Moon on film

Old September 26th 03, 02:49 PM
Michael A. Covington

Default Moon on film

"Al Arduengo" wrote in message

I wanted to thank you for that shot. Absolutely beautiful. I still use
film but I am still trying to get it right. Are there any disadvantages
to using 100 speed film? My issue is that I use a derotator and long
exposures are somewhat iffy. Does that speed of film require
significantly longer exposire time than 400?

Depends on what you're exposing. His moon shot was probably 1/100 second
and doesn't require a de-rotator or even a clock drive.

In long exposures (like 30 minutes), because of differences in reciprocity
failure, a 100-speed new-technology slide film may actually pick up more
than a 400-speed print film.

Old September 26th 03, 02:49 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Tom Rankin" wrote in message
Very nice image! However...

We are not viewing your 'photo'. We are viewing a scanned image at
(xxx?) dpi, from our 100 dpi monitors, with xxx colors (insert your
value here)! :-)

Do you see my point? You can not prove your contention over the internet.

I don't think he was challenging anyone to a debate. And I strongly suspect
the original slide looked a good bit smoother than what you saw on your
screen.

Old September 26th 03, 06:32 PM
Jose Suro

Thanks so much for the kind comment. Your book has been excellent by
allowing me to cut a lot of the trial and error time inherent in
astrophtography - worth every penny in terms of my time.

I haven't tried Ektachrome in years because it was always so blue in
daylight photography. Provia 100 and 400 have worked very well for me. My
friend at the camera store told me yesterday that Fuji just came out with
Velvia 100F and I might try that and the Ektachrome E100G next.

Take Care,

JAS

"Michael A. Covington" wrote
in message ...
Nice work. Provia 100F is an excellent material, surprisingly

fine-grained.
Have you tried Ektachrome E100G? Supposedly similar to Provia 100F, but
with good response to hydrogen-alpha, so it will pick up nebulae. My

first
roll hasn't been developed yet.
--
Clear skies,

Michael Covington -- www.covingtoninnovations.com
and (new) How to Use a Computerized Telescope

Old September 26th 03, 06:42 PM
Jose Suro

Hi Tom,

Thanks . You are right about the film scanning and resolution thing. I
made a statement of "belief" which is not the same as a statement of fact..
In my experience with both film and digital, film being an analog device
seems to offer better tonal gradations at the original - but then only if
properly exposed. The slide is not only a lot smoother than the scan but the
tonal range is better still. The scan was made at the local drugstore by the
way.

Take Care,

JAS

"Michael A. Covington" wrote
in message ...

Old September 26th 03, 09:25 PM
Tom Rankin

No, not a debate, sorry, I'm not trying to be contentious.

I do not doubt the print is better than the digital post.

Michael A. Covington wrote:

"Tom Rankin" wrote in message

Very nice image! However...

We are not viewing your 'photo'. We are viewing a scanned image at
(xxx?) dpi, from our 100 dpi monitors, with xxx colors (insert your
value here)! :-)

Do you see my point? You can not prove your contention over the internet.

I don't think he was challenging anyone to a debate. And I strongly suspect
the original slide looked a good bit smoother than what you saw on your
screen.

--
Tom Rankin - Programmer by day, amateur astronomer by night!
Mid-Hudson Astronomy Association - http://jump.to/mhaa

When replying, remove the capital letters from my email address.

Old September 27th 03, 12:15 AM
Jose Suro

Wow! good eyesight. Can't get any good help anymore at the local drugstore
where I got this scanned .

Well, the picture is not unadultered any more - I had to go in there pixel
by pixel and take that hair out!

Take Care,

JAS

"Benoit Morrissette" wrote in message
There is a hair going over Eratosthenes...

Good night!

Benoît Morrissette

Old September 27th 03, 12:48 AM
Michael A. Covington

"Jose Suro" wrote in message
m...
Thanks so much for the kind comment. Your book has been excellent by
allowing me to cut a lot of the trial and error time inherent in
astrophtography - worth every penny in terms of my time.

Glad to be of service...

I haven't tried Ektachrome in years because it was always so blue in
daylight photography. Provia 100 and 400 have worked very well for me. My
friend at the camera store told me yesterday that Fuji just came out with
Velvia 100F and I might try that and the Ektachrome E100G next.

Those Fuji films have no response at 656 nm (hydrogen-alpha).

Ektachrome was re-engineered a few years ago and is much better than it used
to be, in all respects. E200 may be the best of the new crop.

Clear skies,
Michael