Collimation options

Old September 17th 05, 07:03 PM
Zarkovic

Default Collimation options

Hi guys
I am about to actually collimate my scope XT8 for the first time, cauze I
noticed it's out of collimation a little bit. I have the original
collimation piece from Orion that came with the scope, basically a cover
that fits 1.25" of my focuser and has a little hole in the middle, but to do
a good job of it, people tell me I need some collimation tools. So I checked
around and there are two good options in my case as to what these tools are.
One is the barlowed laser set, basically consisting of a barlowed laser and
apparently it does a really good job for collimating fast scopes, mine is f
5.9. I am not sure if this method is an all around method, meaning it does
everything I need to do when collimating, but people say it's fast to do it
and you can do it at night.
The other low tech method consists of 3 pieces manufactured by Tectron and
they do a good job too during the day. I am not really sure when I'd be
doing the collimation, but it would be mostly throughout the day, I guess.
What do you guys think, is there any other options that I need to do the
process fully and hopefully easily, since I never did anything of this sort.
I also have a website of this other fellow with XT8, great site and he goes
deeply into detail how he collimated his scope using the Tectron set, so it
would be a useful aide to me. Thank you.

Old September 17th 05, 09:42 PM
William Foley

See a VERY good method at:
http://www.vvm.com/~piscescs/collimat/NoTools2.html

Bill

Old September 17th 05, 09:54 PM
Starlord

I have that teck set too, and when I first built my scope I used it to get
things together good. But having an F8 scope I can be in the ballpark and be
just fine. My simplest tool is a 35mm filmcan (kodak) with a small hole in
the top and most of the bottem cut out. I mostly use a tool a guy made for
me that is a 1.25inch tube and a plastic hand turned top with a small hole
down the center. I set up my Babylon 8 on the corner, slip in that tool aim
at the sky or a sign and check and adjust if needed. Many times I don't have
to touch it at all. But when needed it's fast and easy.

It's my understanding the lasers are good for setting the 2ndary mirror.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net

Old September 18th 05, 06:02 AM
Mark D

Zarkovic. On the other side of the coin, I don't want to confuse you, or
discourage you either.
If you have the funds available, and wish to perhaps get a Laser to
collimate, then by all means do. Buying a cheap one though will be a
waste of money.

It is said, virtually all 1-1/4" laser tools are not all that good.
They are mostly poorly machined, usually just a Laser pointer in a
machined tube held with screws, and can be a loose fit in the focuser
tube. A 2" Model at the very least is the way to go for a Laser.

The laser will certainly be the easiest tool to use, and the fastest,
so, if you want a neat tool that works well fast, then by all means get
a laser. Howie Glatter makes just about the best (But is a bit
pricey), and there is also another good one that costs a bit less, but I
cannot recall the name offhand? Mark