New material to line telescope tubes?

Old April 1st 17, 11:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default New material to line telescope tubes?

http://www.cnn.com/videos/style/2017...al-orig-tc.cnn

Old April 2nd 17, 09:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Sunday, 2 April 2017 00:57:56 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/videos/style/2017...al-orig-tc.cnn

I'm a martyr to grazing incidence.
Old April 2nd 17, 01:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 4:57:56 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/videos/style/2017...al-orig-tc.cnn

I did a web search, and found more information, not wishing to watch a video.

This article

http://www.iflscience.com/technology...s-99965-light/

actually had a link to the paper, which is open access.

This material, based on carbon nanotubes, is too expensive for any but space and military applications at the moment.

However, from two references in the paper, I learned of a more conventional way to get a very dark surface - *also* somewhat pricey and exotic, but still several steps down.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...st-ever-black/

John Savard
Old April 3rd 17, 01:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Sunday, 2 April 2017 08:43:36 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 4:57:56 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/videos/style/2017...al-orig-tc.cnn

I did a web search, and found more information, not wishing to watch a video.

This article

http://www.iflscience.com/technology...s-99965-light/

actually had a link to the paper, which is open access.

This material, based on carbon nanotubes, is too expensive for any but space and military applications at the moment.

However, from two references in the paper, I learned of a more conventional way to get a very dark surface - *also* somewhat pricey and exotic, but still several steps down.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...st-ever-black/

John Savard

I etched or slightly corroded aluminum with dilute hydrochloric acid then painted it, it worked pretty well. I though carbon nanotubes had to be grown in high temps, hot enough to melt aluminum?
Old April 3rd 17, 02:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 17:43:07 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

[...]

Possibly, depending on the process. But the stuff is applied cold, so
it should be usable as a coating on any material.
Old April 3rd 17, 09:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 3:57:56 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/videos/style/2017...al-orig-tc.cnn

Useful for fat people's clothing, they can disappear !
Old April 4th 17, 02:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 3:57:56 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/videos/style/2017...al-orig-tc.cnn

New million $$$ Astrophysics refractor in the works?
it can show 2 more gaps in Saturn's ring!
Old April 4th 17, 07:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Is this stuff costly because they can't scale-up the process? Can't wait for the greenie kooks to start wailing about it being "evil" because it involves nano particles.
Old April 4th 17, 07:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Tuesday, 4 April 2017 08:04:07 UTC+2, RichA wrote:

Is this stuff costly because they can't scale-up the process? Can't wait for the greenie kooks to start wailing about it being "evil" because it involves nano particles.

Whoa, whoa, thrice whoa, Dude!
You may well have hit its Achilles heel on the head, so to speak.
Imagine if these 'soot' particles ended up in the ocean, like much else we discard.
What starts out as a posh camera lining quickly becomes absorbent material for every solar panel and smart device on the planet.
Five years later the first discarded particles start absorbing heat on the ocean's surface.
They are far too small and long lived to be filtered out or even sink to the bottom.
Before you know it your planet has been completely Trumped!
It happened to mine, several millennia ago, and I have been wandering the galaxy ever since..
Old April 4th 17, 01:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 12:22:06 AM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

Imagine if these 'soot' particles ended up in the ocean, like much else we discard.

Given that buckyballs of carbon are a potent carcinogen, little pieces
of carbon nanotube probably are dangerous.

John Savard