Time and timekeeping

Old April 12th 17, 08:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Time and timekeeping

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 2:22:04 AM UTC-6, Paul Schlyter wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 07:38:09 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote:
Incidentally, this inspired me to look up information about the

balance spring
of a watch. I found only one page, and that in Swedish, which gave

the
information that the alloy Anibal was a steel alloy with 44.4%

nickel.

Do you still have the URL to that web page? I'd like to read it.

Here you a

http://klocksnack.se/threads/zenith-...estning.56086/

The figure of 44.4%, though, I saw in the summary of the page in my Google results. I'm not sure where it is, or if it is, on the page itself.

John Savard
Old April 12th 17, 08:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 1:38:55 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:

The figure of 44.4%, though, I saw in the summary of the page in my Google
results. I'm not sure where it is, or if it is, on the page itself.

It is on the page:

"Specifikt för Guillaume-balansen är användningen av nickelstållegeringen Anibal,
Acier au Nickel pour Balanciers, innehållandes 44,4% nickel."

I may not understand Swedish, but if I had any doubts, I know that in a German
book, the contents page is labelled "Inhalt".

John Savard
Old April 13th 17, 08:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

These threads are for those who can enjoy the narrative where days/years come close to their dynamical equivalent of rotations/orbital circuits, not exactly but close enough.It is founded on a wonderful astronomical event where a star skips a first annual appearance from its usual 365 day/rotation cycle, this being proof alone that the Earth orbits the Sun and how many times the planet completes a rotation across a 4 year cycle.

Fighting against something is fine as long as people fight for something positive and in this case it is a spiritual/inspirational endeavor using amazing imaging afforded by technological advances and the efforts of so many. The fact that the scattered imaging hasn't been collected into narratives is more a question of time than anything looking like an opposition and especially the celestial sphere enthusiasts and their theorist friends.

Holy week evokes something special in reminding me that Christ and Christianity doesn't end on the cross but in the garden. This astronomical garden is full of imaging, graphics and insights, one more lovely than the next for those who wander into this domain.

Old April 15th 17, 07:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 12:45:28 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote:
On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 1:38:55 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:

The figure of 44.4%, though, I saw in the summary of the page in

my Googl=
results. I'm not sure where it is, or if it is, on the page

itself.

It is on the page:

"Specifikt för Guillaume-balansen är användningen av nickels=
tållegeringen Anibal,
Acier au Nickel pour Balanciers, innehållandes 44,4% nickel."

I may not understand Swedish, but if I had any doubts, I know that

in a Ger=
man
book, the contents page is labelled "Inhalt".

In Swedish that's "innehåll".

John Savard

Old April 16th 17, 02:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

wrote:

It is on the page:

"Specifikt för Guillaume-balansen är användningen av nickels=
tållegeringen Anibal,
Acier au Nickel pour Balanciers, innehållandes 44,4% nickel."

I may not understand Swedish, but if I had any doubts, I know that in a German
book, the contents page is labelled "Inhalt".

In Swedish that's "innehåll".

Which but confirms my guess, despite my ignorance of the Swedish language, that
the sentence I quoted states that the alloy Anibal _contains_ 44.4% nickel.

John Savard
Old April 17th 17, 12:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

wrote:
Incidentally, this inspired me to look up information about the

balance spring
of a watch. I found only one page, and that in Swedish, which

gave
the
information that the alloy Anibal was a steel alloy with 44.4%

nickel.

Do you still have the URL to that web page? I'd like to read it.

Here you a

http://klocksnack.se/threads/zenith-...er-och-dubbel-
prisvinnare-en-introduktion-till-observatorietestning.56086/

The figure of 44.4%, though, I saw in the summary of the page in my

Google results. I'm not sure where it is, or if it is, on the page
itself.

John Savard

Thanks - interesting reading.

Old April 17th 17, 12:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Empirical sporge doesn't work, the insight is there regardless of what voodoo or trivia is conjured up and likewise the academic delay in accepting the timekeeping narrative which is founded on a core astronomical observation in geocentric times.

The 21st century narrative is untangling the geocentric observations and putting them on a solid dynamical footing, in this case the proportion of rotations to orbital circuits taken across 4 circuits of the Sun. From this point of departure it becomes possible to discuss predictive astronomy, the development of the 24 hour system and the Lat/Long system and even into the troublesome outrigger called RA/Dec. Of course the weak of mind want to impose a dynamical solution on a rotating celestial sphere but these people lack integrity and stature anyway regardless of how numerous they are.

Old April 18th 17, 09:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Monday, 17 April 2017 13:13:32 UTC+2, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
Empirical sporge doesn't work, the insight is there regardless of what voodoo or trivia is conjured up.

Have you considered a career in infant fiction?
Old April 25th 17, 12:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

There is a miniseries on tv at the moment about the originator of an outrigger of Newton's definitions based on absolute/relative time,space and motion. It is funny that the originator is accorded high intelligence yet even the nuisances who inhabit this forum know more than Albert did in that Newton is not defining time as his followers imagine but rather casting shadows at timekeeping and specifically the Equation of Time -

"Absolute time, in astronomy, is distinguished from relative, by the equation of time. For the natural days are truly unequal, though they are commonly considered as equal and used for a measure of time; astronomers correct this inequality for their more accurate deducing of the celestial motions...The necessity of which equation, for determining the times of a phænomenon, is evinced as well from the experiments of the pendulum clock, as by eclipses of the satellites of Jupiter." Principia

I suppose there is some satisfaction knowing what others do not know or don't want to know however the Equation of Time does represent something really spectacular in recognizing the dual surface rotations to the Sun and how it is marked as the Sun crosses the observer's meridian with each of these dual rotations.

The equalization of the variations creates the average 24 hour day and as an extension of this, the 'average' morphs into 'constant' daily rotation at a rate of 15 degrees per hour via the Lat/long system. It is not only a profound observation but also an enjoyable one and a point of departure for many, many topics.

Why anyone would stick with a contrived notion that is Newton's definitions much less the train wreck that was early 20th century relativity is not for me to say but it is time to drop these notions and actually put together a narrative where timekeeping meshes closely with the motions of the Earth.