ASTRO: No astro, bad weather (so OT freaky storm/front photograph)

Old July 17th 07, 08:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

Default ASTRO: No astro, bad weather (so OT freaky storm/front photograph)

Bad, bad weather for a while now here in Holland, so no looking at the
nightskies here.

Yesterday was the worst: (and here comes the OT part ;-) ) I was looking
out my windows, the sky was black, humidity high and high temperatures ...
and then suddenly this monster came rolling towards here. Don't know the
English for this kind of formation but things were really swirling in and
out the cloud. Only after this passed there was a VERY heavy rain.
The whole thing was too big to capure in 1 shot, so I took 3 and stiched
them together. Did some work on it to get some details from the cloud/front.
It was very impressive (and freaky) to see it roll and develope .... maybe
not special when you live in Tornado Alley but for here it is special.
The photograph is taken from my appartment, overlooking the centre of
Haarlem, city near Amsterdam.

--
Menno
=====================

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_0716_065405_middel2.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	1036
Old July 17th 07, 09:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"TheCroW" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, that's typical of the kind of weather we get here in tornado alley
from time to time. Did you see the images of the dust storm that rolled
into Phoenix, Arizona?

http://video.ap.org/v/Legacy.aspx?pa...Pus&&f=1139949

George

George

Old July 18th 07, 01:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

TheCroW wrote:
Bad, bad weather for a while now here in Holland, so no looking at the
nightskies here.

Yesterday was the worst: (and here comes the OT part ;-) ) I was looking
out my windows, the sky was black, humidity high and high temperatures ...
and then suddenly this monster came rolling towards here. Don't know the
English for this kind of formation but things were really swirling in and
out the cloud. Only after this passed there was a VERY heavy rain.
The whole thing was too big to capure in 1 shot, so I took 3 and stiched
them together. Did some work on it to get some details from the cloud/front.
It was very impressive (and freaky) to see it roll and develope .... maybe
not special when you live in Tornado Alley but for here it is special.
The photograph is taken from my appartment, overlooking the centre of
Haarlem, city near Amsterdam.

That looks like a typical shelf cloud, a gust front that can form at the
leading edge of a supercell thunder storm. We saw them all the time in
Nebraska, they are not as common up here in northern Minnesota but if
you are out on the lake you don't want one of those sneaking up on you.

Sounds like you don't get severe thunder storms in Holland like we do
here. When one does go through it usually means I'll need to cut my way
out to the highway with the chain saw. During the summer I keep a good
supply of gas and bar oil on hand for the chain saw!

http://www.answers.com/main/ntq-dsna...%252Dcloud.jpg

Rick

Old July 18th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

TheCroW wrote:
[...]

That's true. I was out on Kentucky Lake a few years ago when one of those
reared its ugly head. We were on a pontoon boat, and immediately headed
back to the marina. The wind-driven waves were so bad that it felt like
being on the ocean. It pounded us so badly that we thought it would either
destroy the boat or throw us overboard. And if the waves didn't kill us,
we thought that the lightning would. Obviously, we made it, but it was
quite a harrowing experience.

George

Old July 18th 07, 05:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

TheCroW wrote:

[...]

I got caught once too. Was fishing a shore facing the other way and
didn't realize it was coming until suddenly it was very dark. No
thunder warning. I headed home fast only 7 minutes away at the 40 mph
the boat does at full throttle. But that was directly toward the storm.
A mile from the cabin I hit the gust front. It was like hitting a
concrete wall. The boat stopped dead throwing me forward into the bow
of the boat. It is a side tiller with no console. Somehow I didn't
lose hold of the steering tiller and held it steady into the wind as I
was driven slowly backwards at full throttle forward. I had to hold it
perfectly into the 100+ mph winds with pieces of trees and one boat
flying toward me. A 14 aluminum boat with 25 hp motor had been ripped
from its dock and was flying through the air at me. It missed, hitting
the trees on Dead Island. It was a pile of scrap. After 2 minutes the
wind was gone and I again headed home in a hail storm. Only pea size so
not too bad. Turned out my neighbor had been the other direction and
missed the gust front but got hit by 2" hail not the pea size that hit
me and he wasn't wearing a shirt. He looked like he'd gone 10 rounds,
bare fisted, with Mike Tyson. He even had the torn ear to prove it!

In a pontoon I'd have been in real trouble they steer more like a dead
whale and I needed very responsive steering to keep headed directly into
that gust front. That was 20 years ago. I don't know if I have the
strength today to control the tiller if it happens again. I don't even
tempt the weather any more!

Rick

Old July 18th 07, 05:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

Yep, that's typical of the kind of weather we get here in tornado alley
from time to time. Did you see the images of the dust storm that rolled
into Phoenix, Arizona?

http://video.ap.org/v/Legacy.aspx?pa...Pus&&f=1139949

George

Wow!! That's looks almost the same as when my neighbour is cleaing her
carpet!! :-))
But amazing video!!!

Menno

Old July 18th 07, 05:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

That looks like a typical shelf cloud, a gust front that can form at the
leading edge of a supercell thunder storm. We saw them all the time in
Nebraska, they are not as common up here in northern Minnesota but if you
are out on the lake you don't want one of those sneaking up on you.

Sounds like you don't get severe thunder storms in Holland like we do
here. When one does go through it usually means I'll need to cut my way
out to the highway with the chain saw. During the summer I keep a good
supply of gas and bar oil on hand for the chain saw!

Rick

That is correct ... we have storms but maybe 2 or 3 (semi)severe ones a
year. Trees fall down, roofs and houses damaged, trucks blown away ... that
kinds of things. But this shelfcloud is really rare over here.

Menno

Old July 18th 07, 05:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

TheCroW wrote:

[...]

Wow, you were lucky.

In a pontoon I'd have been in real trouble they steer more like a dead
whale and I needed very responsive steering to keep headed directly into
that gust front. That was 20 years ago. I don't know if I have the
strength today to control the tiller if it happens again. I don't even
tempt the weather any more!

Rick

Tell me about it. The storm hit us before we realized how bad it really
was. The pounding of the waves against the front of the pontoon boat was
so bad I didn't dare try to go any faster than about 5 mph. We just limped
along slowly back to the marina, which was about one mile away, and hung on
for dear life. In retrospect, we should have just stayed in the cove where
we were instead of venturing out into the main channel of the lake, but
when the adrenoline starts pumping, you don't always make the right
decisions.

George

Old July 18th 07, 08:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Shawn[_5_]

TheCroW wrote:
Bad, bad weather for a while now here in Holland, so no looking at the
nightskies here.

Yesterday was the worst: (and here comes the OT part ;-) ) I was looking
out my windows, the sky was black, humidity high and high temperatures ...
and then suddenly this monster came rolling towards here. Don't know the
English for this kind of formation but things were really swirling in and
out the cloud. Only after this passed there was a VERY heavy rain.
The whole thing was too big to capure in 1 shot, so I took 3 and stiched
them together. Did some work on it to get some details from the cloud/front.
It was very impressive (and freaky) to see it roll and develope .... maybe
not special when you live in Tornado Alley but for here it is special.
The photograph is taken from my appartment, overlooking the centre of
Haarlem, city near Amsterdam.

Nice picture! Looks like something from the movie "Independence Day" :-)
Lots more similar pics from the American west here (I'm not affiliated,
I just like the site):
http://www.extremeinstability.com/2004.htm

Shawn