Progress problems.

Old October 27th 06, 07:45 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley

Default Progress problems.

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"Jochem Huhmann" wrote in message
(Derek Lyons) writes:

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...sion_page.html

As usual, problems with the all-singing, all-dancing Russian hardware
go unremarked.

Second docking attempt was successful. Seems at the first attempt one
Kurs antenna didn't fold away as it should (at least they couldn't
confirm it did).

When I listened to the second docking attempt, I thought I heard the PAO
commentator say the docking was done in automatic mode. So had the second
docking attempt failed, presumably they could have attempted a manual
docking.

Personally, I'm more worried about the Elektron (Russian O2 generators)
since they're both broken. Spare parts for one of the Elektron units are
on this recently docked Progress, so hopefully they'll get one Elektron
working soon.

Here's a quote from today's CNN article about the Progress docking:

It also carried equipment for repairing a Russian-built oxygen
generator that overheated and spilled a toxic irritant last
month, forcing the crew to don masks and gloves in the first
emergency ever declared aboard the eight-year-old station.

Even from a safety perspective, I'd be more worried about the Elektrons than
Progress.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Old October 28th 06, 08:28 AM posted to sci.space.station
frédéric haessig

"Jochem Huhmann" a écrit dans le message de news:
(Derek Lyons) writes:

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...sion_page.html

As usual, problems with the all-singing, all-dancing Russian hardware
go unremarked.

Second docking attempt was successful. Seems at the first attempt one
Kurs antenna didn't fold away as it should (at least they couldn't
confirm it did).

Third one actually. The second one allowed for a little more probe
retraction but that was all. They had to try a third time to succeed. Good
thing there is so much margins in the energy system because it took several
orbits to finish