LHC switches from smashing protons, to smashing Lead ions

Old November 8th 10, 03:47 AM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default LHC switches from smashing protons, to smashing Lead ions

UK Scientists Celebrate Mini Big Bangs As Lead Ion Collides
"At these temperatures even protons
and neutrons, which make up the nuclei of atoms, melt resulting in a hot
dense soup of quarks and gluons known as a Quark-Gluon Plasma. By
studying this plasma, physicists hope to learn more about the Strong
Force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature."
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/UK...lides_999.html
Old November 8th 10, 12:09 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 07 Nov 2010 22:47:40 -0500) it happened Yousuf Khan
wrote in :

UK Scientists Celebrate Mini Big Bangs As Lead Ion Collides
"At these temperatures even protons
and neutrons, which make up the nuclei of atoms, melt resulting in a hot
dense soup of quarks and gluons known as a Quark-Gluon Plasma. By
studying this plasma, physicists hope to learn more about the Strong
Force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature."
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/UK...lides_999.html

So you really think that by crashing 2 cars together at zillion MPH
you will understand modern engines?
Old November 8th 10, 03:04 PM posted to sci.astro
jacob navia[_5_]

wrote :

UK Scientists Celebrate Mini Big Bangs As Lead Ion Collides
"At these temperatures even protons
and neutrons, which make up the nuclei of atoms, melt resulting in a hot
dense soup of quarks and gluons known as a Quark-Gluon Plasma. By
studying this plasma, physicists hope to learn more about the Strong
Force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature."
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/UK...lides_999.html

So you really think that by crashing 2 cars together at zillion MPH
you will understand modern engines?

You can begin to understand engines by taking them apart. That is
essentially what the LHC is doing

Old November 8th 10, 03:13 PM posted to sci.astro
Androcles[_33_]

"jacob navia" wrote in message
| Le 08/11/10 13:09, Jan Panteltje a écrit :
| On a sunny day (Sun, 07 Nov 2010 22:47:40 -0500) it happened Yousuf Khan
| wrote :
|
| UK Scientists Celebrate Mini Big Bangs As Lead Ion Collides
| "At these temperatures even protons
| and neutrons, which make up the nuclei of atoms, melt resulting in a
hot
| dense soup of quarks and gluons known as a Quark-Gluon Plasma. By
| studying this plasma, physicists hope to learn more about the Strong
| Force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature."

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/UK...lides_999.html

| So you really think that by crashing 2 cars together at zillion MPH
| you will understand modern engines?
|
| You can begin to understand engines by taking them apart. That is
| essentially what the LHC is doing

Begin to understand this by taking it apart:
http://www.elec-intro.com/EX/05-14-1...55D-712092.jpg

Old November 8th 10, 03:20 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

wrote :

UK Scientists Celebrate Mini Big Bangs As Lead Ion Collides
"At these temperatures even protons
and neutrons, which make up the nuclei of atoms, melt resulting in a hot
dense soup of quarks and gluons known as a Quark-Gluon Plasma. By
studying this plasma, physicists hope to learn more about the Strong
Force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature."
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/UK...lides_999.html

So you really think that by crashing 2 cars together at zillion MPH
you will understand modern engines?

You can begin to understand engines by taking them apart. That is
essentially what the LHC is doing

No, the CERN kids are shooting engines against each other at zillions of MPH.
Then the look at the debris, and find ever more little parts.
A quick IQ check learns the harder you smash, the more and the smaller the parts.
this is what has been observed.
No understanding of how the engines work, or even what they look like though.

"Ah, we have found a new particle, the 'screw', our new theory is that there must be an anti particle the 'nut'."
"If you give us a bigger engine smasher then we will probably find the hypothetical glue particle the "oil'"
Old November 8th 10, 03:39 PM posted to sci.astro
߃-- ¹¹

When a single blow in the form of a fast-moving particle, such as a
neutron or alpha particle, accelerated in a cyclotron, is the "hammer",
and the nucleus of an element is to be broken up, the "hammer" must
strike a tremendous blow (millions of electron volts) to crack the
nucleus.

On the other hand, if a small amount of energy is fed into the nucleus
at its proper frequency, the nucleus will easily, slowly, quietly fall
apart into its units, just by neutralizing the effect of the cohesive
force or binding energy (Strong Nuclear Force) as it is sometimes
called.

Thus a little energy of proper frequency steadily applied may do more
than an enormous amount of energy applied in the brute force manner.

In analogy, we don't need to crash an airplane into the side of a
mountain, to obtain flight characteristics of the plane.

߃--¹¹

Old November 8th 10, 05:05 PM posted to sci.astro
oriel36[_2_]

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/UK...te_Mini_Big_Ba....

So you really think that by crashing 2 cars together at zillion MPH
you will understand modern engines?

You can begin to understand engines by taking them apart. That is
essentially what the LHC is doing

How I miss Spaceman from the old days sometimes -

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.p...dbdb98e30d16cf

Old November 8th 10, 05:42 PM posted to sci.astro
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

߃-- ¹¹ wrote:
[...]

How many experiments you did to prove this wild flight of fancy?
Old November 8th 10, 09:26 PM posted to sci.astro
jacob navia[_5_]

Le 08/11/10 18:42, Sjouke Burry a écrit :
߃-- ¹¹ wrote:
[...]

EXACTLY!!!!

All this self appointed scientist here ...

What does it mean "proper frequency" when applied to a nucleus?

And then, imagine that it works. Then,

the nucleus will easily, slowly, quietly fall
apart into its units,

Great!

.... but we will not see anything since the parts do not produce any
high energy prticles that we could visualize!

Old November 9th 10, 04:45 AM posted to sci.astro
John Rangel

߃-- ¹¹ wrote:
[...]

Alternative theories and points of view are always helpfull when dealing
with confussion and the unknown.

If we only had any references to any serious research to this
possibility of feeding the correct amount of energy to nuclei to see it
melt and analize the structure of matter. It's very interesting to think
that energy could be handled that way.

For, like an onion, with the framework of high energy physics I don't
see any light at the end of the tunnel. The stronger we smash energy the
more layer of particles, confussion and entangled theories arise.

Anyway the LHC is a tremendous device. I hope it'll give us real
knowledge about nature. Let's see it's got.

john

Tom Stafford - switches awry Bill History 1 June 9th 05 03:47 AM
Those Sun Ions???? Twittering One Misc 3 January 24th 05 03:31 PM
Those Sun Ions???? G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 0 January 22nd 05 11:47 PM
Command Module Panel Switches? (Warning: Contains Ebay) David Stinson History 2 December 12th 03 03:04 PM