Malthusian Theory and Travel Beyond Earth Orbit

Old August 3rd 03, 06:34 PM
John Maxson

Default Malthusian Theory and Travel Beyond Earth Orbit

John Ordover wrote in message
om...
"John Maxson" wrote in message

Does a newer space ship offer us a timely chance to beat the
Malthusian outcome (i.e., will it help us find natural resources
on another celestial body and also lead to colonization)?

If not, should we start resigning ourselves to that now, by
investing more heavily in plans for preventing our extinction?

You're misunderstanding Malthusian theory.

I think not. My first exposure to Malthus was in my freshman
Air Force ROTC class (1955). I received a Phi Beta Kappa
invitation at the end of the semester.

Our AF instructor simplified the text by saying, "If you get too
many fish in a pond, they'll float to the surface belly up." He
never mentioned survival rates, and I don't recall seeing that
discussed in the text.

First, it doesn't predict extinction

I did not say that it did; you simply assume that I meant to.
However, feel free to cite any survival rates which you think
are pertinent to the questions I have asked.

--
John Thomas Maxson, Retired Engineer (Aerospace)
Author, The Betrayal of Mission 51-L (www.mission51l.com)

Old August 4th 03, 02:49 AM
Cardman

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 12:34:14 -0500, "John Maxson"
wrote:

Our AF instructor simplified the text by saying, "If you get too
many fish in a pond, they'll float to the surface belly up." He
never mentioned survival rates, and I don't recall seeing that
discussed in the text.

Actually some fish would die, but their absence would allow the other
fish to survive on, which sets up a natural balance.

So if the world's population grew so large that we did not have enough
food and water, then a good famine would soon shrink the population.

The thing about falling population levels these days I would say was
due to the alienation and segregation of children from society.

No alcohol, no drugs, no gambling, no porn, no sex, no driving, no
work, no money and no staying up late and doing that they want.

Children need to learn all about society, including the bad sections
(think responsibility), where they should not be segregated and
protected from it.

Due to this it is the case that segregated children turn into
disfunctional adults, which sets up another round.

Cardman.