A Question about Planet Formation

Old April 17th 08, 10:45 PM posted to sci.astro.research
[email protected]

Default A Question about Planet Formation

Three days ago (4/10) I posted the below article under the same thread
title to sci.astro, but nobody there could give me a decent answer. So
now I am posting it here with hopes for better luck. Perhaps what I
should have said on sci.astro is: Please keep in mind that what I talk
about here appears to be a systematic effect.

I have a problem with understanding the reason of why six of our eight
planets rotate in the same direction as does our solar system (and
Venus and Uranus initially seem to have done the same), but I haven=B4t
found this issue discussed on this forum (*). Laz Marhenke mentioned
it in 1996 in his thread "Solar System questions" but the question
basically got sidestepped in the answer by Chris Carrier. Please
inform me, if I have overlooked any thread on this issue.

Neither have I been able to locate a webpage on which this issue is
explained. On http://www.bu.edu/core/cc105/lecture...stemFormation=
/L20-solsysformation.html
I found a mere mention of that this is due to the conservation of
angular momentum, and that supposedly the angular momentum (of
the ....?planet seed?) points in the same direction as it does in the
"initial rotating disk".

Whatever that means, it seems counterintuitive to (Laz and) me: If the
protoplanetary disk (proplyd) rotates in a keplerian manner, then, if
we put ourselves at any one point within such a disk, particles closer
to the center than us should overtake us on the side towards the
center, while particles further away from the center than us should
stay behind us on the opposite side. Thus, if we are fat enough to
capture particles from the disk by means of gravitation, the majority
of these particles should end up orbiting around us in a rotational
sense *opposite* to that of the proplyd, because otherwise they would
oppose the keplerian stream of particles around us, i.e. overtake us
on the far side from the center and stay behind us on the near side
from the center.

So where do I go wrong here? (or do I?) And of course, please give me
sources. I prefer webpages unless it=B4s a journal article.

And thank you in advance.

(*) Before posting here, I have also googled this forum for the terms
"planet" and "rotat" in combination with "protoplanetary disk" (zero
results).
Old September 13th 08, 09:45 AM
yuqingeng2007 yuqingeng2007 is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up adult joke28

Gas station TVGas Station TV says they will install television sets at five hundred gas stations and broadcast to motorists filling up their gas tanks. Imagine the programming. It's the perfect place to watch Debbie Does Dallas while Exxon does youPoly Aluminum Chloride
Poly aluminium Chloride