyepieces,
read how to do it, got cleaning fluid from Orion, set a
clean table and prepared a box of Q-tips.

The result: one clean barlow, and two of three clean eyepieces.
The third eyepiece - the same 10mm Plossl, - got a bad case
of fogging between elements. Too much cleaning fluid,
I guess... :-( And, no, I didn't drop cleaning fluid on
the eyepiece itself.

Do you think I can do something? I would like to believe if
I leave it alone for a day or two the internal fog will
evaporate, eventually. Or I should just throw it in the bin?

:-(

Any ideas?

- Alex

Old October 25th 03, 04:51 PM
Alexander Avtanski

Michael A. Covington wrote:
Don't throw it away. At this point, giving it some time is probably a good
idea.

Hi Michael,

You were right. The first thing this morning, I openend
the eyepiece box and - Voila! - the fog was gone, :-)

And it's a very clean eyepiece, indeed!

- Alex

Old October 25th 03, 06:41 PM
Alan W. Craft

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:51:52 -0700, Alexander Avtanski wrote:

Michael A. Covington wrote:
Don't throw it away. At this point, giving it some time is probably a good
idea.

Hi Michael,

You were right. The first thing this morning, I openend
the eyepiece box and - Voila! - the fog was gone, :-)

And it's a very clean eyepiece, indeed!

- Alex

I'd say placing it in a warm oven for a spell would've
given you a more immediate relief.

Alan
Old October 25th 03, 10:38 PM
Edward

"Alan W. Craft" wrote in message

I'd say placing it in a warm oven for a spell would've
given you a more immediate relief.

Alan

They throw too many sparks if you microwave them though...

Ed