Teacher looking for a *good* lunar globe

Old January 26th 10, 04:17 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Lestrade

Default Teacher looking for a *good* lunar globe

I am going to visit a class of 11-yr olds and I would like to teach
them about the phases of the Moon. One prop that I thought I would
bring, and leave with them, is a lunar globe, but I am not finding
many for sale (here in the States). My budget is $200. If you know of
a good one, please let me know.
Also, if there are other visual aids that would help in understanding
phases and eclipses, I would love to hear about them.
thanks, JPL
Old January 26th 10, 06:06 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Staup

"Lestrade" wrote in message
I am going to visit a class of 11-yr olds and I would like to teach
them about the phases of the Moon. One prop that I thought I would
bring, and leave with them, is a lunar globe, but I am not finding
many for sale (here in the States). My budget is $200. If you know of
a good one, please let me know.
Also, if there are other visual aids that would help in understanding
phases and eclipses, I would love to hear about them.
thanks, JPL

http://www.worldglobes.com/celestial... obe&tid=exact

google is your friend

Old January 27th 10, 06:06 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Dennis Woos

I am going to visit a class of 11-yr olds and I would like to teach
them about the phases of the Moon. One prop that I thought I would
bring, and leave with them, is a lunar globe, but I am not finding
many for sale (here in the States). My budget is $200. If you know of
a good one, please let me know.
Also, if there are other visual aids that would help in understanding
phases and eclipses, I would love to hear about them.
thanks, JPL

A friend and I did a nice demonstration last year for a young school group,
and we used a regular globe for the moon and a bright spotlight for the sun.
It didn't seem to bother the kids that it was the Earth instead of the Moon,
and in fact one could then talk about how the Earth phases would look from
the Moon, etc. We also used the same setup to talk about the seasons.

Dennis

Old January 29th 10, 04:21 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John Crane[_2_]

"Lestrade" wrote in message
I am going to visit a class of 11-yr olds and I would like to teach
them about the phases of the Moon. One prop that I thought I would
bring, and leave with them, is a lunar globe, but I am not finding
many for sale (here in the States). My budget is $200. If you know of
a good one, please let me know.
Also, if there are other visual aids that would help in understanding
phases and eclipses, I would love to hear about them.
thanks, JPL

Edmind Scientific has lots of science related educational stuff:

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3080299

Including a $50 lunar globe

-J

Old January 29th 10, 06:27 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
OG

"Lestrade" wrote in message
I am going to visit a class of 11-yr olds and I would like to teach
them about the phases of the Moon. One prop that I thought I would
bring, and leave with them, is a lunar globe, but I am not finding
many for sale (here in the States). My budget is $200. If you know of
a good one, please let me know.
Also, if there are other visual aids that would help in understanding
phases and eclipses, I would love to hear about them.
thanks, JPL

How about making one?

PVA glue and kitchen roll on 2 balloons inflated to about 10 - 15 cm
diameter .
Make 2 hemispheres on the 'round' end of the balloon. 5 or 6 layers of paper
should make a seriously tough shell. When the glue has set remove the
balloons and use more paper and PVA to fix the two halves together.

When finally set, use shades of grey and white paint to colour highlands,
mare and crater ray systems.

You could even add a 'making the moon' activity into your visit, or suggest
it to the class teacher for a follow up activity. 11yo's often don't do
enough craft based classwork (IMO).