Tales of Cataloguing X -- the Optical VCV Catalogue

Old August 6th 14, 01:59 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Eric Flesch

Default Tales of Cataloguing X -- the Optical VCV Catalogue

In this corner, your humble servant. In the other corner, the
Veron-Cetty & Veron Quasar Catalog (VCV: 2010,A&A,518,10). Yes, I've
been down for the count a few times in this contest as documented in
this series of postings of which this is the tenth. But, you see, I
don't like looking at blank sky when I was told (authoritatively) that
there is a quasar there. Maybe it's my Dutch heritage, that
background Calvinist fire & brimstone which impels me onwards until,
darn it, every last quasar is where it's supposed to be.

Accordingly, the final bell is sounding and I can announce (to a
sparse audience) the "Optical VCV Catalogue" which maps the original
VCV catalogue, line by line, to the true optical J2000 for every
object -- er, except for the ones which don't exist, and there were a
few of those. The counts a 168,939 QSOs/AGN/BlLacs presented in
VCV, of which 158,825 are found to be type I, 4119 are type II, and
5995 are found not to be quasars.

The 5995 non-quasars are mostly from changes in SDSS classifications
going from SDSS-DR7 to SDSS-DR8 due to re-processing of the spectra
via an improved algorithm, and the SDSS-DR9Q & SDSS-DR10Q manual
releases which reclassified many objects via visual inspection of the
spectra. There are also 905 objects which the original authors did
not classify as quasars or stated them as questionable -- VCV were a
bit optimistic in their inclusions sometimes. Also, 58 objects are
duplicates, and 26 objects are not seen at all -- not even after I've
used all the tricks documented in my paper 2013,PASA,30,4.

This catalogue can be used as an optically accurate analogue to the
original VCV catalogue, and was a necessary waystation on the road to
producing an issue-free Million Quasars (Milliquas) catalogue which is
now on its version 4.0. That catalogue, and the Optical VCV catalogue
with ReadMe, are available from the Milliquas home page at:

http://quasars.org/milliquas.htm

cheers,
Eric Flesch
Whakatane, New Zealand

[Mod. note: with apologies to the Verons, accented character removed
-- mjh]