Spaceship 1

Old June 23rd 04, 12:14 AM
starlord

Default Spaceship 1

While the WhiteKnight was making it's way to the dropoff hight, they had
Dick Rutan talking along with the others.

Main thing that came out of this was:

1. A company could do this without the Feds butting in.

2. With the flight, Mojave Airport now became Mojave Space Port and Space
Flight Test Center, the first one in the nation.

3. The first man to reach space without riding a NASA rocket happened and
got his "Space Wings".

This craft was designed for the X Prize, and during the two weeks of flight
for that when they are ready, instead of carrying the extra ( Dead ) weight
that would be two more people, two live people ( Burt Rutan +? ) may take
the ride itself.

Once that is overwith, on a pay for ride base, Rutan may ( most likly will )
take others up to show them what it's like being up there, even for just a
few mins.

When asked about a craft that could Orbit the Earth, it was stated that they
could not tell anything about it, BUT there IS something on the drawing
boards.

Also, other companys, right there on the flight line have their own plans
for the X-Prize and other projects too.

They even mentioned X-Corp and the rocket plane and the engines they are
working on.

That they are bring a new era in the history of Aerospace into the area,
which, while maybe not as big as the feds have done in the past, it'll bring
in new jobs and people into the area too.

Old June 23rd 04, 12:48 AM
Phil Wheeler

starlord wrote:

While the WhiteKnight was making it's way to the dropoff hight, they had
Dick Rutan talking along with the others.

Main thing that came out of this was:

1. A company could do this without the Feds butting in.

But I expect they used a fair amount of core technology developed with
taxpayer money.

2. With the flight, Mojave Airport now became Mojave Space Port and Space
Flight Test Center, the first one in the nation.

I get through Mojave frequently. I'll always think of it as the Mojave
Airliner Storage Facility -- at least until space flights become more
frequent :-)

3. The first man to reach space without riding a NASA rocket happened and
got his "Space Wings".

Well -- that discounts quite a few Soviet/Russian astronauts -- and even
the American who paid $20M to ride up to the ISF on a Soyuz.

But the general point is a good one.

This craft was designed for the X Prize, and during the two weeks of flight
for that when they are ready, instead of carrying the extra ( Dead ) weight
that would be two more people, two live people ( Burt Rutan +? ) may take
the ride itself.

Are they required to have three aboard to win the prize or just seats
for three?

Once that is overwith, on a pay for ride base, Rutan may ( most likly will )
take others up to show them what it's like being up there, even for just a
few mins.

Seems like I heard a number like $98K a flight, but I was not paying
close attention.

When asked about a craft that could Orbit the Earth, it was stated that they
could not tell anything about it, BUT there IS something on the drawing
boards.

Also, other companys, right there on the flight line have their own plans
for the X-Prize and other projects too.

They even mentioned X-Corp and the rocket plane and the engines they are
working on.

That they are bring a new era in the history of Aerospace into the area,
which, while maybe not as big as the feds have done in the past, it'll bring
in new jobs and people into the area too.

Are they based in Mojave (or nearby) or just using it for a flight facility?

Phil

Old June 23rd 04, 01:57 AM
starlord

Nope, rutan designed the ship and the whiteknight too and they show it. The
engine was a hybred rubber burner made by a poway company.

For the x-prize they have a choise, send it up with one man PLUS the dead
weight (led bars/water,whatever) of two other people.

OR

3 live people in the craft and make 2 flights in 10 days.

Rutan, x-corp, others are all right there on Mojave. Others are elsewhere,
one in canada is building a kind of uprated V2 bird! Haven't really seen
photos of the others.

yep, 98K for the first rides, but heck, it's a start.

After the flight they had the FAA man sign the offical cert. of Mojave
becoming a Space Port / Space Flight test center. First land locked
non-grovement one.

Old June 23rd 04, 02:56 AM
gk

"starlord" wrote in message
news
While the WhiteKnight was making it's way to the dropoff hight, they had
Dick Rutan talking along with the others.

Burt Rutan.

Old June 23rd 04, 02:56 AM
gk

news

Old June 23rd 04, 07:34 AM
starlord

No, Burt was in the Flight HQ and getting readings from Edwards AFB radar.
His brother, Dick Rutan was on the press platform talking about the event
and the ship. I know who I heard, I was THERE.

"gk" wrote in message
news

Old June 23rd 04, 02:37 PM
BllFs6

yep, 98K for the first rides, but heck, it's a start.

well.....

given there are PLENTY of families out there that own those gawd awful
expensive and generally not used to their potential hummers/suvs (not to
mention insurance and fuel costs)....98k for the ride of a lifetime doesnt seem
so bad.....

I know if could only do one of the following:

a - spend my life driving "luxury" cars

or

b - drive more economical and reasonable vehicles my whole life so that I could
afford to do MY dream of a lifetime (be it a spaceship ride, climbing everest,
going to antarctica, traveling the world for a year etc etc)....

I'd rather chose b than impress the jone's with an all terrain SUV that looks
like it never has and never will leave the pavement.....

take care

Blll