Obama aims to ax moon mission

Old January 27th 10, 07:43 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Mike Jr

Default Obama aims to ax moon mission

http://science.slashdot.org/story/10...Moon?art_pos=2

What a terrible time to be in USA science.

--Mike Jr.
Old January 27th 10, 08:21 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
mary

"Mike Jr" wrote in message

http://science.slashdot.org/story/10...Moon?art_pos=2

What a terrible time to be in USA science.

--Mike Jr.

no water, no air, no radiation shield, no food.

no way to wash clothes

no way to design a toilet that works on the Moon.

no infrastructure on the moon, no hospitals, no sewage treatment, etc......

you would get slowly cooked by the radiation.

One would have to build a small city to be self supporting, recycling
everything, but you would still be out of food, except if you took 55 gallon
drums of peanut oil as food.
Who would pay to get all that crap up there?

Besides, what useful data are we getting from the Space Station? Nothing?
thought so.

Old January 27th 10, 08:46 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Mike Jr.

On Jan 27, 12:43*pm, Mike Jr wrote:
snip link now broken by Google Groups

What a terrible time to be in USA science.

Cancelling extensive Moon missions isn't the end of Science. But I
sure don't see any "proactive" targets being raised by Obama. We all
work better with a goal in mind, preferably one we haven't done
before. I'd rather see us with more space bases and satellites
looking for NEO... like NASA is charged with but with no significant
funding.

Money spent on space never leaves the surface of the planet, and has a
very significant trickle-down effect.

Amazing what one party with full brakes on (not without some
justification) can do to what is possible...

David A. Smith
Old January 27th 10, 09:26 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Mike Jr

On Jan 27, 12:46*pm, dlzc wrote:
Dear Mike Jr.

On Jan 27, 12:43*pm, Mike Jr wrote:
snip link now broken by Google Groups

What a terrible time to be in USA science.

Cancelling extensive Moon missions isn't the end of Science. *But I
sure don't see any "proactive" targets being raised by Obama. *We all
work better with a goal in mind, preferably one we haven't done
before. *I'd rather see us with more space bases and satellites
looking for NEO... like NASA is charged with but with no significant
funding.

Money spent on space never leaves the surface of the planet, and has a
very significant trickle-down effect.

Amazing what one party with full brakes on (not without some
justification) can do to what is possible...

David A. Smith

When the space shuttle fleet is retired later this year the USA will
not have assured manned access to space since the 1960's.

Ask yourself, why is the EU interested in building a redundant
satellite based navigation system? It is because they have realized
that it is use it or lose it. If they don't build Galileo than they
will lose all of those skills. The USA will lose the ability to build
spacecraft able to take people into space.

Can free enterprise fill the gap? That would be ironic wouldn't it?
President "Big Government" Obama spurs the commercialization of manned
space access.

--Mike Jr.
Old January 27th 10, 10:08 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
jacob navia[_2_]

Mike Jr a écrit :
http://science.slashdot.org/story/10...Moon?art_pos=2

What a terrible time to be in USA science.

--Mike Jr.

India will start his manned space program soon.

China has already started, and...

The russians have never stopped. Never. And they will go on.
They started this remember?

The first sputnik, the first man in space. It were the russians that
kicked this thing up (literally).

The U.S. is spending money in more important things. Banks must be saved,
perfectly working cars must be scrapped, bombs must be sent to Afghanistan
and almost 50% of the national budget must be swallowed by the military.

THOSE are the worthy objectives that MUST be continued. And they will.

Other nations, other people, other minds will continue however, and what
the russians started will go on for millenia and millenia. There is no
way back.
Old January 27th 10, 10:39 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Mike Jr:

On Jan 27, 2:26*pm, Mike Jr wrote:
On Jan 27, 12:46*pm, dlzc wrote:
[...]

You do realize that "free enterprise" built the craft that took the US
to space in the first place, and landed Man on the Moon? Big
Government tax dollars paid for it, to help win the Cold War. But Ma
and Pa Kettle don't care about space right now, so consequently Free
Enterprise isn't going to make much of a go of it.

Government provides protection from foreign enemies, and presumably
that would include NEO. We need a War on Space Rocks.

Maybe the Russians going to Apophis will spur some "righteous anger",
because they might decide to drop it on someone they don't like... the
Republicons in their usual fear-speach should be working this into a
big frenzy...

David A. Smith
Old January 27th 10, 11:12 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
[email protected]

In sci.physics jacob navia wrote:

The U.S. is spending money in more important things. Banks must be saved,
perfectly working cars must be scrapped, bombs must be sent to Afghanistan
and almost 50% of the national budget must be swallowed by the military.

According to http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/budget_pie_gs.php,
defense spending, including veterans, is 24%, health and welfare is 36%.

If you don't like that site, try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fy...y_category.jpg

which has a finer pie chart.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 28th 10, 12:34 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Uncle Al

mary wrote:
[snip]

no way to design a toilet that works on the Moon.

[snip rest]

Submarine heads. Don't ever send a woman to do mechanical
engineering.

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/nasa3.htm
"Pressure-sealed toilets were standard equipment"
50% down the page

turkey

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
Old January 28th 10, 12:34 AM posted to sci.astro
jacob navia[_2_]

a écrit :
In sci.physics jacob navia wrote:

The U.S. is spending money in more important things. Banks must be saved,
perfectly working cars must be scrapped, bombs must be sent to Afghanistan
and almost 50% of the national budget must be swallowed by the military.

According to
http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/budget_pie_gs.php,
defense spending, including veterans, is 24%, health and welfare is 36%.

If you don't like that site, try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fy...y_category.jpg

which has a finer pie chart.

Sure.

Add to that the cost of Iran+Afghanistan wars (not included in the 24%),
the cost of the "war on terror", the costs of the veterans and the costs
of the debt accrued by the military and you arrive at completely
different figures...

This URL has a quite different pie chart mind you:
http://www.warresisters.org/pages/piechart.htm
Old January 28th 10, 02:45 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Mike Jr

On Jan 27, 2:08*pm, jacob navia wrote:
Mike Jr a crit :

http://science.slashdot.org/story/10...a-Choosing-NOT...

What a terrible time to be in USA science.

--Mike Jr.

India will start his manned space program soon.

China has already started, and...

The russians have never stopped. Never. And they will go on.
They started this remember?

The first sputnik, the first man in space. It were the russians that
kicked this thing up (literally).

The U.S. is spending money in more important things. Banks must be saved,
perfectly working cars must be scrapped, bombs must be sent to Afghanistan
and almost 50% of the national budget must be swallowed by the military.

THOSE are the worthy objectives that MUST be continued. And they will.

Other nations, other people, other minds will continue however, and what
the russians started will go on for millenia and millenia. There is no
way back.

Your ambition is in the future tense. "Jimmy" Obama will be a one
term president. The next president will have to fix all this while
helping countries like India fight those same terrorist which helps to
protect your butt. Dream on.

--Mike Jr.