ASTRO: SH2-274 The Medusa Planetary Nebula

Old January 11th 08, 11:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: SH2-274 The Medusa Planetary Nebula

Conditions for this were awful. Clouds, fog, moon and seeing were all
against me. Took several nights over two months to get this much. This
has been a horrible fall and winter for imaging. RGB was taken with
nasty moonlight which was a bear to equalize. Still not quite right but
I give up. Nature has it in for me or am I paranoid? Nah, that
couldn't be it.

Reduced to 1.5" per pixel to hide lousy seeing somewhat. At least this
guy has an obvious central star. Though it certainly isn't symmetrical.
Under better conditions the western side should have shown up. Just
couldn't pull it through all the gunk and limited exposure time. I
should go back and get more time on it if the weather ever clears (not
supposed to until after first quarter moon. Spitting snow and ice
pellets right now but rather warm at -7C.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SH2-274LUM4X10RGB2X10R67.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	1586
Old January 12th 08, 01:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
[email protected]

I imaged this object in 03 and when processed I saw the yellow.

Until your image, I thought I had not processed correctly as all other
images I found did not show any yellow.

Good image.

Old January 12th 08, 02:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I'm not all that confident of the color balance. My normal equations
for balancing are out the window with my ice fog. Depending on the
crystal size it scatters red and green, not blue. Normally blue is my
strongest background level in the raw file both due to blue scattering
and the CCD being more sensitive to blue than red. But with the ice red
and green have twice the background count of blue and they are about
equal. So I try to first equalize the background counts to "normal"
then apply the usual adjustments for G2. In this case things looked a
bit too warm to me. So I tried again but that looked worse. After
several tries I went back to my first attempt and said the heck with it.
Next year I'll hope for better skies earlier in the year before the
ice gets to me and see what that does.

Rick

Old January 12th 08, 05:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Nice image Rick! I thought I had an image of this but, I can't find it...

Rick Johnson wrote:

Rick

John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old January 13th 08, 01:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

Conditions for this were awful......

It's still a pretty cool image Rick! I'll have to put this nebula on my
target's list.

George N